Medical Lab Collections Spouse

I’m newly separated and I’m trying to re-establish my credit and financial independence.  There are 4 collections on my credit report that my husband was responsible for when we were together in 2020.  We both had extensive blood work done by a lab of which he was paying. We separated and he has not been paying so it went to collections and showed up on my report. 

I just disputed them online a few days ago and am waiting to see if they are removed. It has my name and not his. Is it even conceivable they will be deleted?  My score is in the 500 range right now. I don’t have much credit but want to repair and build.

Are you working from paper copies of your reports that were mailed to you from each bureau directly?

You may get lucky and get one or more deletions, but it sounds like you may be trying to dispute legitimate debts.  Does your state make you jointly responsible for debts that are incurred while you are married?

Have you tried working out a settlement with the lab?  Sounds like you willingly accepted their services; perhaps they'll offer a discount and a deletion for settling the matter.

13 hours ago, NewlySeperate said:

I’m newly separated and I’m trying to re-establish my credit and financial independence.  There are 4 collections on my credit report that my husband was responsible for when we were together in 2020.  We both had extensive blood work done by a lab of which he was paying. We separated and he has not been paying so it went to collections and showed up on my report. 

I just disputed them online a few days ago and am waiting to see if they are removed. It has my name and not his. Is it even conceivable they will be deleted?  My score is in the 500 range right now. I don’t have much credit but want to repair and build.

When it comes to medical debt the bill is in the name of the patient except when the patient is a minor.  Health care would be a marital responsibility legally meaning both spouses are responsible for the debt.  The difficult part is regardless of what HE agreed to the lab or medical provider is not a party to that agreement even if the court ordered him to pay as part of the divorce decree.  This is why couples who are divorcing need to make every move to protect their credit as best they can on the chance the spouse does not do as they are supposed to.

Did he sign the financial guarantee at the lab?  That might give you some leverage?  Was he ordered to pay in the divorce?  Your only route to getting this deleted vs sued since it is care received last year may be to settle with the lab and go after your ex-husband to get it reimbursed.

Even when there is a divorce decree, debts are not contractually shifted.  The entity owed money is not a party, in most cases, to the divorce proceeding.  The court order has no bearing on the bureaus because the bureaus are simply reporting defaults on contractual obligations.  Where a divorce has occurred and a judge tells one spouse to make payments and they don't, there is, however, an enforcement proceeding through a contempt hearing and sanctions. 

You say your husband was "paying"?? Did he have insurance that you were covered under?? Are you still on his insurance plan?? If so, get the EOMB ( explanation of medical benefits) from the insurance Co. and see what may or may not have been paid and how much was left as "patient responsibility". Please direct the moderators to transfer this post to the medical debt forum.

No insurance out of pocket.

We are not filing for divorce just yet. I am making sure I stay financially independent no matter what happens. He is struggling financially so he stopped paying.  I did the disputes online.  I don’t remember if we both or he signed solely.  If the only solution is to settle with the lab what is the maximum that they will do/report with a settlement?

We are not filing for divorce just yet. I am making sure I stay financially independent no matter what happens. He is struggling financially so he stopped paying.  I did the disputes online.  I don’t remember if we both or he signed solely.  If the only solution is to settle with the lab what is the maximum that they will do/report with a settlement?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By leverup
      Hi there,

This is a complicated story with a few parts, so I'll try to be as complete as possible.

I'm a college senior currently trying to clean up the mistakes I made over my very short credit history thus far. I currently have 1 medical collection at $1500, 1 tuition collection at $4700, and have painstakingly carved my CCU from 90% to 50% (and going down every month). I also have plenty of federal student loans that are deferred until 2023, and have never missed a payment on accounts in good standing. TransUnion and Equifax hover around 660 these days, with FICO 8 and Experian closer to the 630s. 

Regarding the medical collection: The bill was initially for a college physical and routine vaccinations back in summer 2019, and was supposed to be paid for by insurance. I had just turned 18 at the time, so I was oblivious to the way it worked, but my parents told me the clinic screwed the billing up and our insurance denied it. I didn't think I had to care since they told me they would take care of it, but they didn't. About a year ago, I ended up with a collection which I attempted to dispute it electronically (didn't know what I was doing), but it was validated. Roughly a month ago, it suddenly dropped off of my report, but today I got a voicemail from a new CA, so it's likely coming back within the next few months.

Regarding the tuition collection: For my first two years of college, I attended a tiny regional private school that charged way too much for tuition, but my parents insisted that between the veterans' dependents' benefits, federal loans, and scholarships, I would be able to attend without any out of pocket cost. Like before, they let me down and it ended up costing far more than they told me. I was a stupid college kid who just got his taste of living away from home, and my spending and priorities were insanely out of whack, so my account balance kept climbing. At the end of sophomore year, I transferred to a more respected school with more financial aid, but I still had the balance on my old account with no way to pay it. Around July 2021, it was passed on to collections with the remark "affected by natural disaster" (referring to COVID). 

After a reality check of sorts, I've been religiously budgeting, paying off my CCs, and exploring every clever credit building account under the sun. I haven't sunken completely yet, but I'm very fearful that 2 collections at age 20 is a recipe for disaster. I'm looking for the best way to handle these derogatory accounts, and don’t know what my options are. 

I feel tremendously ashamed of the position I'm in, as I come from a family that's terrible at managing money, and because I'm 6 months away from graduating with a degree in finance. Somehow I ended up going down the road that I knew I should always avoid. I'm very anxious about my future and where to go from here, and I just need to know how to get out. 
    • By sfenescey
      Monifi/Mid first bank closed my account,while I realize they reserve that right, they told me in 3 different written communications that I would have access to my accounts until the 17th of November when in fact they revoked that access o. The 10th of November. Customer service has been less than helpful and has given me conflicting information. What are my options for an expedited solution? There’s 10140$ in there that they transferred right before they froze it and they continued to pull money from another account after the blocked my access. Thank you 
    • By felton1
      Hello,

I'm in bit of an issue where a medical bill was fully paid, but the account is in collections. In an imperfect sequence of events, the insurance company briefly withdrew a previous payment and re-payed the provider. Meanwhile, the provider sent me the bill, went bankrupt and they are not reachable. Looks like they sold the debt to the CA and CA wants the money that was fully paid. I have the Explanation of Benefits and proof of the original payment. 

Feb 2019 to April 2019 - Service Provided by an in-network medical service provider for my child
      May 2019 - Co-pay fully paid. Insurance fully paid. Account settled. 
      Sep 2020 - Insurance withdrew the payment (mistake). Provider sends me the bill for around $1,200. I disputed it. 
      Feb 2021 - Provider sends the account to the collection agency $1,200. CA sends me the letter. 
      Mar 2021 - Provider closes the door. Unable to reach the provider. 
      Apr 2021 - I sent the DV letter (after 30 days - on 39th day as I was traveling), used WhyChat DV letter. I got a vague response that I owe the money. 
      Apr 2021 - Insurance re-payed the provider in full. They sent me the Explanation of Benefits which shows the account is fully settled.
      Apr 2021 - Certified mail to the provider returns back (with HIPAA language), as the provider closes the door. Phone calls or emails not returned. 
      Sep 2021 - CA keeps sending emails. Contacted the Insurance company. The Insurance company contacted the CA by phone and told them the account was settled. CA informs the insurance agent that it will contact the service provider and sort it out. 
      Sep 2021 - CA reports to CRA. Credit scores drop. 
      Sep 2021 - Online dispute raised with CRA with full proof of payment. However, all disputes closed that the debt is valid. 
      Oct 2021 - CA sends me the letter I still owe $1,200 + interest. 

I have the payment proof (insurance payment + co-pay that was paid in 2019). Can I please get your advise? Would this constitute as an insurance fraud? Should I send the proof of payment to the CA? Thank you so much. Appreciate it. 
    • By CandiedCredit
      I sent out a validation letter to a medical collection on the 1st. today the 17th i got an alert that a new account was added. The account was never removed to my knowledge but it is the same Collection but now the balance says zero.  Why would they do this? I haven't received any response from them.   Should I wait the 30 days to see if they remove, or move forward with another letter?  Thanks for any response 
    • By CandiedCredit
      I sent a validation letter to a CA, and I gave a copy of my ID and copy of my social. Rookie mistake  I know  
      My question is how bad of a mistake was this? What can I expect as an outcome? I hope I this doesnt bite me in the butt. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    AGard

Important Information

Guidelines