looking to cash out refinance to pay off active chapter 13 bankruptcy

Is there a lender/loan for me?

I have an approved court order motion to incur additional debt to pay off my Chapter 13 bankruptcy early and without penalty wiht proceeds from a home refinance.    The chapter 13 payoff amount is about $61,000 to be paid to my trustee.

The bankruptcy has been active 2 years 10 months with all payments on time.

My first and second mortgages total about $31,000.  

Income is $58,000 salary plus $30,000 annual retirement pension.

Savings are $10,000 checking and $160,000 in retirement savings.

When the bankruptcy is paid my only debt will be the new mortgage.  approx $476 for monthly payment for 30 years at 4%. borrowing $100,000.

zillow estimate  of house is $206,000.  

My median credit score is 688.  I don't have any late payments.  Just me on the loan.

thanks,

The most lenient loan program I am aware of is FHA, and they require a wait of 2 years after discharge. 

... or 1 year if you can demonstrate "extenuating circumstances." 

Given how low the bar is for FHA requirements in general, I would imagine that this wouldn't be difficult to show.

But that still leaves you with one year after discharge, a milestone you have not yet reached.

Wait for other input before proceeding.  My understanding is better than superficial, but this is certainly not my area of expertise.

Good luck. 

So out of curiosity and unaware that paying off my chapter 13 without making my creditors whole again was even a possibility I asked my trustee what my payoff amount is.  In the payoff letter it mentioned that if I wanted to use proceeds from a refinance from my house I could do so with court approval.  The payoff roughly being the amount of my remaining payments seems like a good option if I can find someone to refinance my house.  

I asked an online lender who didn't right off say no to a refinance to pay off an active chapter 13.  I applied for the loan,  a couple of weeks went by and they still didn't say no.  I then asked my bankruptcy attorney to file a motion to incur debt for the purpose of paying off my chapter 13 from proceeds of refinancing my house (the motion is very specific to a refinance).  Letters were sent to my creditors and with no objections the motion was approved by the court.    

Now I am legally allowed to refinance my home.  I have sent the court document to the lender where I have applied  and they seem to be stalling or maybe just slow I don't know.  I am trying to find another option if they don't come through.  

I had  read somewhere that an FHA loan could be done in as little as one day after a Chapter 13.  I guess in this case I am still asking for it pay an active chapter 13.  Are there no 'un conventional' loans that don't care  about chapter 13 if I qualify in every other way?  Where exactly do the Chapter 13 wait restrictions come from?

Selling the house now I don't really want to do.  I also don't have court approval do so although I don't know why they wouldn't since they have allowed me to refinance.

I am close to 3 years in a 7 year chapter 13.  Covid allowed me to extend my chapter 13 by an additional 2 years (something I wish I hadn't done).

thanks,

I have found a couple of web sources that say what I want can be done if I qualify with a lender that can do FHA loan manual underwriting.  Any idea who does that? thanks,

17 hours ago, jde said:

I have found a couple of web sources that say what I want can be done if I qualify with a lender that can do FHA loan manual underwriting.  Any idea who does that? thanks,

If this is truly a possibility, the underwriting costs for the lender are probably significant, and therefore places that do this may not advertise it.

I would call some local banks.  There may be some who do this as part of their CRA requirements.

I called a few local banks.  One local bank said no but  referred me to a mortgage broker with an FHA underwriter on staff.  I called them and found someone with experience doing FHA loans in active bankruptcies, usually for purchase.  I submitted all of my documentation and things are moving along.  I signed disclosures and paid for an appraisal.    3.25% 30 years fixed, closing costs look really expensive but will be worth it to me. What could go wrong.

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, jde said:

Hit Man, thanks on the above suggestion to call local banks.  That put me on the good track.  I closed on an FHA refinance today that is paying off  my active chapter 13.  

Really happy to hear that.  Thanks for posting the outcome!  :)  

On 8/6/2021 at 5:41 PM, jde said:

My median credit score is 688.  I don't have any late payments.  Just me on the loan.

My comment here is absolutely secondary to the excellent feedback from @cv91915.

I just want to make sure you're referring to your mortgage scores, and not another score such as FICO 8 or Vantage, which are frequently offered by some credit card sites or other "educational" credit sites.

The pertinent scores are FICO 2/FICO 3/FICO 5 (each one pertains to a specific CRA) and are most readily attained by purchasing a 3-bureau report from myFICO.com. (disclosed in the "Additional Scores" section of your report.)  These can vary considerably from FICO 8 scores.

Just as an example, my median FICO 8 is approx 840; my median FICO 2/3/5 is approx 760.

The scores were given to me from  loan originators when I talked to them on the phone, first Amerisave after I gave him permission and then later Stockton Mortgage after I gave  permisson.  I do know my credit reports now show 2 inquiries and I received letters in the mail from both lenders saying they had made credit inquiries and the letters included the scores.  I didn't really look to see where the scores came from or what they were called.  I think the three scores were 610, 688 and 690.