Chase 5/24 Question

A Credit Ed

I'm at 4/24 and waiting until September (two collections are scheduled to drop off in July) to apply for a Chase card I'm coveting.  If my wife adds me as an AU to her oldest card - from the 70's! - will Chase see that as new to my file and put me at 5/24?  I don't think so and would hope not, but there are a lot of people wiser than myself here and I thought I would ask first.

The AU card will report with its original open date, so it won't appear to be a new card.

Amex is the issuer to avoid for AUs if account age is a concern.  Those report as new accounts.

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

The AU card will report with its original open date, so it won't appear to be a new card.

Amex is the issuer to avoid for AUs if account age is a concern.  Those report as new accounts.

A family member added me to a 33k AMEX Card and I was so excited until I saw the Account Opened Date :(. It still helps though!

5 hours ago, moonpirate said:

A family member added me to a 33k AMEX Card and I was so excited until I saw the Account Opened Date :(. It still helps though!

It'll still add depth to the file and help with utilization, but damn it if the open date isn't potentially the best part!

Amex used to report the open date for new cards with the same year as when you got your first one.... that's how I have ~8 open and closed accounts reporting 1995.  That was an enormous help.  I had just started indiscriminately opening/closing Amices when they stopped doing that.  I still have an otherwise-useless open Blue Sky from that era.  ✈️

A couple of years ago I noticed that my mother had a Chase card that she opened in 1992.  She added me as an AU, and now that's "my" oldest account.

Edited by cv91915

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

It'll still add depth to the file and help with utilization, but damn it if the open date isn't potentially the best part!

Amex used to report the open date for new cards with the same year as when you got your first one.... that's how I have ~8 open and closed accounts reporting 1995.  That was an enormous help.  I had just started indiscriminately opening/closing Amices when they stopped doing that.  I still have an otherwise-useless open Blue Sky from that era.  ✈️

A couple of years ago I noticed that my mother had a Chase card that she opened in 1992.  She added me as an AU, and now that's "my" oldest account.

Hmm I may ask my cousin if he still has his Bank of America Card. My other 2 AUs have utilization above 20% but under 30% but I don't like it. Especially since I am implementing the $2 trick.

On 6/18/2021 at 6:20 AM, moonpirate said:

Hmm I may ask my cousin if he still has his Bank of America Card. My other 2 AUs have utilization above 20% but under 30% but I don't like it. Especially since I am implementing the $2 trick.

The $2 trick won't work if you have those AUs reporting. You need to get them off of your report. They're not doing you any good if they have balances.

On 6/19/2021 at 6:28 AM, get.randy said:

The $2 trick won't work if you have those AUs reporting. You need to get them off of your report. They're not doing you any good if they have balances.

Thanks for the clarification. I am going to ask to be dropped off for now. It will bring my AAoA down but since I am not looking for any new CCs it won't hurt and I can always be added back later.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    cain1974

Important Information

Guidelines