Unauthorized Credit Card Charge

Menta33

If I gave a contractor my credit card to make a specific purchase and they made a second charge for their own gain and they refused to reimburse me, does this come under the Visa rules for an unauthorized charge?

7 hours ago, Menta33 said:

If I gave a contractor my credit card to make a specific purchase and they made a second charge for their own gain and they refused to reimburse me, does this come under the Visa rules for an unauthorized charge?

Is the purchase related in ANY way to the work being performed for you BY the contractor? 

If yes, then it would be a grey area where they likely found it was authorized.

If no, then expect them to want you to complete a fraud affidavit which could ALSO complicate the work being done by the contractor.

What did the contractor say when you jammed them up about it?

5 hours ago, centex said:

Is the purchase related in ANY way to the work being performed for you BY the contractor? 

If yes, then it would be a grey area where they likely found it was authorized.

If no, then expect them to want you to complete a fraud affidavit which could ALSO complicate the work being done by the contractor.

What did the contractor say when you jammed them up about it?

The contractor felt we owed them money and tried to recover it by buying tools for themselves.

7 hours ago, Menta33 said:

The contractor felt we owed them money and tried to recover it by buying tools for themselves.

I've got to concur with CV...this is a police matter.  Don't let them give you their 'civil dispute' crap.  That would potentially be a felony in some jurisdictions...hopefully you live somewhere that still believes in prosecuting such things.

16 hours ago, Menta33 said:

I expect your issuer would prefer not to get in the middle of such a dispute.  You've given them a convenient out:

I'm pretty confident that under most cardholder agreements you're not permitted to simply give someone else your card and use it for a purchase from a third party, posturing as the cardholder.  In fact, I expect most issuers would see such an action as being an open invitation to a fraudulent charge, should that individual be so minded.

Your issuer would likely deny your unauthorized charge claim, saying that you failed to appropriately safeguard your account, as required under your cardholder agreement.