New CC - "Custom Cash" by Citi

I searched for it, but didn't see one anyway, feel free to delete if it's a duplicate!

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-custom-cash-credit-card

image.thumb.png.25e4dfb0303a63fffaf77503b42b2f56.png

Looks pretty solid, and as it auto-structures 5% to a category it's used on the most, I think that has a place in practically every wallet.  Might take me a few months testing to get it sorted what Citi calls what (Since my experiences there tell me no CSR will have a clue), but when I do, that's a solid spend in whichever Disco/Chase don't want to put at 5% for that month.  Thoughts?  I will likely apply this weekend when I have some free time.

Thank you for posting this.  

They've managed the caps differently than some of the other "5% category" cards (Citi is $500/month vs. the others being more flexible with $1,500 for the quarter, regardless of month) but with the occasional exception of home improvement stores, that wouldn't be a problem for most of these.

This would be a good gas card for us, and it would be hard to beat for groceries for households that don't spend significantly more than $500/month.

I'm seriously considering this for gasoline.

Restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, select travel, select transit, select streaming services, drugstores, home improvement stores, fitness clubs, live entertainment.

i was alerted to this card via AwardWallet yesterday:   https://awardwallet.com/blog/citi-custom-cash-review/

Decent card, but I'm modestly averse to any "ThankYou" rewards cards from Citi ... if for no other reason than points expire.  (My bad, but I tend not to redeem for long periods and don't actively monitor point status.)

That, notwithstanding, I expect to end up with a couple of these cards in our household.  Citi has been actively soliciting a voluntary product change out of our Dividend Platinum Select cards (one of which is 32 years old, the other 16).  With monthly 5% rewards on your highest spend  in the 10 assigned bonus spend categories, this card most closely matches the features of Dividend (vs other available Citi products).  I fully expect that they'll ultimately force a conversion of Dividend cardholders over to this card (without the $200 SUB benefit).

Btw, @Nocturne, Citi provides a fairly detailed summary as to what types of charges are assigned to each of the bonus spend categories:

https://citicards.citi.com/usc/LPACA/Citi/Cards/CustomCash/legal/index.html

"Custom Cash" bonus point structure is an improvement over the typical "enroll in/choose the quarter bonus category" cards.

-- You automatically qualify for 5% rewards in your highest bonus spend category; no quarterly enrollment necesssary.

-- Monthly 5% category assignment enhances rewards earning potential:  A strong spend in one category in January and in another category in February can both qualify for 5% rewards by virtue of monthly category determination.

-- An offset to this boosted earn potential is that a $1500 quarterly cap on other cards means that up to $1500 spend in a single month can qualify.  Citi caps at $500/month.  Larger spends in a bonus category would need to be spread across months to fully earn 5%.

Would have been nice if city would have set the cap at $1000.

They still periodically hit me up to convert my DC to TY points. Not gonna do it.

On 6/11/2021 at 7:48 PM, Wander907 said:

Wish this had existed when I got a blue cash everyday card (AE).  This would make a good grocery card for me, I only spend about $300 a month on that outside costco.

I'm of the mind that no card is forever.  And you can have both.  ;) 

7 hours ago, Nocturne said:

Pffft.  So they sent me the offer 'pre-approved' and yet I get a 7 day wait.  I forget why I even have Citi cards sometimes....  Le sigh.  

Got off work now, did the jumping through hoops (They put a 7-day hold to verify it was actually me despite the preapproval code, but okay).  Now have an approval with Citi's typical low-to-me limits.  But at least now I can later fuse a couple cards together and make them (hopefully) one with a higher limit.  $7900 though starts the ball rolling and makes it actually useful.  Hopefully fuse it later with the $6000 on the Diamond Preferred I BTed with a few years back.  

For me, this looks like a solid 'advance' card.  Do my gym membership annually, so one month, this card gets that.  30% off for annual rate, bonus 5% back on card.  Next month, load up on the home rehab product du jour, so forth and so on.  Months that's not a thing, it's a solid gas or grocery, whichever the Chase isn't offering.  All in all, I like it...and now get to wait a few months before doing all the combination fun.  I suppose now is the fun time to start plotting my spend, before the card arrives.  I was sad to find that insurance isn't a category, because I was going to use that bill to hit the spend with the yearly premium due.

16 hours ago, Nocturne said:

Got off work now, did the jumping through hoops (They put a 7-day hold to verify it was actually me despite the preapproval code, but okay).  Now have an approval with Citi's typical low-to-me limits.  But at least now I can later fuse a couple cards together and make them (hopefully) one with a higher limit.  $7900 though starts the ball rolling and makes it actually useful.  Hopefully fuse it later with the $6000 on the Diamond Preferred I BTed with a few years back.  

For me, this looks like a solid 'advance' card.  Do my gym membership annually, so one month, this card gets that.  30% off for annual rate, bonus 5% back on card.  Next month, load up on the home rehab product du jour, so forth and so on.  Months that's not a thing, it's a solid gas or grocery, whichever the Chase isn't offering.  All in all, I like it...and now get to wait a few months before doing all the combination fun.  I suppose now is the fun time to start plotting my spend, before the card arrives.  I was sad to find that insurance isn't a category, because I was going to use that bill to hit the spend with the yearly premium due.

I'm not entirely certain if Citi is allowing customers to combine/move limits.  Over time they've run hot and cold on that.

If you have success (or not), let us know in the master thread and I'll update the list with your recent data point.