Lowe’s (Synchrony) Verification Process

californiadreamin

I haven’t logged on in a bit, but I’ve been gardening and bringing up my score after my BK discharge in 2019. I applied for a Lowe’s account and got a 7-10 day message with a reference number. I noticed that my credit was not pulled. When I called them, the overseas customer service rep transferred me back to a stateside fraud analyst. They made me go through some website to record myself for five seconds and the take pictures of my drivers license. After that, the verification website instructed me to call in with a passcode. I called back in and the woman put me on hold. While on hold, I got notification that my credit was pulled and then she comes back on the line and says “Congratulations” and provided me with my credit limit. I forgot the exact amount, but it has a weird limit ending that ended in 37. It was under 5k and was something like $4,537 or $4,837. I was thrown off by the last two number as I’m used to it being 00. 

1) Has anyone gotten a seemingly random credit limit with Lowe’s (Synchrony)?

2) Has anyone gone through that verification process before?

it’s been about 18 months since I applied for a credit card and this is my first store card (other than Kohl’s since I shop there for work clothes). Feeling out of the loop all of a sudden. Lol

Sorry, I don't have a Lowe's card.

Have you already received the physical card?  

If it requires activation upon receipt, I'm wondering if the actual limit (round number) will be revealed at that time.

Edited by cv91915

Posted the following a few minutes ago, questioning the verification procedure the OP encountered.  Seems Synchrony is truly a strange duck.  I found a handful of anecdotes on reddit describing similar Synchrony encounters.  Sounds like this is very legit; sorry to raise a red flag ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=synchrony+credit+verification+site:www.reddit.com

--------------

I refrained from posting my first reaction because what you wrote is a massive fail on my smell test.  I wanted to let this sit for a day to see if my perspective changed in that time.

I've never heard of someone having to jump through the hoops that you encountered, whether we're talking Synchrony or another issuer.  It could all be legitimate, but the notion occurred to me that if you should have managed to touch base with an entity that wasn't Synchrony, this might be a novel means by which to commit identity theft.  Initiating a credit inquiry with Synchrony at the close of the scam would be the icing on the cake.

This is pure, idle speculation on my part.  But it begs the question of by what means did you secure your contact number for Synchrony?  Whatever the answer to that, and no matter how secure you are that you were in contact with a legitimate Synchrony rep, I would recommend calling back via an independent channel (via a phone number secured by a different method) and confirming that the credit approval process you encountered is one that they're familiar with.  Short of firm confirmation, I'd recommend freezing your report with the 3 CRA's.

Truly hoping that my suspicions in this case are entirely bogus.  It's just that your anecdote is the freaking wildest validation procedure I've ever heard tale of.

Edited by hdporter

8 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Sorry, I don't have a Lowe's card.

Have you already received the physical card?  

If it requires activation upon receipt, I'm wondering if the actual limit (round number) will be revealed at that time.

8 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I will definitely post back with the credit limit that shows up with the card.

4 hours ago, hdporter said:

Posted the following a few minutes ago, questioning the verification procedure the OP encountered.  Seems Synchrony is truly a strange duck.  I found a handful of anecdotes on reddit describing similar Synchrony encounters.  Sounds like this is very legit; sorry to raise a red flag ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=synchrony+credit+verification+site:www.reddit.com

--------------

I refrained from posting my first reaction because what you wrote is a massive fail on my smell test.  I wanted to let this sit for a day to see if my perspective changed in that time.

I've never heard of someone having to jump through the hoops that you encountered, whether we're talking Synchrony or another issuer.  It could all be legitimate, but the notion occurred to me that if you should have managed to touch base with an entity that wasn't Synchrony, this might be a novel means by which to commit identity theft.  Initiating a credit inquiry with Synchrony at the close of the scam would be the icing on the cake.

This is pure, idle speculation on my part.  But it begs the question of by what means did you secure your contact number for Synchrony?  Whatever the answer to that, and no matter how secure you are that you were in contact with a legitimate Synchrony rep, I would recommend calling back via an independent channel (via a phone number secured by a different method) and confirming that the credit approval process you encountered is one that they're familiar with.  Short of firm confirmation, I'd recommend freezing your report with the 3 CRA's.

Truly hoping that my suspicions in this case are entirely bogus.  It's just that your anecdote is the freaking wildest validation procedure I've ever heard tale of.

Immediately after applying I contacted their credit card customer service number from their website. I was definitely bizarre and just looked and saw the Reddit posts that discussed this. I normally keep my reports frozen except for this weekend as I was planning to apply for Lowe’s for an upcoming purchase to take advantage of the promotional financing. I did burn them for about $400 in my BK, so maybe that’s the reason for having to go through the extra verification?!? Anyhow, I’ll see what shows up in the mail from them (in terms of actual credit line).