Check re Barclays Exposure Limits

I have 3 Barclays cards, w/ $65k total CL.  Most actively used is Aviator Silver, w/ $35k CL.  Early last year I asked to be bumped to $40k and they denied, citing past util (I tend to PIF, with monthly charges of around $2k-$5k, so max bal outstanding at any one time of about $8k.).

Let things stand, but I'm holding onto my Arrival still and want to tap some 0% bt/purch funds.  It's currently at $5k; just asked for $12k and got the 48 hr decision notice.  "Admitting to" mid 200's on HHI (there's more, but with Bev having substantial lines too, I prefer to sandbag a little ... don't ask why), am I running up against either a standard exposure cap or do they cap at 25%-30% of HHI?

Appreciate any insight!

Just circling back, a Barclays analyst called this am (one who it appeared barely had her training wheels off).  She explained the problem indeed was total exposure.  I volunteered up a "true" total HHI income, but in the context of this call it appears that she wasn't able to do anything with that.  (I may need to reconsider the "sandbag", which is to include only the portion of Bev's income that supports our mortgage obligations where it comes to cards solely in my name.)

Bottom line, the analyst suggested reallocation from another card.  I acceded by moving $10k from my little used Ring (out of $25), so both cards are now at $15.

Apologies if this seems like drama over a molehill obstacle.   The real inquiry here was intended to gain greater insight on Barclays exposure limit experience of others.  My experience suggests a 25%-30% cap, which is perhaps the lowest I've encountered among various issuers.

I think this is the biggest dud of a thread I've been responsible for in ages ...

Nonetheless, just to follow up:  Received a credit alert that my initial CLI request on Friday resulted in a TU hard.  I've lost track a bit of "who does/doesn't" pull for a CLI ... so I won't claim to be surprised.  Given the outcome, guess I wish I had simply called and asked to reallocate (but I was in an optimistic mood Friday!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2021 at 10:04 AM, hdporter said:

I think this is the biggest dud of a thread I've been responsible for in ages ...

Nonetheless, just to follow up:  Received a credit alert that my initial CLI request on Friday resulted in a TU hard.  I've lost track a bit of "who does/doesn't" pull for a CLI ... so I won't claim to be surprised.  Given the outcome, guess I wish I had simply called and asked to reallocate (but I was in an optimistic mood Friday!)

Yeah, unfortunately, they seem to have continued the Juny practice of a hard pull for ANY CLI request.  Even the biz card was a hard pull...

I have 3 Barclays cards, w/ $65k total CL.  Most actively used is Aviator Silver, w/ $35k CL.  Early last year I asked to be bumped to $40k and they denied, citing past util (I tend to PIF, with monthly charges of around $2k-$5k, so max bal outstanding at any one time of about $8k.).

Let things stand, but I'm holding onto my Arrival still and want to tap some 0% bt/purch funds.  It's currently at $5k; just asked for $12k and got the 48 hr decision notice.  "Admitting to" mid 200's on HHI (there's more, but with Bev having substantial lines too, I prefer to sandbag a little ... don't ask why), am I running up against either a standard exposure cap or do they cap at 25%-30% of HHI?

Appreciate any insight!

Barclays, IME, is tighter than a gnat's arse in a windstorm. At least whenever I've asked them for a CLI the issue isn't reported income -- although I never include my wife's income. They always tell me that I am not using the card enough.

Given that they have nerf'd the Uber Visa card substantially, it's highly unlikely I will be using that card much at all. The Ring MasterCard I find useful when traveling so I might throw all my limits over to that card. The only thing that worries me is that they long ago discontinued Ring so I wonder how much longer until they close all of those out.

I'd actually consider PCing to something else they have, but everything else in their portfolio is blah.

I cringe at the thought that my AARP will be theirs next month. Fortunately I followed the advice of [mention]hegemony [/mention]and moved almost all of the AARP limit over to another Chase card earlier.

I could be wrong, but I believe the issue with Barclays is somewhat the same as Wells Fargo is experiencing now. They have very limited resources and are looking to get the most bang for their buck when hanging out CLI.
10 hours ago, PotO said:

Barclays, IME, is tighter than a gnat's arse in a windstorm. At least whenever I've asked them for a CLI the issue isn't reported income -- although I never include my wife's income. They always tell me that I am not using the card enough.

Given that they have nerf'd the Uber Visa card substantially, it's highly unlikely I will be using that card much at all. The Ring MasterCard I find useful when traveling so I might throw all my limits over to that card. The only thing that worries me is that they long ago discontinued Ring so I wonder how much longer until they close all of those out.

I'd actually consider PCing to something else they have, but everything else in their portfolio is blah.

I cringe at the thought that my AARP will be theirs next month. Fortunately I followed the advice of [mention]hegemony [/mention]and moved almost all of the AARP limit over to another Chase card earlier.

I could be wrong, but I believe the issue with Barclays is somewhat the same as Wells Fargo is experiencing now. They have very limited resources and are looking to get the most bang for their buck when hanging out CLI.

I appreciate the input ... as usual, it's insightful.

I've placed 3 separate charges on my Arrival in the last 3 weeks totaling $5600 (against a $15k CL).  I'll be repaying these at about $1000/mo on a 0% purchase rate.  Perhaps this will show sufficient util that they'll grant a new CLI request around Sep 15.

------------

One of the charges was a $2900 repair to my 2006 Linc Zephyr.  Car had started dripping a tablespoon of oil onto the garage floor daily with three separate spots.  Diagnosed as oil pan leak and leak in the front engine cover.  90% of repair charge was for labor.  For a problem that hadn't manifested itself too long ago, the repair seems excessive, but I don't consider myself qualified to second guess.  This was done at the dealer; no doubt a quality garage might have done it at a fraction of the cost.

Going ahead with the repair on a car with a retail value of less than $2k was a vote of confidence/act of faith.  The car has been relatively inexpensive to operate since paid off 9 years ago and runs beautifully (as I've raved here).  With a quality paint job a couple of years ago, look great as well.  Auto is run lightly, having 140k mi on it.  Intent is to hold on to it, despite having purchased a replacement.  Upon move to South Shore Boston, Bev will use it for her 5 mi daily commute/park to the Hingham Ferry into the city.  (Her r. wheel ride isn't desirable for the winter trek; I prefer not have my car used instead, or either car baking in the summer sun.  Hope to see the car through 2026 without more than one such repair until then.)

------------

Am I missing the boat on Ring?  Not sure what you value there aside from "chip and pin" and no FT fees.  I thought these were fairly commonplace ("chip and pin" may not be std, but avail on many cards on request).

Re:  AARP ... I did just the opposite with the CL and increased it from another Chase card.  Reasoning is if Barclays is tight relative to Chase, this buys me some slack at Barclays and I should readily be able to restore the Chase limit.

I may already impressed with Barclays AARP transition; they appear to be psychic (in my case) ...

I've had the AARP card with 3% bonus cb on most travel related charges (including dining, IIRC).  Barclays has introduced two AARP cards:  "Travel" and "Essentials".  Travel has 3% on air/hotel/car, plus 2% dining.  Seems like the natural transition for my Chase AARP.  Instead, notified that their converting my card to "Essentials" (3% on gas/drugstore, plus 2% medical). 

Since Chase SR has long become the travel "go to", gaining a 3% gas/drugstore isn't a bad deal after all.  Don't think I've have 3% on either of these aside from rotating categories.  I'm good with the transition.

------------

It seems that Barclays has pretty much thrown in the towel when it comes to non-sponsored card brands.  Arrival and Ring have both bit the dust.  Don't recall what other entries they may have tried on the non-sponsored side.  Looking at card offerings now, it seems that they've retreated to a pre-acquisition Juniper-type portfolio.  Strictly sponsored cards.  Seems both weird and lazy.

Of course, so long as airlines and hotels (and the like) are willing to sell affinity points at fire sale prices to credit card issuers, these might be among the most profitable rewards cards to issue.

I appreciate the input ... as usual, it's insightful.

I've placed 3 separate charges on my Arrival in the last 3 weeks totaling $5600 (against a $15k CL).  I'll be repaying these at about $1000/mo on a 0% purchase rate.  Perhaps this will show sufficient util that they'll grant a new CLI request around Sep 15.

------------

One of the charges was a $2900 repair to my 2006 Linc Zephyr.  Car had started dripping a tablespoon of oil onto the garage floor daily with three separate spots.  Diagnosed as oil pan leak and leak in the front engine cover.  90% of repair charge was for labor.  For a problem that hadn't manifested itself too long ago, the repair seems excessive, but I don't consider myself qualified to second guess.  This was done at the dealer; no doubt a quality garage might have done it at a fraction of the cost.

Going ahead with the repair on a car with a retail value of less than $2k was a vote of confidence/act of faith.  The car has been relatively inexpensive to operate since paid off 9 years ago and runs beautifully (as I've raved here).  With a quality paint job a couple of years ago, look great as well.  Auto is run lightly, having 140k mi on it.  Intent is to hold on to it, despite having purchased a replacement.  Upon move to South Shore Boston, Bev will use it for her 5 mi daily commute/park to the Hingham Ferry into the city.  (Her r. wheel ride isn't desirable for the winter trek; I prefer not have my car used instead, or either car baking in the summer sun.  Hope to see the car through 2026 without more than one such repair until then.)

------------

Am I missing the boat on Ring?  Not sure what you value there aside from "chip and pin" and no FT fees.  I thought these were fairly commonplace ("chip and pin" may not be std, but avail on many cards on request).

Re:  AARP ... I did just the opposite with the CL and increased it from another Chase card.  Reasoning is if Barclays is tight relative to Chase, this buys me some slack at Barclays and I should readily be able to restore the Chase limit.

I may already impressed with Barclays AARP transition; they appear to be psychic (in my case) ...

I've had the AARP card with 3% bonus cb on most travel related charges (including dining, IIRC).  Barclays has introduced two AARP cards:  "Travel" and "Essentials".  Travel has 3% on air/hotel/car, plus 2% dining.  Seems like the natural transition for my Chase AARP.  Instead, notified that their converting my card to "Essentials" (3% on gas/drugstore, plus 2% medical). 

Since Chase SR has long become the travel "go to", gaining a 3% gas/drugstore isn't a bad deal after all.  Don't think I've have 3% on either of these aside from rotating categories.  I'm good with the transition.

------------

It seems that Barclays has pretty much thrown in the towel when it comes to non-sponsored card brands.  Arrival and Ring have both bit the dust.  Don't recall what other entries they may have tried on the non-sponsored side.  Looking at card offerings now, it seems that they've retreated to a pre-acquisition Juniper-type portfolio.  Strictly sponsored cards.  Seems both weird and lazy.

Of course, so long as airlines and hotels (and the like) are willing to sell affinity points at fire sale prices to credit card issuers, these might be among the most profitable rewards cards to issue.

Regarding the Barclays Ring, in addition to no FTF they also have no cash advance fees and interest doesn't accrue until the charge posts a couple of days later. I *never* have an ATM card in my wallet and when overseas and in need of cash, I use Ring at an ATM. Then I go and use BillPay to to pay the amount off and the payment usually hits before the charge even posts. Ring is my ATM card with none of the disadvantages and stench of an actual ATM card.

I am thinking that your idea of leaving the high limit on your AARP card may be something I should consider. Barclays will not give me a CLI so that might be a way to get one. The risk, though, is that Barclays will slash it.

Yet another very real risk is that I will not be able to get another CLI from Chase. Chase is stingy with CLIs and from past experience the best way to get a CLI from Chase is by opening a new account. The problem with that, though, is by the time I am able to get around 5/24 hell will have frozen over. I don't ever anticipate being able to get a new Chase card.

Barclays is converting mine to the Essentials, too. That sucks! I never pay for medical since rich brother [mention]hegemony [/mention]picks up the tab for that. I will try to PC the card to their other Travel AARP. Failing that, it will serve as a CLI on my Barclays Ring or Uber card.

I am definitely not impressed with Barclays business model. If you look at their portfolio, it's full of crap cards like cruise lines, budget hotels, foreign airlines and related nonsense. They've nerfed the hell out of the Uber card which, by the way, is no longer available.
They do have a Barnes & Noble card which I used to like a few centuries ago before Amazon drove B&N into virtual bankruptcy.

What I would be impressed with is if Barclays started to take away some of Stinkrony's sponsored cards such as, for example, Verizon or PayPal or eBay. I'd also love to see Barclays develop a McDonald's card.
6 hours ago, PotO said:

Regarding the Barclays Ring, in addition to no FTF they also have no cash advance fees and interest doesn't accrue until the charge posts a couple of days later. I *never* have an ATM card in my wallet and when overseas and in need of cash, I use Ring at an ATM. Then I go and use BillPay to to pay the amount off and the payment usually hits before the charge even posts. Ring is my ATM card with none of the disadvantages and stench of an actual ATM card.

That's a feature that I've lost track of since I first applied for it, even though I've only had it 4 years now.  That's a definite keeper.  thx!

That's a feature that I've lost track of since I first applied for it, even though I've only had it 4 years now.  That's a definite keeper.  thx!

That feature alone makes Ring a keeper for me. Prior to the COVID-19 circus, we'd travel extensively -- often to the UK. I could get cash even without ATM fees by using a Barclays UK ATM, and at a decent exchange rate also.

I've had my Ring about 9.5 years. Other than Barclays being tightwads, I've never had any issues with them. I wish they had a more robust card offering.