Jump to content

Unauthorized Credit Card Charge


Menta33
 Share

Recommended Posts

If I gave a contractor my credit card to make a specific purchase and they made a second charge for their own gain and they refused to reimburse me, does this come under the Visa rules for an unauthorized charge?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 hours ago, Menta33 said:

If I gave a contractor my credit card to make a specific purchase and they made a second charge for their own gain and they refused to reimburse me, does this come under the Visa rules for an unauthorized charge?

Is the purchase related in ANY way to the work being performed for you BY the contractor? 

 

If yes, then it would be a grey area where they likely found it was authorized.

 

If no, then expect them to want you to complete a fraud affidavit which could ALSO complicate the work being done by the contractor.

 

What did the contractor say when you jammed them up about it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, centex said:

Is the purchase related in ANY way to the work being performed for you BY the contractor? 

 

If yes, then it would be a grey area where they likely found it was authorized.

 

If no, then expect them to want you to complete a fraud affidavit which could ALSO complicate the work being done by the contractor.

 

What did the contractor say when you jammed them up about it?

 

The contractor felt we owed them money and tried to recover it by buying tools for themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Menta33 said:

 

The contractor felt we owed them money and tried to recover it by buying tools for themselves.

I've got to concur with CV...this is a police matter.  Don't let them give you their 'civil dispute' crap.  That would potentially be a felony in some jurisdictions...hopefully you live somewhere that still believes in prosecuting such things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Menta33 said:

If I gave a contractor my credit card to make a specific purchase and they made a second charge for their own gain and they refused to reimburse me, does this come under the Visa rules for an unauthorized charge?

 

I expect your issuer would prefer not to get in the middle of such a dispute.  You've given them a convenient out:

 

I'm pretty confident that under most cardholder agreements you're not permitted to simply give someone else your card and use it for a purchase from a third party, posturing as the cardholder.  In fact, I expect most issuers would see such an action as being an open invitation to a fraudulent charge, should that individual be so minded.

 

Your issuer would likely deny your unauthorized charge claim, saying that you failed to appropriately safeguard your account, as required under your cardholder agreement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      183,040
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    16bishop
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines