Decade old Mil Star Debt

I realize that this post is old, but I’m currently experiencing a similar issue. I got out of the Navy in 2012. Yet, in 2021 milstar is stating that I owe over 8 grand, and that my debt is still accruing from interest. I recently submitted the paperwork to receive a missing portion of my economic impact payment which was for my children. They garnished my entire return, so I called them. I stated that this debt was 9 years old. In response, the collector I was speaking with stated that the age of my debt didn’t matter as government debts do not expire and have no statute of limitations. I am at a loss and do not know how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated.

I got out of the Navy in 2012. Yet, in 2021 milstar is stating that I owe over 8 grand, and that my debt is still accruing from interest. I recently submitted the paperwork to receive a missing portion of my economic impact payment which was for my children. They garnished my entire return, so I called them. I stated that this debt was 9 years old. In response, the collector I was speaking with stated that the age of my debt didn’t matter as government debts do not expire and have no statute of limitations. I am at a loss and do not know how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated.

Government debt is not consumer debt.  As such, there ARE different rules which apply, including HOW they may collect and for how long.  You need to get in touch with them to figure out some manner of resolution.  It won't just go away on its own. 

If there is truly an economic hardship created, then enlist the aid of your congress-critter...it is one of the things their staffers are there to try and help cut through.