Best new card for $10k purchase?

Newguy00

I may be making a few big purchases this summer.   New riding lawnmower,  lots of landscaping materials,  and others.    Ranging from 2 thousand to around 10k for one item.

I figured it might be worth checking out current promotions for initial spend.    

My current cards are Amex (blue?) 35k,  Discover 30k+, Capital One, 30k,  Barclay ring 20k+, citi. Simplicity 12k, Chase saphire 20k, and a 10k wells Fargo that won't grow. 

I'd focus on hitting minimum spending for as many sign-up bonuses as you can get.

US Bank Altitude (if you travel) - $750 in travel (net $75 AF)

The credit card blogs are full of summaries of the best SUBs at any given point.  Unless you are trying to fill a hole in your long-term card portfolio, just pick the ones with the highest SUBs for the last upfront spending.  You can always close them a year later.

Yeah i may have to look at apping more than one.  I don't read any of the credit blogs.   Just here.    I just wanted to stay away from any with small opening lines.    Unless it has an outrageous yearly fee i probably won't close any. 

4 hours ago, Newguy00 said:

Yeah i may have to look at apping more than one.  I don't read any of the credit blogs.   Just here.    I just wanted to stay away from any with small opening lines.    Unless it has an outrageous yearly fee i probably won't close any. 

"Credit card blogs," not credit blogs.

Available sign-up bonuses change all the time.  Most of us don't keep track of the top 10 (or even top 2 or 3) offers at any given time, because the only thing that matters is what the most lucrative offers are at the precise moment you want to apply.

Most sign-up bonuses require spending $X in the first 90 days of account opening.  If you have purchases planned for the summer, now it probably too early to apply anyway.

Beyond the SUB, you also want to look for something that offers a zero or low APR for the first year or year and a half unless you were in a position to where you expected to pay things off in the first month.  Getting a good SUB but then being stuck with paying interest would sort of negate the SUB on many cards...

5 hours ago, cv91915 said:

"Credit card blogs," not credit blogs.

Available sign-up bonuses change all the time.  Most of us don't keep track of the top 10 (or even top 2 or 3) offers at any given time, because the only thing that matters is what the most lucrative offers are at the precise moment you want to apply.

Most sign-up bonuses require spending $X in the first 90 days of account opening.  If you have purchases planned for the summer, now it probably too early to apply anyway.

I'm going to start making some of the purchases in a week or two and then into summer. 

3 hours ago, centex said:

Beyond the SUB, you also want to look for something that offers a zero or low APR for the first year or year and a half unless you were in a position to where you expected to pay things off in the first month.  Getting a good SUB but then being stuck with paying interest would sort of negate the SUB on many cards...

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to a 0% for 12 e.t.c.    but I planned on paying as I make the transactions. 

3 hours ago, Newguy00 said:

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to a 0% for 12 e.t.c.    but I planned on paying as I make the transactions. 

Just wanted to make sure every major component of the process was on the table ;)

More than once, we have seen people look only at one part and ignore the most important piece of the equation- payment.

By example, I didn't have any major purchases coming up, but I might in the next year and a half.  As such, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Citi Diamond offer with a year and a half of 0%.  Better to have it and not need it than to want it and not be able to get it if conditions change...