Hi everyone. 
I just have a question on deciding if I should pay this in full or over the next few month.

I had to file chapter 13 in 2015. 
I’ve been rebuilding since discharged in June 2019. I’ve done really good with CC’s since then. I was approved for 3k with PayPal credit. I only use it for purchases over 100 so I can get 0% for 6 months. I owe $1300 on it now. (Christmas) It will be interest free until June. 
I needed a an installment loan so I got $3600 via Upstart. I refused more because I just need the trade line. 
My question is do I just pay $350 over the next few months and put the money in savings or go ahead and just pay it in full? 
The total credit lines for Credit cards including the PayPal is $8750 

I owe less than $1400 total. 
I’m going to let them draft the payment for the loan monthly and then just pay it in full at 13 months. 
That’s my plan and it makes sense in my head. I just don’t know what to do about the Paypal account. Pay in full now or wait and get the extra interest from savings account. 

any advice? I over think everything. 

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin:  Pam, MarvBear, radi8, LKH & 😇breeze😇

How much juice will it cost you to keep the loan to expiration?  Never (well almost never) pay interest for a tradeline.  You want them to be as painless as possible.  Loans do not add much to the credit score which is why so little is lost when the balance goes to zero...

To go for the entire length, right at $650. That’s the main reason I want a positive 12 month history and then paying it off. I don’t mind paying a little because I did mess up but not paying the entire interest. Once the BK falls off, if all of my math is correct, I should be sitting right at an 800 score. I’m at 679 now. 

When your reports are otherwise perfect, it's absolutely NOT necessary to have an installment loan in order to have super-prime FICO scores (but that doesn't stop some of us from having an unnecessary $2.80 mortgage payment anyway).

Until your BK falls off, though (< 2 years), whatever you can do to buoy your score will help with other approvals (noting, of course, that approvals aren't solely score-driven).

13 hours ago, Racheljp3 said:

$650.

How far past the BK dropping does the loan term extend?  And is this the total interest you'll pay, or the sum of the scheduled payments?

The metric that would be important to me is the interest that will be due between now and when the BK falls off.

I’m paying the loan off in March of next year. I wanted to have 12 months of positive installment payments reported post BK.  

I’m just trying to weigh the pro’s and cons of paying off the PayPal balance now vs paying it off over several months. 

The BK falls off in 10/2022 and all accounts included will be off by then. 

11 hours ago, cv91915 said:

When your reports are otherwise perfect, it's absolutely NOT necessary to have an installment loan in order to have super-prime FICO scores (but that doesn't stop some of us from having an unnecessary $2.80 mortgage payment anyway).

Until your BK falls off, though (< 2 years), whatever you can do to buoy your score will help with other approvals (noting, of course, that approvals aren't solely score-driven).

How far past the BK dropping does the loan term extend?  And is this the total interest you'll pay, or the sum of the scheduled payments?

The metric that would be important to me is the interest that will be due between now and when the BK falls off.

The loan goes right at 2 years past the BK drop and that is the total interest for the loan.

I’m not planning on opening up anything else. The only other think that I plan to do it become an AU on a Chase freedom card. It’s been open for 15 years, 35k limit, low utilization. 
Once everything falls off, I am planning to get a higher rewards CC for my everyday card. Who knows what kinds of cards will be out at the end of next year. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 10:28 AM, centex said:

Loans do not add much to the credit score which is why so little is lost when the balance goes to zero...

I've been curious about this. I have a paid car note and a paid credit builder loan that are both now closed. I've had a couple of CLI denials which mention "no installment accounts" as a factor. Am I to assume that only open installment loans are beneficial? Thanks. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By silentjc
      Finally posting on this forum after gawking for a while. 🙂

I've been working on my credit repair the last couple of years and am kind of at that point where I'm not sure if there is anything else I can do but wait it out.

Had a medical issue back in 2016 / 17 which contributed to somewhere around 12 account charge-offs and a car repossession. Over the past year and a half, I've been aggressively paying the accounts off (all are at zero balance, settled), disputed as many as I could (several fell off, am doing another round this month), opened five rebuilder / secured / sub prime cards starting two years ago (Citi Secured, Self Secured, Cap 1 Secured, Cap 1 Unsecured, Credit One Unsecured), did the Self Lending self loan (like 6 months left on that one), Experian Boost, have had a high interest car loan the last two years, am about to replace it with a newer car loan at a lower rate, and obviously keep cards paid off every month and paid on time (*accidentally had a 30 day late when I was changing banks and forgot to update the account that was on autopay). 

Looks like stuff starts aging off in 2023 and 2025. Scores went from the low 500s to 696 Trans, 712 Equifax, 625 Experian.

The problem I'm having is that even with everything settled, zero balances, and "good" scores," I'm still in purgatory when it comes to getting an actual decent points card. Capital One gave me an unsecured one a few months ago, but it's a $300 limit on a non rewards card. And since I already have two cards with them (one which is my oldest card now), even though their my "best bet" in the nearterm for a better card, i'm at their card limit. 

Goal Cards in the future are Chase Sapphire, AMEX Blue, AMEX Gold, and Citi Premier. 

Current plan is to just keep sending dispute rounds every few months, keep balances at zero, not apply for anything new at least until early 2022. 

Is there anything I'm missing? Anything I can do sooner to help compensate for the scars from the past on my credit report?
    • By Abaliyah1
      Hello ,
      I am in debt about 80k i was offered a debt relief program but iam skepitcal...
      Can i call and negotiate myself the small debt then the big ones ??
      Please help 
    • By BigSpenderBigSaver
      Hello all. The title says just about everything. Is it known whether or not AMEX holds closed accounts against you when opening new ones?

I had three (3) AMEX accounts, none of them were Gold. I entered all three in a DMP (I wanted to keep one open, but the DMP told me not to or else lenders may not accept the plan). I just paid off all three well ahead of the end of the DMP end date. To my knowledge, I have not be subject to an F/R.

FICO scores as follows:
      EX 713
      TU 717
      EQ 701

I was approved for the CSP yesterday (7/23/21) so I will have a new account lowering my AAoA. I not looking to apply for the AMEX Gold for a few months (depending on your feedback).

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • By californiadreamin
      I haven’t logged on in a bit, but I’ve been gardening and bringing up my score after my BK discharge in 2019. I applied for a Lowe’s account and got a 7-10 day message with a reference number. I noticed that my credit was not pulled. When I called them, the overseas customer service rep transferred me back to a stateside fraud analyst. They made me go through some website to record myself for five seconds and the take pictures of my drivers license. After that, the verification website instructed me to call in with a passcode. I called back in and the woman put me on hold. While on hold, I got notification that my credit was pulled and then she comes back on the line and says “Congratulations” and provided me with my credit limit. I forgot the exact amount, but it has a weird limit ending that ended in 37. It was under 5k and was something like $4,537 or $4,837. I was thrown off by the last two number as I’m used to it being 00. 

1) Has anyone gotten a seemingly random credit limit with Lowe’s (Synchrony)?

2) Has anyone gone through that verification process before?

it’s been about 18 months since I applied for a credit card and this is my first store card (other than Kohl’s since I shop there for work clothes). Feeling out of the loop all of a sudden. Lol
    • By MBgratitude
      Hello,

Does anyone know either by experience or with a good degree of certainty if American Express (AMEX) will decline card membership if you have ever filed bankruptcy against them? I have read somewhere that they keep a permanent “barred from membership list”.

Is this right, no. However, as you probably know a financial institution may choose to do business with whomever they choose (a rather broad definition). I have read that even if an American Express account has been fully-discharged by a successfully complete bankruptcy case, they will no longer choose to do business with you.

The reason I am asking is twenty years ago, I listed them as a creditor in my Chapter 7 bankruptcy case. I would like to apply for membership in the future when my current FICO is a bit stronger. However, I do not want to burn a hard-inquiry only for it to be declined.

I apologize if I am not posting in the correct area. Thank you.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ahoganstill

Important Information

Guidelines