Jump to content

airline issues make me glad I'm driving...


Recommended Posts

Another Vegas trip coming up...I had already decided to do it as a driving trip, but this lunacy at the airports with Spirit and now American makes me doubly glad I am not going to be in the airports. 

 

Trip out is pretty straightforward but I am doing a decidedly off-the-beaten path return, at least through Arizona and New Mexico.  I've seen enough of West Texas that I don't need to do back roads in my own State LOL. 

 

And by off-the-beaten path, I mean roads that were eventually labeled as an Alternate on US Highways and also some minor State roads that take me through Indian territories of different tribes and also around the north rim of the Grand Canyon.  The return adds a few hundred miles and about five hours, but it IS a part of the nation I have only flown over in the past.  

 

I just have to figure out which vehicle to take...F-Type has more creature comforts and satellite while the Spider allows me to go topless for at least part of the drive.  It also gets ~35MPG, making it the economy car. 

 

For our Vegas-area members...I'll be out there Monday through Wednesday night, leaving Thursday. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a fun drive.

 

We keep talking about doing a road trip and taking our time, and that always somehow ends with booking flights and ordering TAD a travel guide so he can plan our ground activities.  

 

Have fun.  Be safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time lately that American Air suffers a snafu (such as the latest bollocks), I tell myself that this is just a hiccup in the road to recovery and that they'll be gliding into smoother airspace any minute now.

 

Part of me has welcomed the latest disruptions as a possible opportunity to go ahead and snag another block of AAL at < $18/sh.  The freakier side of my brain is starting to question whether AA really knows what it's doing (and if I should be paring shares instead).

 

Are you seriously questioning which vehicle makes the trek???  (Hands down, the Spider ... if you take the truck, I promise I'll visit your home while you're away and jack the Spider!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hdporter said:

Every time lately that American Air suffers a snafu (such as the latest bollocks), I tell myself that this is just a hiccup in the road to recovery and that they'll be gliding into smoother airspace any minute now.

 

Part of me has welcomed the latest disruptions as a possible opportunity to go ahead and snag another block of AAL at < $18/sh.  The freakier side of my brain is starting to question whether AA really knows what it's doing (and if I should be paring shares instead).

 

Are you seriously questioning which vehicle makes the trek???  (Hands down, the Spider ... if you take the truck, I promise I'll visit your home while you're away and jack the Spider!)

F-Type is far from a truck...it is the Jaguar coupe. 

 

You are thinking F-series, which I did used to have one of in the one-ton 4x4 CC variant...diesel, of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, centex said:

F-Type is far from a truck...it is the Jaguar coupe. 

 

You are thinking F-series, which I did used to have one of in the one-ton 4x4 CC variant...diesel, of course.

 

And that's what comes from living in Georgia 10 years ...

 

(nothing that a little time outside of Boston won't cure; target move date is currently Sep 16 -- roughly 18 mo later than original intent; it's just been one thing after another ...)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah after reading articles about these flight cancellations I was a little nervous about my flights especially since I had connections. Lucily the flights were just delayed a bit and that's all.

 

I did blow it somehow at the DLF Airport for the connecting flight. They called my name over the intercom and when I rushed to the gate they had already boarded. My new fitbit watch didn't adjust quickly to the time change like my phone and I didn't realize I had to open a new boarding pass. Live and learn. Just not use to connecting flights.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm kind of impressed with some of the interviews of passengers that have been conducted. Not all the TV crews sought out the most financially destitute person to interview.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Found out through the grapevine, a couple of employees, who I don't know, have spent the last three days trying to get out of FL.

 

I sent them an email on something called Amtrak. It's a long haul, but they will arrive home at NY Penn Station sometime tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2021 at 7:31 PM, StarkRaven$ said:

Yeah after reading articles about these flight cancellations I was a little nervous about my flights especially since I had connections. Lucily the flights were just delayed a bit and that's all.

 

I did blow it somehow at the DLF Airport for the connecting flight. They called my name over the intercom and when I rushed to the gate they had already boarded. My new fitbit watch didn't adjust quickly to the time change like my phone and I didn't realize I had to open a new boarding pass. Live and learn. Just not use to connecting flights.

 

That sucks.  How long before you got on another flight out of there?

 

I'm a diehard fan of the paper boarding pass for a variety of reasons, and I guess I'll add this one to the list.  😛 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, cv91915 said:

 

That sucks.  How long before you got on another flight out of there?

 

I'm a diehard fan of the paper boarding pass for a variety of reasons, and I guess I'll add this one to the list.  😛 

I was very lucky and was able to board the existing flight. I didn't notice on the SWA online site there was an extra boarding tab which was the connecting flight. When I ran up to the gate I showed the SWA attendant the wrong online boarding pass which was SAN to DAL. I needed to board DAL to TUL. He was perturbed at me to say the very least but instantly I found the second tab which had the correct boarding info. I agree with you about the paper boarding passes. But, would I be able to find a kiosk to print my connecting flight by all the gates?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

I was very lucky and was able to board the existing flight. I didn't notice on the SWA online site there was an extra boarding tab which was the connecting flight. When I ran up to the gate I showed the SWA attendant the wrong online boarding pass which was SAN to DAL. I needed to board DAL to TUL. He was perturbed at me to say the very least but instantly I found the second tab which had the correct boarding info. I agree with you about the paper boarding passes. But, would I be able to find a kiosk to print my connecting flight by all the gates?

 

I misunderstood. 

 

If you are already inside security in most cases you'd probably have to have a gate agent print a boarding pass for you, but don't wait that long.  :)

 

I always print the boarding passes when I check in on the airline's web site and put them in my bag the day/night before.

 

I have a rigid routine when I prep for travel, up to and including how I pack and which pockets in my laptop bag contain certain things. 

 

The repetition has taken the thinking out of it, and dramatically reduced common frustrating outcomes (like opening my bag and realizing the power cord for my laptop is still at home, or that I've forgotten to pack a black belt).

 

 

 

Edited by cv91915
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cv91915 said:

 

I misunderstood. 

 

If you are already inside security in most cases you'd probably have to have a gate agent print a boarding pass for you, but don't wait that long.  :)

 

I always print the boarding passes when I check in on the airline's web site and put them in my bag the day/night before.

 

I have a rigid routine when I prep for travel, up to and including how I pack and which pockets in my laptop bag contain certain things. 

 

The repetitionso has taken the thinking out of it, and dramatically reduced common frustrating outcomes (like opening my bag and realizing the power cord for my laptop is still at home, or that I've forgotten to pack a black belt).

 

 

 

Thanks CV for responding. I appreciate it. One last question;  what if there are changes and or delays? Will that same boarding pass suffice you printed out the night before or would you go back to the gate agent to get a new one?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

Thanks CV for responding. I appreciate it. One last question;  what if there are changes and or delays? Will that same boarding pass suffice you printed out the night before or would you go back to the gate agent to get a new one?

 

As long as you're on the same flight the paper boarding pass works, regardless of how late it departs.

 

I can only speak for AA, but in the event of a cancelation or a missed connection you can move yourself to another flight using their web site or the app (vs. waiting in line or calling).  Once you're confirmed on another flight you'll need a new boarding pass. 

 

In this instance I'll generally use the boarding pass in the AA app vs. waiting in line at the new departure gate.  If there's time, though, I'll go to an Admirals Club and have them print the new pass(es) for me, since I'm killing time there anyway. 

 

Without a lounge, I'd just just use the electronic boarding pass for the new flight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3617 miles done.  142 gallons of premium burned.  No tickets, no accidents.  Home. 

 

Western  US is absolutely insane when it comes to price at the pump...one place north of Vegas was actually north of $4.50 per gallon...I felt LESS robbed a little further up the road when I found premium for ONLY $4.35.  Even Phoenix area was less than $3.70. 

 

I learned yesterday that some of my mapped route was actually part of the old route 666 (Devils Highway).  Roughly 120 miles at night (not by design) with turns that had suggested speeds of 10MPH in some places, signs alerting you that no plowing at night occurs during the winter and that they don't patrol at night...no gas stations that I could see for most of that section AND not a single other vehicle to be found in the entire stretch.  I did, however, see an open-range cow when I stopped on one of the corners to get something out of the cooler.  Yes, an effing COW!

 

Coming out of El Paso, I went what seemed like 100 miles of pure hell in the way of torrential downpours.  Slight rains had surrounded me on the drive out last weekend, not only in west Texas but also near Tucson and Phoenix.  It was as if the rain was following me...surprised Vegas didn't get dumped on last week...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I can attest to the flight nonsense these days.  Just got back from a trip, and had issues both ways.  Flight was on United in F, used miles for the tickets.

 

Flight out - everyone boarded on plane, luggage loaded, everything ready to go except...no one to fly the plane.  They deplane everyone and we're delayed an hour waiting for pilots to arrive, of course this will cause many people to miss connections at ORD and a general CF at the gate.  My only saving grace...my connection was on the plane I was taking from the departure airport, so I wasn't going to miss it.

Flight back - On 11:00 flight the next morning, get notice at 10:00PM that flight is delayed, will cause missed connection (how they can delay a flight almost 12 hours in advance rather than figure out a solution is beyond me, but w/e).  Able to rebook after multiple attempts/calls/texts with United as they had no F seats and I sure as hell wasn't paying for an E+ seat after having to take a downgrade.  Of course now by the time I pack, etc. it is well after midnight and I have to be up at 4 to get to the airport on time for a 7am flight.

 

I requested a refund for the return flight for the downgrade, will update on outcome.  After a successful outcome last go around with the lounge issue, I am actually somewhat optimistic they'll do something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

Of course now by the time I pack, etc. it is well after midnight and I have to be up at 4 to get to the airport on time for a 7am flight.

 

I requested a refund for the return flight for the downgrade, will update on outcome.  After a successful outcome last go around with the lounge issue, I am actually somewhat optimistic they'll do something.

Went through something similar with United some years back...was flying to Omaha for a WSOP Circuit event, connecting through ORD.  We land in ORD and they announce a delay because the connecting had A/C issues (this was night-time and ORD to Omaha IS NOT THAT FAR).  By the time they decide they don't have metal on the ground that the flight crew was certificated for (it is a damned UA hub...how do they NOT have SOMETHING laying around that would have worked), they decide to put us up at the airport hotel.  Same thing you describe- midnight'ish in the room and have to be up at 4'ish since I have to clear security again.

 

Suffice it to say, having expected to be able to wander downstairs somewhere around 10A after a good night of sleep for my event, my performance suffered greatly.

 

UA came up with compensation...which was ironic given that the flight was paid for with compensation for yet another screw-up.  

 

Have I mentioned that I STILL hate the CO-UA merger... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      182,730
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    Princessxiv
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines