Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hey Everyone:

 

I'm based in NY- 6 year SOL. I was wondering if I could get some insight here. Started on my credit repair journey. Started off by correcting name/addresses on all 3 reports. 

 

Transunion: Had a civil judgement due to a regulatory issue. Dept. of Treasury now holds the judgement. It's showing up on my transunion report only as a collection. I was under the impression that judgements were not to be shown on CR. Spoke with Transunion and they stated this is true and to mail a copy of the judgement. Did this via mail, certified. They responded with no changes at all. Creditor then sends me a letter threatening wage garnishment, letter is dated March 10th, received it last week. How does everyone suggest handling this?

 

Discover: Was a CO. Sent an OC validation letter, they simply responded by mailing me a copy of some old statements and didn't acknowledge my letter but stated "Please find attached the Discover card statement reprints requested." Last payment was Dec of 2016. Do I follow up with nutcase?

 

Calvary Collections: Acquired CC from Citibank. Charge off date was May 2016. Sent nutcase letter, they responded by sending 3 letters. 2 of them were identical except for the paragraph "because the dispute alleges no specific information to form the basis for an investigation, we are unable to investigate the dispute pursuant to FCRA."  The third letter were just copies of old statements. How do I follow up?

 

CCS Collections: Collection from Gieco. Date of last payment not on my CR but likely 2017. Sent nutcase letter certified, they received it on April 12th. No response. How do I follow up?

 

J.P. Morgan Auto: CO June 2017. Sent OC validation letter to the address listed on credit reports and on the Chase website. Received it back as return to sender. Any advice with this?

 

Navient: Have some lates on my accounts (30/60/120) within the past few years. Haven't tackled this yet as there doesn't appear to be a lot of success with Navient. Any insight?

Edited by deansreturned
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kicking the federal government rarely ends well for an individual...since it was a Treasury issue, that suggests a good-sized deficiency.  Those have hefty garnishment options that are often substantially higher than what is permitted for garden-variety garnishment-eligible debt. 

 

Discover sent you far more than they were required to send. 

 

Calvary is correct if you gave them no basis FOR the dispute.  This isn't 2000...the major players are onto the games people play.  Specificity is a must if you hope to get anywhere. 

 

With regard to CCS, you need to hope you are not in a State where an insurance deficiency can impact your ability to renew a drivers license or vehicle registration. 

 

On the auto loan, when was the last time that the account was updated?  Yes, it matters.  However, even if current, you need to be reviewing the original documents you had from the loan as the Contract often has specific addresses for things like a dispute. 

 

Since Navient appears to be current at the moment, you may be stuck with the lates.  Had it been in a position for rehab, there might have been other options that allowed for it to be brought current, at which time the old derogatory information would have been deleted and you could refinance it elsewhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, centex said:

Kicking the federal government rarely ends well for an individual...since it was a Treasury issue, that suggests a good-sized deficiency.  Those have hefty garnishment options that are often substantially higher than what is permitted for garden-variety garnishment-eligible debt. 

 

No intension of kicking them. Just was under the impression judgements should not appear on credit reports. 

 

4 hours ago, centex said:

 

Discover sent you far more than they were required to send. 

 

Thank you. Do you have any suggestions regarding how to follow up?

 

4 hours ago, centex said:

 

Calvary is correct if you gave them no basis FOR the dispute.  This isn't 2000...the major players are onto the games people play.  Specificity is a must if you hope to get anywhere. 

 

I understand. Will look for specificity. Any resources that you can point me to regarding this?

 

I agree regarding it no longer being 2000. There are a ton of resources here but many of them seem to be dated. 

 

4 hours ago, centex said:

 

With regard to CCS, you need to hope you are not in a State where an insurance deficiency can impact your ability to renew a drivers license or vehicle registration. 

 

Not sure and I don't currently drive anyway. Don't they have 30 days to respond? Any advice on how to handle this? 

 

4 hours ago, centex said:

 

On the auto loan, when was the last time that the account was updated?  Yes, it matters.  However, even if current, you need to be reviewing the original documents you had from the loan as the Contract often has specific addresses for things like a dispute. 

 

July 31, 2018 was the late date it was updated. Will pull original contract to see if there's any info on it. Assumed address on CR and JPM website would be accurate as they're a very large lender. 

 

4 hours ago, centex said:

 

Since Navient appears to be current at the moment, you may be stuck with the lates.  Had it been in a position for rehab, there might have been other options that allowed for it to be brought current, at which time the old derogatory information would have been deleted and you could refinance it elsewhere. 

 

Unfortunately, I believe you maybe correct. May go for the polite request. 

 

Thank you very much for reading my post and providing your comments. I really appreciate it! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you are in a State that requires a response under State law, there is no requirement that they EVER reply to you.  You don't indicate if this is a dispute within the original 30 days after notice was given.  The fact that you claimed nutcase was sent suggests you have long since gone beyond that point. 

 

As to Chase, if 2018 was the last update, it is not out of the realm that they changed office mailing addresses.  This happens on a regular basis with some of the larger outfits.

 

I generally don't provide guidance where people are sending 'nutcase' letters because those tend not to accomplish anything productive nor did the sender really want to resolve the matter.  Had I been in the situation you describe, I would have been finding points of executive contact through SEC filings and reaching out to them with tailored letters.   I am ALSO a fan of using State law to my advantage but I am in a jurisdiction with strong consumer protection statutes when one uses them as the Legislature intended. 

 

It is ALSO entirely possible to make a PFD offer that is not an admission of liability.  Companies pay nuisance amounts to close out litigation on a regular basis in this very manner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, centex said:

Unless you are in a State that requires a response under State law, there is no requirement that they EVER reply to you.  You don't indicate if this is a dispute within the original 30 days after notice was given.  The fact that you claimed nutcase was sent suggests you have long since gone beyond that point. 

 

Will research. Thank you 

 

3 hours ago, centex said:

As to Chase, if 2018 was the last update, it is not out of the realm that they changed office mailing addresses.  This happens on a regular basis with some of the larger outfits.

 

Will research, thank you. 

 

3 hours ago, centex said:

 

I generally don't provide guidance where people are sending 'nutcase' letters because those tend not to accomplish anything productive nor did the sender really want to resolve the matter.  Had I been in the situation you describe, I would have been finding points of executive contact through SEC filings and reaching out to them with tailored letters.   I am ALSO a fan of using State law to my advantage but I am in a jurisdiction with strong consumer protection statutes when one uses them as the Legislature intended. 

 

I have all intensions of resolving the matter. Just following the research I've come up with here and trying my best.  

 

3 hours ago, centex said:

 

It is ALSO entirely possible to make a PFD offer that is not an admission of liability.  Companies pay nuisance amounts to close out litigation on a regular basis in this very manner. 

 

Good point. I will consider that. Thank you! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, deansreturned said:

J.P. Morgan Auto: CO June 2017. Sent OC validation letter to the address listed on credit reports and on the Chase website. Received it back as return to sender. Any advice with this?

 

If you still have the envelope, mail a dispute to the bureau to which it was sent, enclose a copy showing how it was addressed and the RTS notation and ask for deletion.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

 

If you still have the envelope, mail a dispute to the bureau to which it was sent, enclose a copy showing how it was addressed and the RTS notation and ask for deletion.  

 

Interesting idea. I will try that. Thank you 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, deansreturned said:

 

Interesting idea. I will try that. Thank you 

 

 

I'm glad you were able to parse through that.  I didn't state it very well.  I have this pesky work meeting going on in the background.  :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

 

I'm glad you were able to parse through that.  I didn't state it very well.  I have this pesky work meeting going on in the background.  :D 

 

Haha, no worries. Thank you very much for taking the time to read it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

 

If you still have the envelope, mail a dispute to the bureau to which it was sent, enclose a copy showing how it was addressed and the RTS notation and ask for deletion.  

Except that they acknowledged it had not been updated in almost three years...hence it is not as though there was current reporting of an incorrect address.  OP is more likely to see an update to fresh addressing and a current date which complicates the ultimate scoring issue/outcome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, centex said:

Except that they acknowledged it had not been updated in almost three years...hence it is not as though there was current reporting of an incorrect address.  OP is more likely to see an update to fresh addressing and a current date which complicates the ultimate scoring issue/outcome.

 

I'm reading that the c/o occurred in 2017, but the TL is currently reporting with an invalid address for the OC.  A letter mailed to that address recently came back RTS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

 

I'm reading that the c/o occurred in 2017, but the TL is currently reporting with an invalid address for the OC.  A letter mailed to that address recently came back RTS.

 

yes, correct

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

 

I'm reading that the c/o occurred in 2017, but the TL is currently reporting with an invalid address for the OC.  A letter mailed to that address recently came back RTS.

My comment was based upon their post that the last update was in 2018..."July 31, 2018 was the late date it was updated. Will pull original contract to see if there's any info on it. Assumed address on CR and JPM website would be accurate as they're a very large lender." 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, centex said:

My comment was based upon their post that the last update was in 2018..."July 31, 2018 was the late date it was updated. Will pull original contract to see if there's any info on it. Assumed address on CR and JPM website would be accurate as they're a very large lender." 

 

Apologizes for confusion. 

 

CO was June 2017

 

The last date that it was updated on CR was July 31, 2018

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not suggesting not digging up the original contract, but if Chase is listed on your credit report with an address that doesn't receive mail, I'd still dispute the TL with the bureau.

 

Whatever's reporting needs to be accurate.  It's worth a try.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, deansreturned said:

Discover: Was a CO. Sent an OC validation letter, they simply responded by mailing me a copy of some old statements and didn't acknowledge my letter but stated "Please find attached the Discover card statement reprints requested." Last payment was Dec of 2016. Do I follow up with nutcase?

 

Calvary Collections: Acquired CC from Citibank. Charge off date was May 2016. Sent nutcase letter, they responded by sending 3 letters. 2 of them were identical except for the paragraph "because the dispute alleges no specific information to form the basis for an investigation, we are unable to investigate the dispute pursuant to FCRA."  The third letter were just copies of old statements. How do I follow up?

 

On these two, have you gone through your paper reports data point by data point and confirmed that there are no legitimate errors to dispute?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Discover: Was a CO. Sent an OC validation letter

 

This is your first mistake, and you repeated it several times. Instead of reading your credit report, try reading the FDCPA. Your homework assignment is to tell US what the mistake is you keep making.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, legaleagle2012 said:

Discover: Was a CO. Sent an OC validation letter

 

This is your first mistake, and you repeated it several times. Instead of reading your credit report, try reading the FDCPA. Your homework assignment is to tell US what the mistake is you keep making.

 

What did OP do to deserve that type of condescending response?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Admin
8 hours ago, legaleagle2012 said:

Discover: Was a CO. Sent an OC validation letter

 

This is your first mistake, and you repeated it several times. Instead of reading your credit report, try reading the FDCPA. Your homework assignment is to tell US what the mistake is you keep making.

Sometimes, I just want to give up when dealing with some of the surly NON-HELPFUL members.   You should be ashamed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2021 at 3:43 AM, deansreturned said:

Hey Everyone:

 

I'm based in NY- 6 year SOL. I was wondering if I could get some insight here. Started on my credit repair journey. Started off by correcting name/addresses on all 3 reports. 

 

Transunion: Had a civil judgement due to a regulatory issue. Dept. of Treasury now holds the judgement. It's showing up on my transunion report only as a collection. I was under the impression that judgements were not to be shown on CR. Spoke with Transunion and they stated this is true and to mail a copy of the judgement. Did this via mail, certified. They responded with no changes at all. Creditor then sends me a letter threatening wage garnishment, letter is dated March 10th, received it last week. How does everyone suggest handling this?

 

Discover: Was a CO. Sent an OC validation letter, they simply responded by mailing me a copy of some old statements and didn't acknowledge my letter but stated "Please find attached the Discover card statement reprints requested." Last payment was Dec of 2016. Do I follow up with nutcase?

 

Calvary Collections: Acquired CC from Citibank. Charge off date was May 2016. Sent nutcase letter, they responded by sending 3 letters. 2 of them were identical except for the paragraph "because the dispute alleges no specific information to form the basis for an investigation, we are unable to investigate the dispute pursuant to FCRA."  The third letter were just copies of old statements. How do I follow up?

 

CCS Collections: Collection from Gieco. Date of last payment not on my CR but likely 2017. Sent nutcase letter certified, they received it on April 12th. No response. How do I follow up?

 

J.P. Morgan Auto: CO June 2017. Sent OC validation letter to the address listed on credit reports and on the Chase website. Received it back as return to sender. Any advice with this?

 

Navient: Have some lates on my accounts (30/60/120) within the past few years. Haven't tackled this yet as there doesn't appear to be a lot of success with Navient. Any insight?

 

Here is the one thing hasn't been openly stated yet:  the SOL in NY is 6 years to sue for CC debt.  You are poking a sleeping grizzly bear with a giant sharp stick by engaging in credit repair when the SOL has 2 years or more to run.  I am shocked Discover hasn't sued you already as they are one of the top 3 aggressive litigating creditors.  Unfortunately in starting credit repair now all you have done is telegraph to these creditors that you want or NEED credit which will simply cause them to dig in and escalate collection methods to force you to deal with them i.e. pay them money.  

 

NY does not give their residents any special state rights to demand debt validation long after dunning letter(s) were sent that I am aware of.  So your sending DV and "nutcase" letters simply stirred the hornets nest.  They are free to continue collection efforts while ignoring your letters without risk of violating the FDCPA.  I highly suggest you start researching litigation strategies.  Based on those creditors I see one or two lawsuits coming your way soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CreditSucksNot said:

 

Here is the one thing hasn't been openly stated yet:  the SOL in NY is 6 years to sue for CC debt.  You are poking a sleeping grizzly bear with a giant sharp stick by engaging in credit repair when the SOL has 2 years or more to run.  I am shocked Discover hasn't sued you already as they are one of the top 3 aggressive litigating creditors.  Unfortunately in starting credit repair now all you have done is telegraph to these creditors that you want or NEED credit which will simply cause them to dig in and escalate collection methods to force you to deal with them i.e. pay them money.  

 

NY does not give their residents any special state rights to demand debt validation long after dunning letter(s) were sent that I am aware of.  So your sending DV and "nutcase" letters simply stirred the hornets nest.  They are free to continue collection efforts while ignoring your letters without risk of violating the FDCPA.  I highly suggest you start researching litigation strategies.  Based on those creditors I see one or two lawsuits coming your way soon.

 

Great Success. Thank you for the heads up 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2021 at 3:04 AM, legaleagle2012 said:

Discover: Was a CO. Sent an OC validation letter

 

This is your first mistake, and you repeated it several times. Instead of reading your credit report, try reading the FDCPA. Your homework assignment is to tell US what the mistake is you keep making.

 

Got it. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      181,149
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    Tajuana
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines