Target Credit Tyrants

First off, I apologize if my post is not in it's correct category.  I could not find an exact match.

I added my 18 year old daughter (now 20) to my Target credit account, as well as other accounts, as an AU.  This 14-year old account in combination with her own accounts achieved a 780 FICO for her in December 2020.  Not bad at 20 years old.

In January, my entire financial situation collapsed and I immediately had her removed from all my accounts.  Target did not remove her.

Then the 30, 60, and 90 day late payments started reporting, and in April I sent another scathing letter demanding they remove her.  Still, they did not.  The online chat and the phone calls were useless.  I was immediately routed to Collections and they had NO interest in talking about removing my daughter.

Today, she's been saddled with a 120-day late from Target and she has not been removed.  Her score went from 780 to 622 as of yesterday.  

Does anyone know how this can be resolved?   She never asked to be added.  She never carried or used their card.  She had no knowledge of being added until recently.  This situation has become ugly.  She's trying to finance a car.

Thanks, as always, to this incredible group of knowledgeable people for any insight or help.   Take care!

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry to hear about this happening to you and your daughter. This is certainly a frustrating situation that TD Bank (Target Credit) should have been able to resolve for you. However, this is a relatively easy fix for this situation that should result in your daughter being able to get this removed from her credit reports.

Since your daughter was added to the card as an Authorized User, she has no legal responsibility for account repayment. What she will need to do is to contact the three (four) credit bureaus, Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion (and Innovis) to dispute the account. She should explain that she is no longer an authorized user and request that the account be struck/deleted from her credit report. They will usually remove it almost immediately without fuss.

Experian: How to Dispute Credit Report Information - Experian

Equifax: File a Dispute on Your Equifax Credit Report | Equifax®

TransUnion: Dispute Credit Report: How to Dispute | TransUnion

Innovis: Dispute Resolution | Innovis

In addition to this, you should send a letter to TD Bank (Target Credit) also requesting that your daughter be removed from the account. That way, you will have the official request in writing.

I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how things turn out for the both of you.

Edited by policebox

I really appreciate your kind response.  Just a quick note that I have sent two letters to TD/Target already in addition to making contact via chat and phone.  

Thanks again.  I will post any updates!   Take care!

On 5/24/2021 at 6:20 AM, Nyrell said:

I really appreciate your kind response.  Just a quick note that I have sent two letters to TD/Target already in addition to making contact via chat and phone.  

Thanks again.  I will post any updates!   Take care!

TD and Target are two completely different entities.  Which one have you been contacting?