Wells Fargo cancelling debt before I disputed

CandiedCredit

Hi everyone, I am a bit confused about a letter I have received from Wells Fargo. It is an old auto loan that was charged off in 2018 (repo).  I have only removed addresses and frozen lexisnexis,innovis, etc at this point. I received a letter from WF stating that due to the age of my account they are cancelling the balance, and will no longer attempt to collect. This seems strange to me that they would voluntarily cancel a debt before I've disputed anything. What should I do if anything regarding this letter. I'm hoping the credit Gods are just dropping a blessing down on me :) 

5 hours ago, CandiedCredit said:

old auto loan

charged off in 2018 (repo)

This isn't that old.  

Roughly how much was the deficiency balance?

due to the age of my account they are cancelling the balance, and will no longer attempt to collect

There must be some other explanation.  Does the letter say anything about them selling the debt?

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

There must be some other explanation.  Does the letter say anything about them selling the debt?

That was might thought. They may be canceling their side of the collection and just selling it off to a CA. How long ago did you get the letter? This could be residual from when they said they were getting rid of their personal credit lines.

6 hours ago, cv91915 said:

This isn't that old.  

Roughly how much was the deficiency balance?

The loan was opened in 2016, charged off 2018. Balance is 11,900. The letter didnt say anything about selling it. I got the letter yesterday 8/21/2021

5 hours ago, schizcat said:

That was might thought. They may be canceling their side of the collection and just selling it off to a CA. How long ago did you get the letter? This could be residual from when they said they were getting rid of their personal credit lines.

The letter didnt say anything about selling the account.  It does say they will no longer accept payments, and that they will report a zero balance to the bureaus.  they say they are forgiving my debt

Canceling says you can expect to see a 1099-C to deal with on your taxes next year. 

Clearing the balance sheet is NOT unusual, especially for banks under increased scrutiny.  And it could well be that they are set to show a larger loss for Q3 as a result of the cancellations, which then allows them to be leaner going forward. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Roddy1212
      Why Pay for someone to help you build your credit with this tool its very easy and will help you build credit back up in no time!
    • By Chriskinda
      I'm 3 for 3 on firm no's. I don't know what else to do. 
      All CEOs, or their staff, replied saying they are required to report accurate information. As far as I'm aware that is true, but technically, they can choose whether or not to report the account at all? Is it worth responding and telling them that, or am I just wasting my time? The worst ones are paid charge offs from 2017, so I suppose they won't be affecting my credit in the near future. 
      But the most recent is synchrony/paypal credit from 2020. Worst status 120 days late, not charged off, but last 30 day late was in January 2021. Then I paid it off completely. It's tanking my credit score and I really want to get a better interest rate on my car. Side note: being bipolar sucks. I was diagnosed in 2020, it consists of impulsive spending followed by months long depression. I've got a handle on it now that I know what I'm dealing with... But do I really need to wait 7 years to stop dealing with the consequences of my manic episodes?
       Thank you.
    • By Compton56
      Iv been battling this car loan late payment with Ally financial for a year now. Iv called and sent dispute/forgiveness letters to Ally trying to get the 30 days late payment removed but they wont budge. I've always paid a lil more then what's due. Because of Covid I looked up the Fair credit act to see if there's protections for us from having negative marks on our credit during the pandemic but still no luck for me. Does anyone have any suggestion for me this is my only late payment.
    • By Compton56
      I tried a 100 day trial for a mattress and didn't relies I was basically  taking out a small loan. Before the trial ended I refunded the mattress and they gave me back my money and now I have a closed installment account on my report.  All my payments where on time I just want to remove the closed account from my Experian credit report. My original dispute was rejected does anyone have any suggestions?
    • By lcuervos
      Hello,
      My mother recently sold her house and I am trying to help her figure out what debts to pay off, which to try and settle for less, and which to not bother with now or at all.
      She is looking to get another property (maybe a 15yr fixed mortgage?) and so far has a credit rating of 716, but according to the report I see the bank payoffs after the sale of the house have not been reported. These payoffs came out to about 95K. Her husband died and much of the debt is under his name, however I think due to the state she lives in, the debt is considered hers as well? The debt under his name does not show up on her report.

After the sale, she has about 115K to work with, but with these remaining debts:
      a private loan for 10K, no interest
      ~4000K owed to plumbing company for repairs
      credit cards: ~11K in her name on 3 cards, ~1500K in husband's
      ~1200K owed to hospital

All of the above was her now passed husband's except the 3 credit cards mentioned. In order for her to successfully purchase a new home, get rid of as much debt as possible, but still try and have something saved for emergencies or to use otherwise, what would you suggest?

Is it worth seeking paid professional advice? Is there a better place to post this?

Thanks for any and all help.

L.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    x3782d

Important Information

Guidelines