Equifax Help Needed Please ...

mmm

Hi All,

I am trying to have an AU account removed from my Equifax report. On Equifax it clearly says that I'm an AU. I have gone the normal dispute route but so far Equifax as only put a comment on my CR saying that this dispute is under reinvestigation. (it has already been removed from Experian and TU).

With the exception of high utilization, there is nothing negative about this account. The credit union that the primary account holder is a member of has already said they have removed me from the account AND sent the necessary information to Equifax. 

I've called Equifax various times and have asked for a supervisor, but one never seems to be available. Today I was on hold for an hour. I've also called and asked to be transferred to the US office (thinking that maybe there is a communication problem and perhaps I'm just not making myself clear) and they said that they can not do transfers (to the US or otherwise) and I would have to call back to see if a US agent answered the phone.

Does anyone have a phone number that will either get me to a good supervisor, a US agent or anyone that can help me get this removed?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Hit Man,

I've tried over the phone as well as online.  In the online dispute they only put a notation on the account saying that the account is in reinvestigation. 

Removing an AU use to be so simple. 😞 

On 6/26/2021 at 8:41 AM, mmm said:

Hi Hit Man,

I've tried over the phone as well as online.  In the online dispute they only put a notation on the account saying that the account is in reinvestigation. 

Removing an AU use to be so simple. 😞 

I talked to Equifax a few months ago about something, and asked if they'd transfer me to the US Call Center. They said they couldn't. But I feel like that's just their first-line answer, which might change if you really request it. Obviously they can transfer calls - that's a basic function of any call center.

Otherwise, file a complaint with the CFPB

6 hours ago, zenithar said:

I talked to Equifax a few months ago about something, and asked if they'd transfer me to the US Call Center. They said they couldn't. But I feel like that's just their first-line answer, which might change if you really request it. Obviously they can transfer calls - that's a basic function of any call center.

Otherwise, file a complaint with the CFPB

Hi Zenithar!

Thank you ever so much for the information.  No matter how nice I am when I speak with them or how hard I push, (today they were extremely ridiculous) I can not seem to make any progress. 

I've kept names times and dates of each time I've called and also screen shot showing the original dispute and dispute confirmation number. 

Again, thank you for the info, hopefully the information I've collected will help the CFPB get this removed.

EQ is typically awful about removing AU accounts. But EQ is also useless for calling. The CSRs can't do anything. Have you tried filing a dispute on their website? Not recommended for most disputes, but that's worked for me in the past. Another option is by mail. CFPB is not necessarily going to help you anymore.

My recommendation is to get a statement from the CU that you've been removed as an AU from the account in question and forwarding that as part of a new dispute with EQ.  Odds are favorable that this will get you the desired traction with EQ.  If not, you have hard evidence that EQ failed to act on your documented dispute, which you cans pursue further, if desired.

Hi All and thank you for the responses. 

Yesterday I had the owner of the account get a letter from the CU stating that I was no longer associated with the account. I went ahead and filed a complaint with the CFPB and attached a copy of the letter and long with my online dispute conformation number in hopes that they can light a fire under EQ.      

Yesterday I also tried calling EQ once more and I think they just say anything they want.  I'm extremely frustrated with them! Yesterday they had the nerve to tell me they could not remove it because the account was NOT negative. First when ANY account has 100% utilization,(which obviously hurts my FICO) it IS negative, but regardless, I'm not the owner of the account, so they should remove it from my credit report. They're NUTS!!!

9 hours ago, mmm said:

Hi All and thank you for the responses. 

Yesterday I had the owner of the account get a letter from the CU stating that I was no longer associated with the account. I went ahead and filed a complaint with the CFPB and attached a copy of the letter and long with my online dispute conformation number in hopes that they can light a fire under EQ.      

Yesterday I also tried calling EQ once more and I think they just say anything they want.  I'm extremely frustrated with them! Yesterday they had the nerve to tell me they could not remove it because the account was NOT negative. First when ANY account has 100% utilization,(which obviously hurts my FICO) it IS negative, but regardless, I'm not the owner of the account, so they should remove it from my credit report. They're NUTS!!!

Please keep us updated as this progresses!

On 6/25/2021 at 1:54 PM, mmm said:

The credit union that the primary account holder is a member of has already said they have removed me from the account AND sent the necessary information to Equifax. 

How do you know this is true?  

(I believe it's what they told you.)

14 hours ago, cv91915 said:

How do you know this is true?  

(I believe it's what they told you.)

I can't confirm that they actually did what they said in regards to updating EQ mid-cycle (I have to take their word for that part) however, I did receive a copy of the letter from the CU stating that I was only an AU, the exact date that I was removed from the account and that I am not financially responsible for the account. The CU representative's contact information is on the letter, so if EQ gave any effort, it would not have been difficult for them to verify the information and remove it from my credit report.

I understand that some people do strange things for strange reasons, but I do not believe that the CU did not do exactly what they said. 

16 hours ago, mmm said:

I can't confirm that they actually did what they said in regards to updating EQ mid-cycle (I have to take their word for that part) however, I did receive a copy of the letter from the CU stating that I was only an AU, the exact date that I was removed from the account and that I am not financially responsible for the account. The CU representative's contact information is on the letter, so if EQ gave any effort, it would not have been difficult for them to verify the information and remove it from my credit report.

I understand that some people do strange things for strange reasons, but I do not believe that the CU did not do exactly what they said. 

If you can't confirm that they did what they said, why are you pinning all the blame on Equifax?  You can't verify anything Equifax has done either.

Perhaps the update from the credit union was improperly formatted, or rejected for some other reason.

I'm not arguing that Equifax doesn't suck, but let's be honest.  You're dealing with a credit union here.  

On 6/29/2021 at 7:20 AM, mmm said:

Kudos on the first part.  But if you didn't enter a new or updated dispute with EQ, forwarding the letter, you made a strategic error.

As far as CFPB, this can't hurt, as long as you're not looking for anything overnight.  However, I maintain that direction interaction with EQ is the most likely avenue to secure your desired result.

Update:  Thank you all for the information and input. Filing the compliant with the CFPB worked out very well! As of Tuesday, July 6, the AU was removed!!!

Take care and stay safe!