Hilton hotel adds surcharge for using a credit card — Will this become a trend?

Webster's definition of a tax: : a charge usually of money imposed by authority on persons or property for public purposes.

I wouldn't call it a tax, but that's just me. I don't think I have ever paid a hotel bill with cash. This is just another way hotels pad their charges, on top of all that resort fee crapola.

This is disappointing, as I mainly stay at Hilton hotels. They did not charge me a credit card tax a couple weeks ago in Albuquerque.

What if I want to avoid the tax, do I have to give up cash for the deposit?

Why are they charging this tax with the Hilton Amex?

If I ever get charged for using a credit card, I will be having some words with corporate.

4 hours ago, jonson said:

This is disappointing, as I mainly stay at Hilton hotels. They did not charge me a credit card tax a couple weeks ago in Albuquerque.

What if I want to avoid the tax, do I have to give up cash for the deposit?

Why are they charging this tax with the Hilton Amex?

If I ever get charged for using a credit card, I will be having some words with corporate.

The quote from the Hilton rep and the surrounding context in the article suggests that Hilton isn't happy either, and they're addressing it with independent property owner who isn't conforming to Hilton brand requirements.

I suspect we can look for this franchisee to next remove paper products from the bathroom and offer them instead for "guest convenience" at their sundry store. 

(I really hope that Hilton, at the next franchise renewal, would suggest the franchisee might be more comfortable signing up with Red Roof Inn ...)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to see vendors that I do business with charge a fee to pay by credit card.  I am also seeing advertisements for credit card processors that pass the fees to the purchaser rather than the merchant so I do think we are in the very early stages of what may become a trend.  One way or the other, the merchant must build the fees into their pricing so either you pay iit as a surcharge or as a slightly higher cost for the merchandise or service you are buying.

On 7/13/2021 at 1:15 AM, cv91915 said:

The quote from the Hilton rep and the surrounding context in the article suggests that Hilton isn't happy either, and they're addressing it with independent property owner who isn't conforming to Hilton brand requirements.

I just stayed at a Hilton Curio Collection hotel recently and went back and looked at the folio:  no charge for the credit card use.

It doesn't seem right that to book the room you have to give a credit card to hold it but then they want to charge you the fee for doing as they demanded.  

15 hours ago, CreditSucksNot said:

I just stayed at a Hilton Curio Collection hotel recently and went back and looked at the folio:  no charge for the credit card use.

It doesn't seem right that to book the room you have to give a credit card to hold it but then they want to charge you the fee for doing as they demanded.  

Please grasp that the original anecdote in this thread is the "exception", not the rule.  As far as holding a room with a credit card, you're never under any obligation to pay with that credit card vs another card or cash.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:24 PM, CreditSucksNot said:

Well to be technical they don't incur the cc fees until the transaction goes through.

But yeah this is a dumb move by the hotel.  : /