Does American Express blacklist/ red-flag if you have filed bankruptcy against them?

MBgratitude

Hello,

Does anyone know either by experience or with a good degree of certainty if American Express (AMEX) will decline card membership if you have ever filed bankruptcy against them? I have read somewhere that they keep a permanent “barred from membership list”.

Is this right, no. However, as you probably know a financial institution may choose to do business with whomever they choose (a rather broad definition). I have read that even if an American Express account has been fully-discharged by a successfully complete bankruptcy case, they will no longer choose to do business with you.

The reason I am asking is twenty years ago, I listed them as a creditor in my Chapter 7 bankruptcy case. I would like to apply for membership in the future when my current FICO is a bit stronger. However, I do not want to burn a hard-inquiry only for it to be declined.

I apologize if I am not posting in the correct area. Thank you.

4 hours ago, MBgratitude said:

The reason I am asking is twenty years ago, I listed them as a creditor in my Chapter 7 bankruptcy case. I would like to apply for membership in the future when my current FICO is a bit stronger. However, I do not want to burn a hard-inquiry only for it to be declined.

Amex will not pull a credit report (Experian) if being blackball internally on file.

On 6/25/2021 at 3:16 PM, MP80 said:

Amex will not pull a credit report (Experian) if being blackball internally on file.

This is not 100% entirely true...see below:

OP - Yes AmEx has a well established blacklist process whereas if you defaulted on a previous card not only will they not allow you to have another account, they will not allow you to even be an authorized user on another account (and in some cases not allow you a Corporate card, depends on the account structure).  HOWEVER, they are not 100% consistent in the application of this as there are a number of cases of those who have regained card membership after default.  The general trend seems to be if the loss to AmEx was <$10K and it has been 10 years, there is a good chance you can get approved, provided your current credit profile allows for approval.

As to MP80s statement, again, in 99% of cases, if you are on the BL AmEx will instantly deny you without pulling a credit report, HOWEVER, there have been cases (fairly rare) of AmEx pulling a bureau and then denying for previous unsatisfactory account performance (blacklist).  I am one of the lucky ones who has had this happen.  That said, I have probably applied for an AmEx card 20 or more times since my BK almost 20 years ago and had it only happen once, so odds are you won't get a pull if BL.

Hope this helps...

I took a dump on Amex back in the late 90’s. I did not BK them, and nor did they try to sue me. Yeah I know lucky me. Somewhere around $12k to $18k if I recall correctly.  

I threw caution to the wind, and cold app them in 2016. Instant approval on a BCE for $1k. Card showed up with membership since 96 on it. 

There will always be exceptions to how Amex plays ball. 

12 hours ago, TheVig said:

I took a dump on Amex back in the late 90’s. I did not BK them, and nor did they try to sue me. Yeah I know lucky me. Somewhere around $12k to $18k if I recall correctly.  

I threw caution to the wind, and cold app them in 2016. Instant approval on a BCE for $1k. Card showed up with membership since 96 on it. 

Exactly, nothing is absolute, except that nothing is absolute.  Once we go through our mortgage re-fi I will try again.  I limit myself to like twice a year now.

On 6/29/2021 at 5:20 AM, TheVig said:

this was also my experience except my balances were under $5k IIRC

On 7/1/2021 at 6:58 AM, TeeSharice said:

this was also my experience except my balances were under $5k IIRC

Hi TeeSharice,

Interesting. So you defaulted and they did not come after you? Wow! Back when I defaulted, prior to my listing them as a creditor in my BK13 filing, they assigned the account to a collection agency: GC Services (circa 1999 - 2000). NOTE: I later had my attorney convert my 13 case to a Chapter 7 case.

May I ask, what is the "BCE" AMEX card product.