Sam's Club Business Mastercard - lost a whole year's worth of reward points...

I have a Sam's Club business Mastercard and I think the personal works the same way.

They give you 3% back on restaurant purchases and 5% back on gasoline. 

Up until last year, they would send you a check once a year for the rewards that accumulated and you can bring the check into any Sam's Club and either cash it or spend it at Sam's Club.  Last year they didn't send a check but added it to your card and you could essentially do the same thing.  Bring your card into Sam's Club and get the cash or spend the rewards on merchandise.

Due to the pandemic, I chose not to go to any bricks and mortar store and I figured I would get my rewards when things calm down a bit.  I called support and they advised me the 2019's rewards had to have been redeemed by December 2020.  I told them the reason why I didn't redeem the rewards earlier and no dice.  I had over $600 rewards accumulated and it's gone. 

I also advised them that I did not get anything in the mail advising of the expiration date. (I'm sure it's in fine print on something that most people never read to cover their liability, but I never saw it.) After speaking to a supervisor who said there was nothing they can do.  I decided to sock drawer the card and use another that has similar rewards but where you don't have to wait a year and can redeem them monthly.

Just thought this may spread some light on their rewards practices to other people using the Sam's Club rewards cards.  I'm sure a decent amount of rewards go unredeemed year after year due to this practice and the fact they no longer send the rewards checks in the mail.

Edited by direct

Just a couple of questions to clarify:

Did you speak to the card issuer (Synchrony) or to a Sam's Club representative?  (Because the rewards program is administered by Sam's Club, I would think this is the appropriate point of contact.  Synchrony simply arranges for the posting of rewards generated by card purchases.)

The annual check that formerly was disbursed annually was issued by Sam's Club and not Synchrony, right?

When you earned Sam's Club points each month from your Synchrony card activity, did your statement reflect an accumulation of points (for transfer to your Sam's Club membership at the close of the year) or were they effectively transferred monthly?

It's disappointing when rewards expire.

Reading that this happened at Sam's Club is no surprise.  They're definitely subprime.

I think the only card I still have with expiring rewards is my PennFedd Worthless Rewards Visa, which also happens to be the only card I've encountered with a 1/3/5X point structure that only manages to pay 1% cash back (and that's before factoring in points that expire).

Edited by cv91915
On 4/6/2021 at 10:21 AM, hdporter said:

Just a couple of questions to clarify:

Did you speak to the card issuer (Synchrony) or to a Sam's Club representative?  (Because the rewards program is administered by Sam's Club, I would think this is the appropriate point of contact.  Synchrony simply arranges for the posting of rewards generated by card purchases.)

The annual check that formerly was disbursed annually was issued by Sam's Club and not Synchrony, right?

When you earned Sam's Club points each month from your Synchrony card activity, did your statement reflect an accumulation of points (for transfer to your Sam's Club membership at the close of the year) or were they effectively transferred monthly?

I have not followed up with Sam's Club Customer Service.  My conversation thus far was with Synchrony.

Sam's Club was the issuer of the annual rewards check.

Accumulated Rewards activity does show up on the monthly statement but does not show up online when you check your account activity.  Unless I click on the PDF statement, there is nothing on line that has the accumulated points.  This is also new as the accumulated points used to show online as well.

I will follow up with Sam's Club customer service and see if they will do anything.  Thank you.

3 hours ago, direct said:

I have not followed up with Sam's Club Customer Service.  My conversation thus far was with Synchrony.

Sam's Club was the issuer of the annual rewards check.

Accumulated Rewards activity does show up on the monthly statement but does not show up online when you check your account activity.  Unless I click on the PDF statement, there is nothing on line that has the accumulated points.  This is also new as the accumulated points used to show online as well.

I will follow up with Sam's Club customer service and see if they will do anything.  Thank you.

I trust it's apparent what I'm trying to get.  Synchrony is responsible for the awarding of points and accumulation of the points until such time as they're credited to your SAM's store account.  Once SAM's has credited the points to your membership account, they're responsible for any further issues and Synchrony isn't an active partner.

Without greater specific detail, my assumption is that once the points have been credited to your SAM's membership, it's SAM's membership rules that determine at what point points lapse.

Bottom line, your call to Sam's Club should clarify who is managing your points (I still presume SC).  I would press them as to whether it's possible to reinstate points given the disruption posed by COVID.

Edited by hdporter