Barclays CLI Request: Aim High?

Has anyone attempted a CLI from Barclays recently?  

If I aim too high will they reject the request, or just counter with a lower number?  I'm trying to decide how much to ask for.

Background:

Barclays hasn't given me an actual CLI since 2016.  

The two most recent increases in the limit on my Aviator Silver have been the result of closing other Barclays cards (first the Sallie Mae card when it got devalued, and then the Arrival+, which has always been a bona fide turd that I only opened for the SUB).

The response to every CLI request in recent years has been a denial for not enough usage... even when it's been exercised vigorously, at least compared to the average consumer.  

And the last time I applied for a Barclays card they declined me, and even refused to move some of my existing credit line to the new card so they wouldn't even be extending me more credit.

They do not like me for some reason.

We've put ~$30k on this card in the past ~30 days, so I figured "It's now or never, Barclays."

KPMopxg.png 

4 hours ago, TheVig said:

Sorry. Can’t help. Other than I plan to move my CL from my Cash Forward over to the Choice Privileges. Only reason I haven’t done it yet, is because I’m too lazy to make the call. 

Maybe this is the kick in the ... you needed to make that call.  :) 

This isn't recent but the same principles should apply.  When I was asking for CLIs from Barclays, I asked for what I actually wanted.  When that was too high, they would reject it, and I would call to recon.  Usually I would be approved on recon.

Also, recon provides an opportunity to negotiate the amount.

Edited by nemo

After letting it stew a while, I recalled some additional details.

*  In my case, pre-pandemic, a 10% CLI would usually be approved without recon.

*  When I would call for recon, they played this funny game where they asked for two numbers:

1)  What increase are you requesting?

2)  What is the minimum increase you will accept if you can't get what you are asking for?

They often gave me what I was asking for, and if not, usually something in between.  Stating a minimum did not hurt me.

Edited by nemo
4 hours ago, nemo said:

After letting it stew a while, I recalled some additional details.

*  In my case, pre-pandemic, a 10% CLI would usually be approved without recon.

*  When I would call for recon, they played this funny game where they asked for two numbers:

1)  What increase are you requesting?

2)  What is the minimum increase you will accept if you can't get what you are asking for?

They often gave me what I was asking for, and if not, usually something in between.  Stating a minimum did not hurt me.

Thanks for the additional details!