Jeeez.  Glad to hear your wife is doing well and you were able to get out of that place.  I have lived in an uncomfortable number of places where firing guns in the air during New Years and July 4th was a norm.  It's always been in the back of my mind that some ackjass would fire low and something like this could happen.   

Edited by Allkindabroke

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got to take her home a few hours ago. She's resting comfortably in her recliner. 

We get the keys to the new place Monday.

Damn!  Glad to hear nothing vital was hit...that makes the recovery a little bit easier, although still with the traumatic damage to the psyche.    One of our clients had a through and throu

14 hours ago, Allkindabroke said:

Jeeez.  Glad to hear your wife is doing well and you were able to get out of that place.  I have lived in an uncomfortable number of places where firing guns in the air during New Years and July 4th was a norm.  It's always been in the back of my mind that some ackjass would fire low and something like this could happen.   

We are not out yet. Can’t move into the new place until the end of August. 

Firing straight up in the air is stupid enough. Firing low or level is another level of retarded altogether. 

4 hours ago, mk_378 said:

Bullets fired into the air will come down with enough speed to kill someone.  It has happened many times.

Yes, I’m aware. 

A judge decided to release the moron, while waiting for trial. So he's back on the street, with a ankle monitor again.

Honestly, I'm not surprised.

I'm thinking of a having a durian fruit sent the judges office, thanking him, for putting civilized society on the back burner.

13 hours ago, TheVig said:

A judge decided to release the moron, while waiting for trial. So he's back on the street, with a ankle monitor again.

Honestly, I'm not surprised.

I'm thinking of a having a durian fruit sent the judges office, thanking him, for putting civilized society on the back burner.

I would say something but that's over the P line here ... I'll just throw out the question of whether the ankle monitor is cut off yet or not

4 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

I would say something but that's over the P line here ... I'll just throw out the question of whether the ankle monitor is cut off yet or not

It’s probably still attached. He was already wearing one at time he decided to discharge a firearm.  That’s how they found him. His GPS location history matched where shell casings were found. He actually admitted to possessing and firing a weapon.  He was visiting his GF at the time he decided to be stupid. GF was served an eviction notice the other day. I’m told the look on her face was priceless when she was told that the Covid-19 eviction moratorium didn’t apply to her.  Lost her crib because of someone else. 

Yeah, I would like to go on a rant, but I don’t want to burn down the TOS here at CB

Not relevant to the conversation here, but apartment management was working OT today on eviction paperwork. Getting ready to file first thing Monday morning, since the federal  moratorium ends today. I wonder how bad it’s gonna get. 

4 hours ago, TheVig said:

Not relevant to the conversation here, but apartment management was working OT today on eviction paperwork. Getting ready to file first thing Monday morning, since the federal  moratorium ends today. I wonder how bad it’s gonna get. 

Oh you know its going to get really bad, really quick. That pin is about to be pulled on not only rent forebearances but also mortgage foreclosures. With the market in some areas being so crazy, you might see a lot of home borrowers put their houses up for sale this coming month and try to salvage something to rebuild for the future. Granted a lot of borrowers are probably not that smart or aren't thinking past their next EBT payment. Courts are about to get loaded up with tenant evictions and mortgage foreclosures starting Monday.

Very slow on the uptake here, @TheVig ... so very distressed for you and DW and relieved that everything looks on the mend!  I trust the two of you will thankfully ring in the New Year with MUCH to be thankful for!  :)

(We're in the homestretch of a LONG deferred move from GA to MA; new home waiting for us since Dec '19.   I've only been sifting through the main Credit forum this past month.  Tentative house list Aug 19; move Sep 16.)

5 hours ago, TheVig said:

Well the DA’s office really does read victim impact statements. I have a sit down Friday morning. Apparently my half of the statement has made some sort of impact. So for the time being, I’m holding off on Edible Arrangements sending over some durian fruit. 

We had a total of four impact statements sent well weeks in advance before sentencing. I included before and after pictures and my DH and I both read our statements out loud during sentencing. The shooter didn't like the outcome because he flipped off the court.

This seems to be a real shiet thing to have happen to you (her mostly) but to the two of you... but based on the stories you have laid down here over the years, I guess your exposure is probably higher than the average American.

Glad to hear you are moving.

Feel bad for the people who are staying.

On 7/31/2021 at 4:11 PM, TheVig said:

It’s probably still attached. He was already wearing one at time he decided to discharge a firearm.  That’s how they found him. His GPS location history matched where shell casings were found. He actually admitted to possessing and firing a weapon.  He was visiting his GF at the time he decided to be stupid. GF was served an eviction notice the other day. I’m told the look on her face was priceless when she was told that the Covid-19 eviction moratorium didn’t apply to her.  Lost her crib because of someone else. 

Yeah, I would like to go on a rant, but I don’t want to burn down the TOS here at CB

Apparently we were lied too.

Now that I've time to marinate on this, here is where things stand.

A few weeks back Mrs. Vig spoke to an assistant in the DA's office. Assistant DA confused our case, with another case. DW was told the shooter admitted to firing a weapon, and the weapon was located. Well actually in our case, the possible shooter admitted nothing and no weapon has been located yet. Just because a dirt bags ankle monitor pinged next to some shell casings, doesn't necessarily mean he fired a weapon. <<< That I understand.

Then the DA's office, tried to tell us we didn't return our impact statements to them. I showed them a certified return receipt showing otherwise.  The signature of who signed and when was very damning to them. I'm probably gonna report this to the NC bar. While miscommunicating and confusing a case with another doesn't mean someone could lose their right to practice as an attorney, at least it will be on record.

So in short.........the case is currently cold/dead.

7 hours ago, TheVig said:

Now that I've time to marinate on this, here is where things stand.

A few weeks back Mrs. Vig spoke to an assistant in the DA's office. Assistant DA confused our case, with another case. DW was told the shooter admitted to firing a weapon, and the weapon was located. Well actually in our case, the possible shooter admitted nothing and no weapon has been located yet. Just because a dirt bags ankle monitor pinged next to some shell casings, doesn't necessarily mean he fired a weapon. <<< That I understand.

Then the DA's office, tried to tell us we didn't return our impact statements to them. I showed them a certified return receipt showing otherwise.  The signature of who signed and when was very damning to them. I'm probably gonna report this to the NC bar. While miscommunicating and confusing a case with another doesn't mean someone could lose their right to practice as an attorney, at least it will be on record.

I only interacted directly with the Deputy DA representing the case and that's where I sent the impact statements was to his email address. The following Monday I text him to tell him I sent the statements via email and he text back saying he received them. An office assistant tried telling me to only follow the structure in a handout for writing an impact statement but the attorney told me it didn't matter.

On 8/7/2021 at 1:39 AM, TheVig said:

Better a case be dead than the victim...hey, glass half-full.

As to a Bar complaint...it may make you feel better but won't even hit the radar of the Bar card for the named attorney.  The Bar is going to view this as incompetence by clerical staff who sign for the mail.  Even if the named ADA is on the card, it is not something the Bar is going to even submit for a response.  Your more efficient use of time will be helping to campaign for the elected DA to be replaced in the next election cycle since a housecleaning often follows a new DA taking office. 

4 hours ago, centex said:

Better a case be dead than the victim...hey, glass half-full.

As to a Bar complaint...it may make you feel better but won't even hit the radar of the Bar card for the named attorney.  The Bar is going to view this as incompetence by clerical staff who sign for the mail.  Even if the named ADA is on the card, it is not something the Bar is going to even submit for a response.  Your more efficient use of time will be helping to campaign for the elected DA to be replaced in the next election cycle since a housecleaning often follows a new DA taking office. 

It won’t make me feel better.  I’ve decided to focus my energy in other directions pertaining to the overall matter. 

On 7/5/2021 at 9:20 AM, TheVig said:

On the medical insurance front we are blessed. We have zero deductible medical insurance. All will be covered except a $100 emergency room copay. 

I was a little off on this. After bills totaling about $30k, we will be on the hook for about $500 +/- $100. Not bad. Once the dust settles and we have the final statements, we have two choices. Submit what we ended up paying out of pocket to Aflac, which I know will cover it. Or submit it to the North Carolina Victim's Compensation fund, and see what happens. My vote is to submit it to the victims fund. Probably our tax dollars that fund such a program anyways.

6 hours ago, TheVig said:

I was a little off on this. After bills totaling about $30k, we will be on the hook for about $500 +/- $100. Not bad. Once the dust settles and we have the final statements, we have two choices. Submit what we ended up paying out of pocket to Aflac, which I know will cover it. Or submit it to the North Carolina Victim's Compensation fund, and see what happens. My vote is to submit it to the victims fund. Probably our tax dollars that fund such a program anyways.

Believe it or not, a lot of States actually include fees on ANY court judgment, including traffic tickets, that see some nominal amount going to CVF coffers.  And in Texas, by example, there is something like $18 per month being paid by each person on parole that goes to CVF. 

There ALSO exists the option for the judge to incorporate restitution as a component of any sentence in addition to fines and other costs.  So, if your perp goes to court, the judge COULD require them to make you and your insurance carrier whole.  And if they cannot pay the full restitution nut at that time, a hold can be placed on funds sent to them in prison...specific withholding rules vary by State, but it is worth being aware of...

• 2 weeks later...

We got the keys this morning!

We will move out of the old place this Saturday. Got family coming over to help. Mainly my two teenage nephews (the muscle).  Mrs. Vig took the week off and will move small stuff this week. I took off on a business trip. Couldn't resist earning 20k Choice points on a four night stay. LOL.