Does American Express blacklist/ red-flag if you have filed bankruptcy against them?

Hello,

Does anyone know either by experience or with a good degree of certainty if American Express (AMEX) will decline card membership if you have ever filed bankruptcy against them? I have read somewhere that they keep a permanent “barred from membership list”.

Is this right, no. However, as you probably know a financial institution may choose to do business with whomever they choose (a rather broad definition). I have read that even if an American Express account has been fully-discharged by a successfully complete bankruptcy case, they will no longer choose to do business with you.

The reason I am asking is twenty years ago, I listed them as a creditor in my Chapter 7 bankruptcy case. I would like to apply for membership in the future when my current FICO is a bit stronger. However, I do not want to burn a hard-inquiry only for it to be declined.

I apologize if I am not posting in the correct area. Thank you.

4 hours ago, MBgratitude said:

The reason I am asking is twenty years ago, I listed them as a creditor in my Chapter 7 bankruptcy case. I would like to apply for membership in the future when my current FICO is a bit stronger. However, I do not want to burn a hard-inquiry only for it to be declined.

Amex will not pull a credit report (Experian) if being blackball internally on file.

On 6/25/2021 at 3:16 PM, MP80 said:

Amex will not pull a credit report (Experian) if being blackball internally on file.

This is not 100% entirely true...see below:

OP - Yes AmEx has a well established blacklist process whereas if you defaulted on a previous card not only will they not allow you to have another account, they will not allow you to even be an authorized user on another account (and in some cases not allow you a Corporate card, depends on the account structure).  HOWEVER, they are not 100% consistent in the application of this as there are a number of cases of those who have regained card membership after default.  The general trend seems to be if the loss to AmEx was <$10K and it has been 10 years, there is a good chance you can get approved, provided your current credit profile allows for approval.

As to MP80s statement, again, in 99% of cases, if you are on the BL AmEx will instantly deny you without pulling a credit report, HOWEVER, there have been cases (fairly rare) of AmEx pulling a bureau and then denying for previous unsatisfactory account performance (blacklist).  I am one of the lucky ones who has had this happen.  That said, I have probably applied for an AmEx card 20 or more times since my BK almost 20 years ago and had it only happen once, so odds are you won't get a pull if BL.

Hope this helps...

On 6/25/2021 at 12:52 PM, MBgratitude said:

However, I do not want to burn a hard-inquiry only for it to be declined.

If an Amex would add value to your wallet, apply.  No one cares about inquiries.

I took a dump on Amex back in the late 90’s. I did not BK them, and nor did they try to sue me. Yeah I know lucky me. Somewhere around $12k to $18k if I recall correctly.  

I threw caution to the wind, and cold app them in 2016. Instant approval on a BCE for $1k. Card showed up with membership since 96 on it. 

There will always be exceptions to how Amex plays ball. 

12 hours ago, TheVig said:

I took a dump on Amex back in the late 90’s. I did not BK them, and nor did they try to sue me. Yeah I know lucky me. Somewhere around $12k to $18k if I recall correctly.  

I threw caution to the wind, and cold app them in 2016. Instant approval on a BCE for $1k. Card showed up with membership since 96 on it. 

Exactly, nothing is absolute, except that nothing is absolute.  Once we go through our mortgage re-fi I will try again.  I limit myself to like twice a year now.

On 6/29/2021 at 5:20 AM, TheVig said:

this was also my experience except my balances were under $5k IIRC

10 hours ago, TeeSharice said:

You grace us with your presence far too seldomly, "TS".    < a quiet fan from "way back" in this group >

On 7/1/2021 at 6:58 AM, TeeSharice said:

Hi TeeSharice,

Interesting. So you defaulted and they did not come after you? Wow! Back when I defaulted, prior to my listing them as a creditor in my BK13 filing, they assigned the account to a collection agency: GC Services (circa 1999 - 2000). NOTE: I later had my attorney convert my 13 case to a Chapter 7 case.

May I ask, what is the "BCE" AMEX card product.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By MarvBear
      REMINDER!
      Account Status 05 (Account transferred)
      to become obsolete for reporting
      Effective April 2022

As noted within Exhibit 4 (Account Status Codes) in the Credit Reporting Resource Guide (CRRG®) since 2020, Account Status 05 (Account Transferred) will become obsolete for reporting in April 2022.

Refer to the Transferred category within Exhibit 6 for a list of Special Comment Codes that should be used instead of Account Status 05. Refer to Frequently Asked Question & Answer 46 for guidance on reporting transferred accounts, and to Frequently Asked Question & Answer 47 for guidance on reporting sold accounts.

All guidance that relates to accounts being transferred or sold has previously been updated to advise that the Account Status should be reported as of the time of transfer or sale so no further updates will be made to existing CRRG® FAQs (46 & 47) as a result Account Status 05 being retired.

The Metro 2® Task Force recommends that data furnishers transition away from reporting Account Status 05 as soon as possible.

If there are any questions, please e-mail metro2info@cdiaonline.org.

Thank you,
      CDIA and Metro 2® Task Force

Metro 2® Webinar:
      Retirement of Account Status 05 (Transferred)
      Dec. 8, 2021 @ 2pm ET

Join us Dec 8, 2021 for the Metro 2® Webinar: Retirement of Account Status 05 (Transferred). Developed in collaboration with the Metro 2® Format Task Force, which includes experienced representatives from Equifax, Experian, Innovis, and TransUnion, this webinar will discuss how accounts that are transferred internally or to a servicer should be reported, as reflected in the 2021 Credit Reporting Resource Guide®.

The reporting of accurate data is an essential obligation of data furnishers under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Account Status 05 will be retired for Credit Reporting in April 2022.

Presented by Pat Dubie, Training Consultant at Consumer Data Industry Association, this webinar will focus on the following discussion topics as they pertain to transferred accounts:

·     Use of the L1 Segment to identify the Identification Number and/or Account Number Change
      ·     Use of Special Comment Codes to identify the “transferred’ condition
      ·     FAQ #46

Duration: 45 minutes
      Cost: $245 per registration (incl. up to 5 individual participants login)

Your registration includes:
      ·   Access to the scheduled webinar and all handout materials
      ·   An audio re-play file of the event accessible online for up to one year, which can be shared internally with your team
      ·   Free download of the latest version of the Credit Reporting Resource Guide® (CRRG®)
      ·   The webinar is a single sign-on experience. 

Register Today!

If you can't join us for one of the scheduled webinars, you may register for the on-demand replay of this event. The on-demand replay as well as the handout material will be emailed to you approximately 48 hours after the purchase.

To view CDIA's Metro 2® attendance policy, please click here. 

Legal Disclaimer: CDIA's teleseminars are educational in nature and do not represent legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult an attorney in your jurisdiction.
    • By Simon3
      can any one tell me which bureaus does the Wells Fargo Business Platinum card report to
    • By silentjc
      Finally posting on this forum after gawking for a while. 🙂

I've been working on my credit repair the last couple of years and am kind of at that point where I'm not sure if there is anything else I can do but wait it out.

Had a medical issue back in 2016 / 17 which contributed to somewhere around 12 account charge-offs and a car repossession. Over the past year and a half, I've been aggressively paying the accounts off (all are at zero balance, settled), disputed as many as I could (several fell off, am doing another round this month), opened five rebuilder / secured / sub prime cards starting two years ago (Citi Secured, Self Secured, Cap 1 Secured, Cap 1 Unsecured, Credit One Unsecured), did the Self Lending self loan (like 6 months left on that one), Experian Boost, have had a high interest car loan the last two years, am about to replace it with a newer car loan at a lower rate, and obviously keep cards paid off every month and paid on time (*accidentally had a 30 day late when I was changing banks and forgot to update the account that was on autopay). 

Looks like stuff starts aging off in 2023 and 2025. Scores went from the low 500s to 696 Trans, 712 Equifax, 625 Experian.

The problem I'm having is that even with everything settled, zero balances, and "good" scores," I'm still in purgatory when it comes to getting an actual decent points card. Capital One gave me an unsecured one a few months ago, but it's a $300 limit on a non rewards card. And since I already have two cards with them (one which is my oldest card now), even though their my "best bet" in the nearterm for a better card, i'm at their card limit. 

Goal Cards in the future are Chase Sapphire, AMEX Blue, AMEX Gold, and Citi Premier. 

Current plan is to just keep sending dispute rounds every few months, keep balances at zero, not apply for anything new at least until early 2022. 

Is there anything I'm missing? Anything I can do sooner to help compensate for the scars from the past on my credit report?
    • By MarvBear
      CARES+Act+Post-Accommodation+Reporting+Guidance.pdf

I have no idea if this will be of assistance to anyone.  It's full of links that are accessible.

Happy reading.
    • By BigSpenderBigSaver
      Hello all. The title says just about everything. Is it known whether or not AMEX holds closed accounts against you when opening new ones?

I had three (3) AMEX accounts, none of them were Gold. I entered all three in a DMP (I wanted to keep one open, but the DMP told me not to or else lenders may not accept the plan). I just paid off all three well ahead of the end of the DMP end date. To my knowledge, I have not be subject to an F/R.

FICO scores as follows:
      EX 713
      TU 717
      EQ 701

I was approved for the CSP yesterday (7/23/21) so I will have a new account lowering my AAoA. I not looking to apply for the AMEX Gold for a few months (depending on your feedback).

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    dallas21

Important Information

Guidelines