Disputing Included in Bankruptcy Tradelines

So I’m 15 months post Chapter 7 discharge. FICO Scores plummeted from 740 to 450 when the discharge hit. Currently I’m sitting just below a 700 FICO, I have a Capital One QS with a 3k limit ( they were IIB and came back 12 months post discharge, a new 40k auto loan at 3%, a Secured SDFCU card with a 1k limit, 1k credit builder loan with a local credit builder that will be paid off in September.

What is holding me back is the 7 accounts that are listed as paid, closed, and included in bankruptcy. How should I attack these? Should I leave them and just work on building a solid history again? I’m not sure how I should even challenge these old trade lines. They are primarily with Synchrony and Discover.

4 hours ago, ihatecollections said:

So I’m 15 months post Chapter 7 discharge. FICO Scores plummeted from 740 to 450 when the discharge hit. Currently I’m sitting just below a 700 FICO, I have a Capital One QS with a 3k limit ( they were IIB and came back 12 months post discharge, a new 40k auto loan at 3%, a Secured SDFCU card with a 1k limit, 1k credit builder loan with a local credit builder that will be paid off in September.

What is holding me back is the 7 accounts that are listed as paid, closed, and included in bankruptcy. How should I attack these? 

@shifter has a long thread chronicling his post-BK activities that may have useful insight about what he did with his IIB TLs.

When you say "holding me back," what exactly do you mean?  

Let's say you are able to get rid of 5 of the 7 IIB TLs...  the BK is still there, which means you're in one of FICO's BK scoring buckets.

Even if you were to get rid of all 7 but not the BK.  No one is going to believe that you filed BK but somehow managed to not burn anyone on your credit report.

5 hours ago, ihatecollections said:

work on building a solid history again

Do this no matter what.

The IIB account really don’t matter much IF they don’t have late’s and or charge offs associated with them. If they do they drag your score down and of course the BK will always negatively affect your score until it’s gone.

On 6/7/2021 at 8:28 AM, cv91915 said:

When you say "holding me back," what exactly do you mean? 

I have been denied cards while rebuilding for the reason of poor credit history with xxxxxxx.

I got Capital One off with a random dispute of not my account and then as soon as it came off the report I was able to get a quick silver card.

3 hours ago, ihatecollections said:

I have been denied cards while rebuilding for the reason of poor credit history with xxxxxxx.

I got Capital One off with a random dispute of not my account and then as soon as it came off the report I was able to get a quick silver card.

I see.  I stand by my original answer.  With the BK reporting, having more or fewer IIB accounts probably won't make a lot of difference as long as there is other evidence of the BK showing (like the public record itself and/or other IIB accounts).

Your observation with Capital One is a coincidence and not cause/effect.  

Regardless of whether your old Capital One account is reporting on your credit, Capital One has a record of it -- and likely will maintain the record forever.  They'll give people a new card with a previous Capital One CO still reporting.

Seconding CV on what entities retain...and it is not just BK that can be problematic.  I've mentioned on MANY occasions about the issues with BofA for many years after the MBNA merger and their keeping of the MBNA staff.  I was penalized for ~$40K in losses that were not my fault (documented ID theft) and that continued to be problematic for several years after the accounts had been removed from the reports.  Even now, I get gun-shy with BofA...

US Skank is another that historically denies for things NOT on a credit report...some lenders are just like that.  People mistakenly believe that clean reports are the golden ticket or a three-digit score automatically means an approval.  Don't be one of those people...