Paying off loans vs cards

I ran across a post I found interesting.  The poster was inquiring about paying off all his bills except mortgage wondering about it lowering his score.  I am curious how that worked for the original poster and all your thoughts.  I am aware paying off credit cards will do nothing so your score but possibly raise it but what about the loans?  Most referred to the cards in the comments and not the loans being paid off.  

Before I had learned that you had to have credit cards I thought paying your loans and paying them off was a good thing but when I had tanked our score (68 points) by paying off a loan early I quickly learned the difference.  Said loa was a 3 year 20K loan, paid it off in a year and a half and crap went down the tubes.  

I am in a position now to be able to pay a loan off but have just let it run (2%) so it's not costing me much but I don't want to tank my score again.  Simular situation but on a toy where before was just a personal loan.  Does the loan type make a difference?  

Here is the link to the thread I am referring to.  I appreciate all reply's.  

Many years ago, there was discussion about an open loan  placing one in a different score bucket than someone who didn't have an open loan.  I know there is also a score hit that comes from all credit cards being zero'ed, which is how AZEO came into being.  I posted within the past week or so about my recent experience with everything being at zero since it all but confirmed that the AXP charge product does NOT factor into the balance equation. 

Within a few months, I will be able to offer a similar comparison with no active loans.  However, based upon mom's score, I don't envision a substantial drop on most models.  She is also still 800+ and has had no active loans for more than a year.  She had a 0% deal on her car but got tired of making payments and the payoff for the remaining few years was not an obstacle or hardship.  Cannot say I blamed her given the lack of meaningful interest paid on savings and checking accounts...

It doesn't matter what type of installment loan you have.

I'm paying down a ~$550 mortgage until we move or 23 more years elapse, whichever comes first.

Rationale and excruciating detail here:

Edited by cv91915

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By credithoarder
      Hi All,

I have searched this board to identify a singular thread that nails down the personal experience of members who follow the AZERO but ONE credit card utilization balance strategy  Unfortunately, I have not found any expansive explanation behind who came up with this strategy, how to best implement it, and its success rate among credit card holders.

To my understanding, the gist of the AZERO but ONE strategy is to zero out the balance on all credit cards in one's profile, but carry a balance on one. I do hope I have this right, because I am trying to take put it into practice (along with great payment history and credit limits) to reach the 800+ club. 

What I am not sure about are the following:

Does the balance of the one card have a carry a statement balance (will incur an interest for non-zero APR card)? Does the balance of the one card have to carry a current card balance (money spent to-date) at the end of the closing date? Does the balance of the one card have to be < 30 %?  
      I utilize the spreadsheet from the following site to play around with the card balances - Card Utilization Calculator. Ideally, I like to keep my card utilization between 7%-10% max.  However, when I average out all my cards in the calculator, the total utilization rate naturally comes to less than %1.  At that point, I am not sure if having < 1% is considered to be so negligible to the Fico scoring system that it makes it appear that I really don't utilize my cards at all. 

As an experiment, I plan on carrying a 30% current balance on one of my cards for one billing cycle, out of 7 cards, which will bring my total utilization ratio to about 7%. 

That said, does anyone have any experience or insight to this approach they are willing to share?
    • By Menta33
      I've got Citi AA Miles card from 2019 still with same credit limit I opened with.  Denied again for CLI, reason given was:

However, I wonder if that is the full story since they have BK loss with me that is off my credit reports now?  Are they obligated to cite that in their reasons if part of their decision making process?

My inquiries on Equifax they referred to:

Feb 17, 2021 PENTAGON FCU (Denied CLI, max exposure) Feb 17, 2021 DIGITAL FEDERAL CREDIT UN (Denied card) Dec 29, 2020 CORELOGIC CREDCO CORELOGIC for BACHOMELOANSECOMMDMA (Mortgage approved) Apr 20, 2020 CREDCO/QUICKEN CREDCO/QUICKEN for QUICKEN LOANS INC Mar 07, 2020 PENTAGON FCU (Approved CLI) Mar 07, 2020 DIGITAL FEDERAL CREDIT UN (Denied card) Feb 24, 2020 CITIBANK NA CITIBANK NA (Prior Citi CLI that was denied)  
      Experian FICO: 827 (From Wells Fargo Bank)
      TransUnion FICO: 824 (From Barclays Bank)
      Equifax FICO: 770 (From DCU older version of score)

Thoughts?
    • By Missash43
      I missed a payment for a federal student loan and about a week and a half ago, it hit 7 years. Isn't it supposed to just fall off? When will that actually happen? Do I have to do something to make it fall off?

Thanks for your help!

• By racer7949
      I recently received a "score" in a letter from a financial institution. The letter revealed that the data was Equifax, but made no mention of the model, just that "Scores range from a low of 501 to a high of 990." That's an awfully high top end, could this be Vantage 4?

Of the five adverse factors listed, three were of the dunning "How dare you use your credit cards!" type, including the fact that I have too many of them. Then I got "No real estate accounts with a valid credit amount." No I don't have a mortgage; I busted my hump for 35 years to own my home free and clear and now it's a negative on my credit score. Lovely.

Then came the dreaded, infamous, Too Many Inquiries! factor; but look how they have juiced it up to sound less negative: "Number of inquiries was also a factor, but the effect was not significant."

BTW, I had one 14 month old inquiry.
    • By silentjc
      Finally posting on this forum after gawking for a while. 🙂

I've been working on my credit repair the last couple of years and am kind of at that point where I'm not sure if there is anything else I can do but wait it out.

Had a medical issue back in 2016 / 17 which contributed to somewhere around 12 account charge-offs and a car repossession. Over the past year and a half, I've been aggressively paying the accounts off (all are at zero balance, settled), disputed as many as I could (several fell off, am doing another round this month), opened five rebuilder / secured / sub prime cards starting two years ago (Citi Secured, Self Secured, Cap 1 Secured, Cap 1 Unsecured, Credit One Unsecured), did the Self Lending self loan (like 6 months left on that one), Experian Boost, have had a high interest car loan the last two years, am about to replace it with a newer car loan at a lower rate, and obviously keep cards paid off every month and paid on time (*accidentally had a 30 day late when I was changing banks and forgot to update the account that was on autopay). 

Looks like stuff starts aging off in 2023 and 2025. Scores went from the low 500s to 696 Trans, 712 Equifax, 625 Experian.

The problem I'm having is that even with everything settled, zero balances, and "good" scores," I'm still in purgatory when it comes to getting an actual decent points card. Capital One gave me an unsecured one a few months ago, but it's a $300 limit on a non rewards card. And since I already have two cards with them (one which is my oldest card now), even though their my "best bet" in the nearterm for a better card, i'm at their card limit. 

Goal Cards in the future are Chase Sapphire, AMEX Blue, AMEX Gold, and Citi Premier. 

Current plan is to just keep sending dispute rounds every few months, keep balances at zero, not apply for anything new at least until early 2022. 

Is there anything I'm missing? Anything I can do sooner to help compensate for the scars from the past on my credit report?

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    SimplyTrina

Important Information

Guidelines