Jump to content

No signature required


Recommended Posts

The whole signature on the card / see id / etc... used to be a pretty hot topic in the Visa/MC policy.

I just got my latest (Sam's Club) MC card and it has no signature panel at all.    The back of the card has my name, the card number, the exp date, and the cvv2 number and no place for a signature. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, signing the card is going the way of the dodo bird and merchants no longer have to  check signatures. Also, retailers have the option of not having customers sign a receipt but most still use terminals that request siggys. Costco, for instance, doesn't unless you spend 10k or more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a trend.  The chip is apparently better for preventing in-person fraud than relying on the 0.000001% of the time a cashier even looks at the back of the card (much less compares the signature on the card to the one on the receipt). 

 

And if you're signing with a stylus on a terminal, that signature never really looks like your signature anyway.

 

And last, there's nothing to physically sign when you make a purchase online, over the phone, etc.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cv91915 said:

This is a trend.  The chip is apparently better for preventing in-person fraud than relying on the 0.000001% of the time a cashier even looks at the back of the card (much less compares the signature on the card to the one on the receipt). 

 

And if you're signing with a stylus on a terminal, that signature never really looks like your signature anyway.

 

And last, there's nothing to physically sign when you make a purchase online, over the phone, etc.

 

 

The irony is that each of the last three or four instances of fraud appear to have involved cloned cards using information from a chipped card.  There was also a card-not-present transaction that was caught by Chitibank.  None of them were huge amounts, but still seem to illustrate shortcomings of the chipped card. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, centex said:

The irony is that each of the last three or four instances of fraud appear to have involved cloned cards using information from a chipped card.  There was also a card-not-present transaction that was caught by Chitibank.  None of them were huge amounts, but still seem to illustrate shortcomings of the chipped card. 

 

I'm not one to obsess about these things.  I use a credit card for the rewards, and it's the bank's money if they let someone else use my account.  

 

I'm also not one to pay a balance without looking at every transaction, nor do I assume an account is "unused" just because I haven't used it during the month. 

 

The last "surprise" that popped up on an "unused" card was a legitimate charge from the New York Times that only gets charged once a year (crossword puzzle subscription). 

 

Why I put that card on file when I enrolled is still a mystery, and I've since switched it out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 4:43 AM, cv91915 said:

 

I'm not one to obsess about these things.  I use a credit card for the rewards, and it's the bank's money if they let someone else use my account.  

 

I'm also not one to pay a balance without looking at every transaction, nor do I assume an account is "unused" just because I haven't used it during the month. 

 

The last "surprise" that popped up on an "unused" card was a legitimate charge from the New York Times that only gets charged once a year (crossword puzzle subscription). 

 

Why I put that card on file when I enrolled is still a mystery, and I've since switched it out.

Keep-alive, obv.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wander907 said:

I like apple pay actually.  Wish it was universal. Just use your card wherever you would via phone.  

 

US Bank Altitude Reserve yields 4.5% back on all Apple Pay purchases, regardless of category.  In my orbit Apple Pay is mostly worthless outside of grocery stores (which I have covered with 6% back on my Amex BCP [I'm on a no-AF promo with an upgrade bonus]).

 

The $400 AF on Altitude comes with a $325 travel credit, Priority Pass (4 visits and 4 guests a year), 12 Gogo inflight wifi day passes (AA doesn't use Gogo anymore, not sure about which other airlines do).

 

I've also saved some decent money at hotels through the Visa Infinite hotels program (sometimes the Visa Signature hotel offers are similar, though).

 

Check all the benefits, those are just the ones that come to mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2021 at 10:51 PM, cv91915 said:

This is a trend.  The chip is apparently better for preventing in-person fraud than relying on the 0.000001% of the time a cashier even looks at the back of the card (much less compares the signature on the card to the one on the receipt). 

 

And if you're signing with a stylus on a terminal, that signature never really looks like your signature anyway.

 

And last, there's nothing to physically sign when you make a purchase online, over the phone, etc.

 

 

When I sign at a terminal, I just write out my first name (e.g. "Burger").  I recently applied for an Acorns account with debit card.  The signature gets etched into the back of the card.  What they use is how I sign my name with my finger on my cellphone on a form on their web page.  I must have tried signing my name 50 times, trying to make a signature that looks remotely what mine really looks like.  I finally gave up.  It looks like I was holding a pen with my left foot, but it will have to do.  😕  

Edited by Burgerwars
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Burgerwars said:

I must have tried signing my name 50 times, trying to make a signature that looks remotely what mine really looks like.  I finally gave up.  It looks like I was holding a pen with my left foot, but it will have to do.  😕  

 

I just had flashbacks to Sunday school.

 

They tried to get us all to read this book, after forcing us to watch the film version.

 

I suppose it's a touching story, but I had no appetite for going through the whole thing a second time.

 

41NmgAhBxpL.jpg 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this will definitely be something I look into, I never actually swipe cards anymore for in person stuff (Costco and Costco gas, Target, Carrs (safeway), even car service stuff), I just need to figure out what percent of transactions are in person vs online.  I kind of have a sinking feeling more of my spend is online then expected because a lot is professional fees or the like for licenses.  It will be worth me looking into at that rate of return though.  I think when I retire in 10 years or so my travel spend will go through the roof, just not there yet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wander907 said:

I think this will definitely be something I look into, I never actually swipe cards anymore for in person stuff (Costco and Costco gas, Target, Carrs (safeway), even car service stuff), I just need to figure out what percent of transactions are in person vs online.  I kind of have a sinking feeling more of my spend is online then expected because a lot is professional fees or the like for licenses.  It will be worth me looking into at that rate of return though.  I think when I retire in 10 years or so my travel spend will go through the roof, just not there yet.  

 

Retirement is good. I've been gainfully unemployed (aka retired) for almost 20 years and loving it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      180,846
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    Thiarod
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines