New Citi card payment source scare...

So in today's news, last night my citi pmt from local credit union pmt source (checking) shows my savings account nsf from citi pmt. Charged 35. I contacted citi by chat and phone to confirm correct pmt source account info was confirmed for the checking account. Hope it clears up on Monday.  I'll see what the credit union says at that time, closed on weekends. Certainly don't want penalty apr , late pmt etc. Due date not till 5/10.  I put money in the savings account just in case citi tries it again 😕

Nervous!

I take it you have both checking and savings accounts setup in your Citi account?

Since you confirmed the correct funding source with Citi, I'm wondering if a glitch  happened on the credit union side. This could happen with any financial institution, but personal bias thinks the credit union fooked up. Credit Unions IME are more prone to shenanigans than traditional banks.

Keep us posted on what the CU says.

23 hours ago, DebtFreeIn04 said:

I only have CC account with citi. I'll no more Monday 

I believe @TheVig was asking if you had designated both your CU checking and savings accounts as payment accounts within your Citi CC payment options.

As Vig and @cv91915 suggest, it seems likely that this was a glitch for which the CU was responsible.

3 hours ago, hdporter said:

I believe @TheVig was asking if you had designated both your CU checking and savings accounts as payment accounts within your Citi CC payment options.

As Vig and @cv91915 suggest, it seems likely that this was a glitch for which the CU was responsible.

Ahhh! Nope just the CU checking 

3 hours ago, DebtFreeIn04 said:

Ahhh! Nope just the CU checking 

So you specified your CU checking account for the payment, but Citi hit your Citi savings account for that amount instead?

3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

So you specified your CU checking account for the payment, but Citi hit your Citi savings account for that amount instead?

Yes. and I "triple" confirmed that Citi only had the correct checking account information. 

Yes. and I "triple" confirmed that Citi only had the correct checking account information. 

Oops one sec I only have a citi cc account.  No other citi accounts.  Only payment account citi had was the credit union checking. 

Oops one sec I only have a citi cc account.  No other citi accounts.  Only payment account citi had was the credit union checking. 

Citi hit the CU's savings account 

Citi hit the CU's savings account 

Have you ever had this CU savings account saved as a payment source on your Citi credit card account?

So review this with the CU tomorrow am.  Seems more likely that it's a CU glitch; confirm with them what's happened.  Asked specifically how the account on the document that was submitted by Citi was encoded (and confirm the proper coding for your checking account, if different).

If this problem originated at the CU, ask them to reverse the o/d fee and ask Citi to resubmit.

If the problem originated with Citi, review the incorrect account encoding and ensure it's corrected before they resubmit.

So review this with the CU tomorrow am.  Seems more likely that it's a CU glitch; confirm with them what's happened.  Asked specifically how the account on the document that was submitted by Citi was encoded (and confirm the proper coding for your checking account, if different).

If this problem originated at the CU, ask them to reverse the o/d fee and ask Citi to resubmit.

If the problem originated with Citi, review the incorrect account encoding and ensure it's corrected before they resubmit.

Thanks HD. Also I piled some cash into the savings account just in case citi resubmits. And I was just thinking ...this gardening thing is really boring, waiting for the right time to get my 1st chase card...well I'm no longer bored lol. I've seen a few weirdities over the years with the local CU , couple odd charges then immediate reversals on the checking account maybe 3 of those in the last 7 years hasn't ever cost me $$$. Hopefully the CU will wrap this up tomorrow.  Have 8:30am appt.  Will keep y'all posted.

Quick update CU blames the citi pmt account, citi supervisor couldn't confirm pmt acct info except for last 5 digits, which is the same for checking and savings at the cu. The 1st 3 digits determine account type. Citi supervisor assured me the would resubmit with no adverse actions. 

Is this the first time you've paid Citi from your CU acct?  In any case, fingers crossed this corrects the problem for this payment and any future payment.

Yes. Fingers crossed...the citi supervisor was real good. 

22 hours ago, DebtFreeIn04 said:

Quick update CU blames the citi pmt account,

Ask the CU for proof that Citi hit the wrong account. 

They'll have an irrefutable record of this, and if they tell you otherwise they're either lazy, lying, or both.  

9 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Ask the CU for proof that Citi hit the wrong account. 

They'll have an irrefutable record of this, and if they tell you otherwise they're either lazy, lying, or both.  

Not the most constructive advice of the day ...

You no like CU's much do ya!? 🤣🤣🤣

That's certainly my bias...  but all joking aside, either you're lying / inept, or the CU is.  :) :lol:  

I'm putting my faith in you here.  :wave: