Covid-19 Second Dose Reaction

Weird thing when I got the second dose I never felt the needle touch my skin. Afterwards that day I worried a little whether I even received the vaccine. It wasn't until the next day when I experienced some mild symptoms that I felt relieved.

• Admin

Had my first dose Tuesday afternoon.  I had to drive myself.  My arm is still sore and when I got home, I just barely made it up the first-floor stairs to the main floor.  I slept for most of the day and went to bed around 6 p.m.   Today isn't much better.   I don't know if it makes a difference, but I got the moderna vaccine.

3 hours ago, MarvBear said:

Had my first dose Tuesday afternoon.  I had to drive myself.  My arm is still sore and when I got home, I just barely made it up the first-floor stairs to the main floor.  I slept for most of the day and went to bed around 6 p.m.   Today isn't much better.   I don't know if it makes a difference, but I got the moderna vaccine.

Well according to the informational handout I received, the list of more severe side effects that requires medical care are:

1. Difficulty breathing

2. Swelling of the face and throat

3. A fast heartbeat

4. A bad rash all over the body

5. Dizziness and weakness

@MarvBear were you just feeling real tired after the vaccine walking up the stairs?

• Admin
2 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

Well according to the informational handout I received, the list of more severe side effects that requires medical care are:

1. Difficulty breathing

2. Swelling of the face and throat

3. A fast heartbeat

4. A bad rash all over the body

5. Dizziness and weakness

@MarvBear were you just feeling real tired after the vaccine walking up the stairs?

No,  Not just real tired, physically exhausted, with difficulty breathing combined with dizziness and weakness.  I'm monitoring it though.  Oximeter in the low 90's, with pulse normal. Some of this if from having COPD though.   I'll get by.

10 hours ago, MarvBear said:

No,  Not just real tired, physically exhausted, with difficulty breathing combined with dizziness and weakness.  I'm monitoring it though.  Oximeter in the low 90's, with pulse normal. Some of this if from having COPD though.   I'll get by.

Hope the blood oxygen goes up. Not to be so nosey but it sounds like you could use some added oxygen. I'm sure you already know but please consult your doctor if no improvement. I care about your welfare and be interested if your doctor suggests the 2nd dose of vaccine. Take good care.

6 hours ago, centex said:

Of those I know who have had the second shot, most reported worse effects after the second one, with the symptoms basically sounding like early-onset flu. 

That's what I understand a well. I got the first Pfizer 6 days ago. Arm hurt a bit starting 8 hours that lasted 24 hours. Just a bit sore.  Pretty typical and similar to flu vaccines. I skipped the flu vaccine this year based on it's extremely low prevalence. NPIs pretty much everywhere really knocked out flu. Virtually non-existent in the Southern hemisphere during the summer - their flu season. This was to be expected given the flu's low R naught.

On the positive side new data shows the  Pfizer shot efficacy is in the 80% range 14 days after the first shot.

On 2/18/2021 at 5:43 AM, MarvBear said:

Hope you're feeling a bit better Marv.

I was able to get my first round of the vaccine yesterday and was given the Moderna variant.  No after effects except a sore arm at the injection site.  No complaints here.  My biggest shock was how well run the process was (at the site) given it is being done by the local health department.  Once the doors opened, I was in and out in under 30 minutes including time waiting for the shot and hanging around for 10 min afterwards to make sure I didn't have a major side effect.

There were stories on the local news about people having issues getting their second doses...hopefully they have that squared away by the time I am due at the end of this month.

Starting to hear more reports that those who have a reaction after the first shot tend to be more likely to have already had the 'rona while those who have a worse reaction on the second shot are those who had no prior exposure to the 'rona. 

Don't know if there is enough of a sample size for the powers that be to opine one way or the other, but it sort of makes sense...

6 hours ago, centex said:

Starting to hear more reports that those who have a reaction after the first shot tend to be more likely to have already had the 'rona while those who have a worse reaction on the second shot are those who had no prior exposure to the 'rona. 

Don't know if there is enough of a sample size for the powers that be to opine one way or the other, but it sort of makes sense...

I haven't heard that but it's a reasonable hypothesis.

On 3/8/2021 at 9:49 AM, centex said:

Here is an interesting read about it.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/youre-more-likely-vaccine-side-172459706.html

I got my first dost of Pfizer on Tuesday  evening. Wednesday I felt tired and took a nap while the short hurt like Flue shot. But Thursday things got back to normal and feel like nothing happened.

2nd shot is scheduled for Mar 30th.

************ Rant warning ***************

My 73-year-old father hasn't been able to get a second dose in California.

It took me about three weeks to find his first appointment (eventually at a private pharmacy), after giving up on version 1 of the San Diego County web site that required you to enter your name and all of your contact info, and then answer a litany of health questions, before it presented you with a page that tells you there are no appointments available.  I repeated this exasperating process at least 50 times for Mom and 50 times for Dad.

I finally got an appointment through the Vons web site for his first dose at a Vons pharmacy in the middle of nowhere, where he got his first shot and made an appointment for his second one, which was supposed to be last week.

Then due to distribution problems, Vons canceled his second appointment until further notice.  As of two days ago he was told that they are only getting 10 doses a day and there are 350 people ahead of him on the list.  At this rate, the window for getting the second dose will have closed by the time he'd be able to get an appointment.

No one, including the San Diego County Health Department, was willing to administer his second shot because they didn't administer the first.  And SD County has no suggestions on how to help.  Mom's called 211 on two occasions, and they also have zero idea about anything, other than being absolutely sure they can't do anything for him because the first dose didn't come from the County.

Finally, a dear neighbor of theirs found a location 75 miles away that will give him a second dose, so my parents are driving up this afternoon for a 6 pm appointment and then driving 75 miles back home in the dark, much of the way on roads they rarely frequent.

I mentioned my 50 tries to get Mom her appointments, and once I was finally able to book hers, everything went as planned.  But, of course, the system in place does not support the ability for couples to make simultaneous appointments, so we had to go on two separate hunting expeditions to get both of my parents vaccinated.

Meanwhile, here in Mudland, where a handful of things actually work, they're vaccinating everyone 40 and up.  I booked my appointment online the same day I became eligible, and yesterday I was in/out in 20 minutes with my first shot.

• Admin

My arm feels like a major league baseball player just hit me like a home-run.  Plus I have the rashes that itch way bad.  I sleep most of the time,  LOL I had to go downstairs to check the salt delivery and after walking up one flight to the main level, I was so exhausted I needed a couple hour nap.

On 3/19/2021 at 5:33 AM, StarkRaven$ said:

Family member in CO was holding out for the single dose Johnson and Johnson vaccine. I finally found a pharmacy offering it so yesterday my brother got the J&J vaccine. No side effect reaction yesterday but may feel it today.

I just had some soreness near the injection spot when I got the J&J vax.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:29 AM, cv91915 said:

Meanwhile, here in Mudland, where a handful of things actually work, they're vaccinating everyone 40 and up.  I booked my appointment online the same day I became eligible, and yesterday I was in/out in 20 minutes with my first shot.

We just went to age 45 and older. Chatter suggests we might go "all adults" on or around May 1st. Most of the mass vax events here like the one at the Speedway used the J&J vax so its one-and-done.

On 3/19/2021 at 8:29 AM, cv91915 said:

My 73-year-old father hasn't been able to get a second dose in California.

It took me about three weeks to find his first appointment (eventually at a private pharmacy), after giving up on version 1 of the San Diego County web site that required you to enter your name and all of your contact info, and then answer a litany of health questions, before it presented you with a page that tells you there are no appointments available.  I repeated this exasperating process at least 50 times for Mom and 50 times for Dad.

I finally got an appointment through the Vons web site for his first dose at a Vons pharmacy in the middle of nowhere, where he got his first shot and made an appointment for his second one, which was supposed to be last week.

Then due to distribution problems, Vons canceled his second appointment until further notice.  As of two days ago he was told that they are only getting 10 doses a day and there are 350 people ahead of him on the list.  At this rate, the window for getting the second dose will have closed by the time he'd be able to get an appointment.

No one, including the San Diego County Health Department, was willing to administer his second shot because they didn't administer the first.  And SD County has no suggestions on how to help.  Mom's called 211 on two occasions, and they also have zero idea about anything, other than being absolutely sure they can't do anything for him because the first dose didn't come from the County.

Finally, a dear neighbor of theirs found a location 75 miles away that will give him a second dose, so my parents are driving up this afternoon for a 6 pm appointment and then driving 75 miles back home in the dark, much of the way on roads they rarely frequent.

I mentioned my 50 tries to get Mom her appointments, and once I was finally able to book hers, everything went as planned.  But, of course, the system in place does not support the ability for couples to make simultaneous appointments, so we had to go on two separate hunting expeditions to get both of my parents vaccinated.

So did your parents finally get their second dose vaccine? Hope they are safely home.