Darn it but I used to love Fry's. It was a place to fill my geeky needs and would shop there once a week. I was in Heaven when they opened the San Diego store and later the San Marcos store. When I had to pick up some odd resistors, routers, network switches, CPUs, or anything techie it was the goto place. Then I noticed I hadn't been there in months. Then years.  And when I last went there 3 years ago it was nearly empty.  Geeky shopping has migrated to online, rapid delivery. Similar thing happened with the old hobby Computer stores in the 80's. Gone in the 90's.

Such is the life cycle of niche businesses.

:(

The 60" plasma TV I bought at the Fry's in Mission Valley is here in our TV room now ~2,000 miles away.

The only other TV we have is in our master bedroom in California.  It was purchased at Circuit City (RIP) in Point Loma, which is now a HomeGoods.

We obviously don't buy a lot of TVs.  To be honest, I can't remember the last time either was used.  They may not even work.

The best camera I've ever owned I bought a Circuit City in Clairemont. Fry's shutting its doors is very sad, especially for my DH. I hated breaking the news to him. He forgot all about his ongoing pain and had a blast geeking out there.

Frys filled that niche vacated by Radio Shack when they ceased to be the Radio Shack I grew up with...hours could be killed just roaming some of those aisles with the resisters and cords and other bits and pieces. 

And while the announcement and ensuing shutting of doors appears to have been about two minutes apart, it sounds as though they were dying on the vine long before the events of the past year.  I got to exercising brain cells and realized it was probably three years ago that I was in a Frys and it was horrendous THEN.  It was an absolute shell of the chain I first encountered in Austin in the late 90's...

One of the other things I liked about them was their efforts to craft some creative architecture that was often related to the area where the store was located.  In some respects, it was like the old Best Products locations...

22 hours ago, centex said:

Frys filled that niche vacated by Radio Shack when they ceased to be the Radio Shack I grew up with...hours could be killed just roaming some of those aisles with the resisters and cords and other bits and pieces. 

I worked at RS in the 90s and it was a commissioned sales job...the people you describe were the absolute worst customers from our perspective...they would take a shitload of your time just to buy $7.43 worth of parts and you would make $0.45 on the sale.

I went into a Fry's once, it was 3 years ago or so to get a new monitor.  I only went there because they had it in stock and was similarly priced as Amazon.  I didn't find anything particularly appealing about the store, very cluttered.    

4 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

I worked at RS in the 90s and it was a commissioned sales job...the people you describe were the absolute worst customers from our perspective...they would take a shitload of your time just to buy $7.43 worth of parts and you would make $0.45 on the sale.

I went into a Fry's once, it was 3 years ago or so to get a new monitor.  I only went there because they had it in stock and was similarly priced as Amazon.  I didn't find anything particularly appealing about the store, very cluttered.    

They shouldn't have required much time at all...I know when I would go to look, I just wanted to be left alone and if I had a question, I would find someone. 

Sadly, without those sorts of stores, we are destined to have to scrounge the darkest corners of the web to keep things running.  I hate the disposable mindset so many have with electronics.

Many years ago, I was doing coursework in seismology and I needed a high end calculator. The school bookstore prices were ridiculous and they only ordered a few each semester. A few miles away from campus was a Fry's Electronics, so I headed over there to buy a H-P 50G. 

Yes, they had the calculator and it was at a reasonable price, but I could not get an employee to retrieve one for me. I asked two employees and neither would get one for me.

I ended up getting one at Circuit City.

Never again, Fry's.

Fry's has been dead for a few years.  They just finally became the ultimate dead.  If one needs electronic components, at least near me there's still All Electronics in Van Nuys.  You can order from them online.  Actually the walk-in store has been closed due to COVID-19, but at least they didn't go the way as Fry's.