CapOne Missed Annual fees late payments

So I have a couple of credit cards with annual fees from CapOne.  I don't use them and they had 0 balances. Unfortunately, I missed the annual fee payment on both of them by like 5 months. Both were reported late to the CRAs and my credit score has tanked. CapOne Closed one account with a negative balance and it won't let me pay anything. The other is still open. The only charges on these accounts were annual fees, not actual credit. What is the best way to proceed here?

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks. 

Your best bet is probably going to be reaching out to the Capital One Executive Office to see if they're willing to do anything.

It's a long shot.  

My intent isn't to be sarcastic, but it will help if you have a plausible explanation for how you managed to ignore several consecutive statements on both of your cards.

As CV said, you don't really have any recourse here other than contacting the EO and asking for a goodwill removal of the lates.  Unfortunately not much else you can do at this point.  If there is another issue/inaccuracy with the reporting you can dispute on that and maybe get the tradeline removed, but that is an even longer shot.

One thing you can do is set yourself up some reminder system, auto payments or something similar to ensure it doesn't happen again.

For others coming along later...this is yet another reason why I am a big proponent of spreadsheets where you manually check each and every card AT LEAST once per month.  I use the excel sheet for other pertinent data, including when certain events have taken place like a CLI or when a BT offer expires...

Nobody should ever be getting surprised months after something posts...not even though who only get online statements.

3 hours ago, centex said:

For others coming along later...this is yet another reason why I am a big proponent of spreadsheets where you manually check each and every card AT LEAST once per month.  I use the excel sheet for other pertinent data, including when certain events have taken place like a CLI or when a BT offer expires...

Nobody should ever be getting surprised months after something posts...not even though who only get online statements.

This is definitely important advice.

When I check my spreadsheet and find that something needs to happen but I don't want to do it right away, I also put an entry in my calendar.