Question for those who've had the Covid shot.

butterflywings

My husband, myself and our son have all been fully vaccinated. My husband and son only had a mild sore arm.  I developed a 102.8 fever after the shot, and I was sore all over, and had really bad nausea, but it only lasted 2 days..

Our 16yr old daughter received her first shot May15th, 24hrs after the shot she was throwing up, that lasted 12hrs, she had a 102 fever that lasted 5 days, but the worst has been her massive fatigue, we're talking mono type of fatigue, she was sleeping 16hrs a day, one of the days she slept 14hrs straight..  She's the top student in her grade but she was getting behind in her classes because she was so out of it..

She saw her Dr last week. To backtrack a bit, she had a cold right before her shot, we all had the cold, it was the usual sore throat stuffy/runny nose.. anyway our Dr feels we all had Covid! He said Covid is what's going around, not the common cold, he said that would explain why she's been so fatigued since getting the shot..  He said people with Covid antibodies have stronger side effects from the shot, especially if they had gotten Covid right before the shot.

She's almost fully recovered now, today she feels great, and she's all caught up in her classes..

My question is this, her next shot is scheduled for the 5th, in 3 days. We saw her Dr again today, he said to cancel that appt and wait til 6/26 to get it, that's the longest she can wait..He said that way she'll be less affected by the shot but tbh, Im scared about her getting the 2nd shot. Do you think the 2nd shot is safe in someone who had a long term reaction to the first one. I'm just looking for guidance, not medical advice.. I asked her Dr about it today and he said she should be fine..I wasn't exactly comforted by that response..but I understand the vaccine is new so everyone is learning about it as we go..

If he's right, and that she had Covid, she was a lot less affected by it than the vaccine. 

Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks.

I had the virus back in January.  They told me to wait 3 months before getting the vaccine.  

If you doctor thinks that you had virus, did he test you?  The vaccines will not cause you to test positive for the virus as none of the vaccines actually use a weakened version of the virus.  Yes, they use parts of the virus that trigger something in the cells  (sorry, I'm not all that sure of how it works, other than it works differently that vaccines for other viruses in the past that used weakened or dead strains of the virus) Either which way, it will not cause you to test positive unless you actually have the virus.

I think the first thing to do is to see if she actually has the virus.  Then go from there. 

19 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I'm so sorry about the situation and the anxiety is undoubtedly causing.  

Other things equal, I'll go with medical advice on something like this, vs. hoping/guessing.  

Any reason to assume you didn't get good medical advice?

I trust my Dr, he's been our family Dr for 30yrs almost, and he's seen my daughter since Day 1, but like he said we just don't know about this shot's effects on teenagers yet..On older people there is a lot of date out there already, but not on teens yet, so he can only assume she'll be ok after the 2nd shot.

18 hours ago, mk_378 said:

An antibody test will tell if a person has had COVID or not.  It looks for different antibodies than the vaccine generates.

As a general rule, having a strong bad reaction to your first dose of anything is a perfectly valid reason not to take another one.

My Dr said at the first post-shot visit, "it's too bad she wasn't tested for covid when she had her cold symptoms, then we'd know if it was covid or not. I said she was sneezing all over the place, we all were,  I thought that symptom pointed away from covid so I didnt consider getting any of us tested.

Also, our Dr said she can't be tested for covid now because the test can show positive from the vaccine, not all the time, but some of the time so that the results won't be conclusive..

She's got asthma so the stakes are high about the decision we make, and I heard there's a new variant that's pretty bad, it hasnt reached the USA yet but it probably will. I dont know how much of a protection one shot will give her..

17 hours ago, Tigz said:

I had the virus back in January.  They told me to wait 3 months before getting the vaccine.  

If you doctor thinks that you had virus, did he test you?  The vaccines will not cause you to test positive for the virus as none of the vaccines actually use a weakened version of the virus.  Yes, they use parts of the virus that trigger something in the cells  (sorry, I'm not all that sure of how it works, other than it works differently that vaccines for other viruses in the past that used weakened or dead strains of the virus) Either which way, it will not cause you to test positive unless you actually have the virus.

I think the first thing to do is to see if she actually has the virus.  Then go from there. 

My mom who is 87yrs old had Covid last month and had NO symptoms!!!! Can you believe that??! She wanted to start going to church once the restrictions were lifted and asked to be tested, she wasn't vaccinated yet. She said she felt no need to be vaccinated since she hasn't gone out once during the last year.. they stuck that thing up her nose and it can back she was in the middle of an infection. She was stunned, we all were. We were even more surprised when my sister and BIL, who she lives with, were tested and they were negative!

I wrote above that our Dr said Chrissy can't be tested for Covid because the shot causes a positive test result sometimes so it's of no use. Believe me I want her to get tested.

On 6/2/2021 at 12:25 PM, butterflywings said:

My husband, myself and our son have all been fully vaccinated. My husband and son only had a mild sore arm.  I developed a 102.8 fever after the shot, and I was sore all over, and had really bad nausea, but it only lasted 2 days..

Our 16yr old daughter received her first shot May15th, 24hrs after the shot she was throwing up, that lasted 12hrs, she had a 102 fever that lasted 5 days, but the worst has been her massive fatigue, we're talking mono type of fatigue, she was sleeping 16hrs a day, one of the days she slept 14hrs straight..  She's the top student in her grade but she was getting behind in her classes because she was so out of it..

She saw her Dr last week. To backtrack a bit, she had a cold right before her shot, we all had the cold, it was the usual sore throat stuffy/runny nose.. anyway our Dr feels we all had Covid! He said Covid is what's going around, not the common cold, he said that would explain why she's been so fatigued since getting the shot..  He said people with Covid antibodies have stronger side effects from the shot, especially if they had gotten Covid right before the shot.

She's almost fully recovered now, today she feels great, and she's all caught up in her classes..

My question is this, her next shot is scheduled for the 5th, in 3 days. We saw her Dr again today, he said to cancel that appt and wait til 6/26 to get it, that's the longest she can wait..He said that way she'll be less affected by the shot but tbh, Im scared about her getting the 2nd shot. Do you think the 2nd shot is safe in someone who had a long term reaction to the first one. I'm just looking for guidance, not medical advice.. I asked her Dr about it today and he said she should be fine..I wasn't exactly comforted by that response..but I understand the vaccine is new so everyone is learning about it as we go..

If he's right, and that she had Covid, she was a lot less affected by it than the vaccine. 

Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks.

Listen to your gut instinct, Mama! Please keep digging, one of the resources that I found valuable is the Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System. You cannot undo this shot & it very much sounds like your girl was a lot less affected by the virus than the vaccine. Personally, I wouldn't chance round 2 since the first one was so difficult for her. We opted for antibody testing which showed we all had it in our family with many symptoms not specifically listed as covid symptoms. None of us were ever down and out sick in the last year so we were definitely surprised by the results. I trust my immune system way more than a shot that no one is liable for if it causes harm. 

An antibody test can be used to determine a prior infection if it uses the "N" antigen.

CDC:

However, the EUA indications for currently authorized tests do not preclude the use of these tests on individuals who have received a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine. Vaccination may cause false-positive results for tests that utilize the S antigen or subunits like RBD, but not for tests that use the N antigen.

You might consider filing a VAERS report online re your daughter.

VAERS - FAQs (hhs.gov)

Wife and I got the 2 Pfizer shots. Sore arm and I felt slightly off the rest of the day after the second shot. Slept good that night and have been fine since.

There's an app on our cell phones that bugged us every few days for any residual effects. Still bugs us about once a week and that's after 3 months!

Update:

She got the 2nd Pfizer last Friday. She woke up the day before and said I want to do it, I want to get it over with. I don't want to be tired all summer..

I made an appt for the next day @ 3:30pm. That night around 9:15pm I went back on CVS's website to see if i could get an earlier appt, maybe someone canceled...I saw they had opened up all their morning appts, they were all available. I picked 9am.

We get there at 8:30am and walk to the counter, i said my daughter is here for her 2nd shot. It was funny, the pharmacist and all 4 of the workers looked @ me like wtf. One of them said what time is her appt, I said 9am, the worker said what's your daughter's name I said Christina .. She said your daughter does have an appt...well...ok.....we're going to have to get the vaccine out of the freezer first, and defrost it. lol.

The pharmacist said we've only had afternoon appts avail for the Pfizer shot because kids are in school all day.. but the TPTB @ CVS told us yesterday they were planning on opening up all the morning appts on the vaccine website, but they didn't tell us when they were doing that. I said did anyone else besides me make an appt, she said no, you're the only one, you're the only vaccine scheduled until 3pm.

It was great, we didn't have to deal with any lines of people, I guess it took 25min to defrost the vial because when we got back in the car to leave it was 8:57am.

The best news of all is she's had zero fatigue! Six hours after the shot she had a 100.3 fever, it never went higher than that..the fever lasted 2days. She has some mild body aches but that's it..

Thanks everyone for your responses. I appreciate them..

On 6/17/2021 at 6:54 AM, Krish said:

We all are fully vaccinated at home.

Both my 12 and 14 yrs old got Pfizer and they felt nothing... they been playing all day after 1 and 2nd shots.

I on the other hand had fatigue and pain at injection site and had to take on tyelonol before going to bed and felt fine the next day.

I was at the dentist yesterday, she has 3 children all younger than Chris. I was telling her about Chris' first Pfizer shot and her side effects and how the 2nd shot was so much easier.. she said Im glad you told me because my son got his 1st Pfizer shot too, and he's had severe fatigue, and we haven't been sure about getting him the 2nd shot,  she said you've made me feel a lot better.

I said my dr thinks Chris had covid right before the shot, she said my son DID have covid, right before his first shot, he tested positive for covid in Feb, he had zero symptoms, she said the vaccine on the other hand made him feel awful..

Usually they say about any given vaccine that the side effects are so much less than the condition you're getting the shot for, but i think this covid vaccine is proving that to not be true... for some people.