is the amex prequalifed offer a certainty?

luckydriver

check out this pre-qualified offer!

Even better, the Card you've matched with has exceptional perks so don't wait.

under the comment above it says plantinum/blue cash preferred/ amex everyday

IIB amex in 2005 and had 2nd bk in 2014. and ive always read you are blacklisted forever. so does prequalified really mean id get one of those? i sure dont need a 550 a year card but its nice to know if i can get it :)

Amex "pre-qualified" means next to nothing, other than they've confirmed that you're most likely a living body.  If you're blacklisted and respond to the offer, it's almost a certainty that you'll be denied (typically without them doing a hard pull, although there are exceptions).

If you're keen to get back in with Amex, volunteer to repay your IIB.  There's a decent chance they'll eventually let you in via the Optima Oasis program.

If you Bk'ed them in 2005, they have loosened up some on the blacklist and allowed former members to return if AMEX wasn't out too much. The second Bk in 2014 tends to cloud the issue, especially for a Platinum card. 

Repayment of debt discharged in Bk is a no-no under the Federal Bankruptcy code. 

11 hours ago, insolent1 said:

Repayment of debt discharged in Bk is a no-no under the Federal Bankruptcy code. 

I'm an admitted novice when it comes to the ins and outs of bankruptcy law (fortunately ...).  However, I came across the following citation:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/11/524

The Bankruptcy Code provides, “Nothing contained in. . . this section prevents a debtor from voluntarily repaying any debt.” 11 U.S.C. § 524(f).

That's consistent with my casual understanding.  No creditor may seek to collect in any manner on a debt that's been discharged; however, there's no impediment to a discharged debt being repaid voluntarily.

Further, any voluntary payment toward a discharged debt (or acknowledgement of the former debt) doesn't create a new obligation with respect to that debt.

Generally speaking the charge cards are considered easier approvals than revolvers, and within the charge card family, the higher AF cards just have more benefits included.  

Amex isn't any more or less selective with approvals based on the color of the charge card.

On 3/11/2021 at 5:27 PM, luckydriver said:

check out this pre-qualified offer!

Even better, the Card you've matched with has exceptional perks so don't wait.

under the comment above it says plantinum/blue cash preferred/ amex everyday

IIB amex in 2005 and had 2nd bk in 2014. and ive always read you are blacklisted forever. so does prequalified really mean id get one of those? i sure dont need a 550 a year card but its nice to know if i can get it :)

No, it is not a guarantee.  I have been on the BL for over 15 years.  I have gotten "pre-approved" in the past only to be subsequently denied for prior relationship (BL).

Both "pre-qualified" and "pre-approved" doesn't guarantee you get the card or credit. I sometimes get a postcard from a credit union I belong to in the San Fernando Valley that I've been "pre-approved" for a $50,000 automobile loan. That doesn't mean I can immediately head down to the Tesla dealer, buy the Tesla on the spot with this offer, then immediately push the Tesla off a cliff.

https://www.creditkarma.com/advice/i/preapproved-vs-prequalified#:~:text=To get preapproval or prequalification,to provide certain financial information.&text=Being prequalified or preapproved isn,receive an official loan offer.