Sending your driver license as supporting documents?

Please excuse my ignorance but correct me in the process. 

Isn’t this showing the credit bureaus “look here’s my signature” which results in signature comparison?

Obviously none of us here has worked for a credit bureau. How do we know that the credit bureau won’t save your driver license picture and compare for verification purposes at any given time?

11 hours ago, Killbadcredit said:

Isn’t this showing the credit bureaus “look here’s my signature” which results in signature comparison?

Obviously none of us here has worked for a credit bureau. How do we know that the credit bureau won’t save your driver license picture and compare for verification purposes at any given time?

Any information you supply an agency is open to misuse by that agency or an employee.  That's why it's important to be circumspect anytime you provide such information and assess whether that information is truly required for the stated purpose.

As @cv91915 notes, the CRA's are required to confirm identity.  It's easy to conceive that, at times, provision of a copy of a government issued id would be required.  Faced with a legitimate request, the onus is on you whether you with to comply (acknowledging any risks in doing so), or dispense with your initiating request.

• Admin
12 hours ago, Killbadcredit said:

How do we know that the credit bureau won’t save your driver license picture

You can bet the last dollar you own that the information you provide is scanned into their database and saved.  Their job is to verify your identity when you initiate an investigation, not to verify signature, which task would belong to the creditor with which the dispute is forwarded the dispute for resolution via E-Oscar.

21 hours ago, Killbadcredit said:

Thanks for verifying this, so what is recommended to send as proof of identity and address that doesn’t have your signature?

I don't think it was anyone's intent to have you leave the thread with this question (at least it was not my intent).  

What exactly are you fearing about providing an ID that includes your signature?  

I am not trying to sound smart ass or anything my friend, but let’s look at what them having your signature can do.

Well, for starters driver license numbers if it lands in the wrong hands can hurt you.  Fraud, incase it was to get lost. 

I don’t want them to have my signature because then they can compare signature when I dispute items, which defeats the purpose of disputing. 

16 hours ago, Killbadcredit said:

I am not trying to sound smart ass or anything my friend, but let’s look at what them having your signature can do.

Well, for starters driver license numbers if it lands in the wrong hands can hurt you.  Fraud, incase it was to get lost. 

I don’t want them to have my signature because then they can compare signature when I dispute items, which defeats the purpose of disputing. 

So you're afraid that they'll be able to confirm that a future dispute is legitimate?  

That would be a desired outcome.

• Admin

from Equifax

If you are writing to request assistance regarding your Equifax credit report (i.e., dispute, fraud alert, security freeze, a copy of your credit report), please also include a copy of a document from each of the two categories below:
One item to validate ID such as:

Valid driver's license
Social Security card
Pay stub
W2 form
1099 form
Court documents for legal name change
Birth certificate
Passport
Marriage certificate
Divorce decree
State ID
Military ID

AND one item to validate address such as:

Valid driver's license
Utility bill with the correct address (gas, water, cable, residential phone bill)
Cell phone bill
Pay stub
W2 form
1099 form
Rental lease agreement/house deed
Mortgage statement
Bank statement
State ID

Please note, when you provide documents, including a letter, to Equifax as part of your dispute, the documents may be submitted to one or more companies whose information are the subject of your dispute.

Well then, send one item from each of the two categories that doesn't have a signature.   Your problem would be solved.

Considering how few people disputing items TODAY actually have a hard-copy of a contract forming the basis of the agreement between parties, this seems to be a misplaced and paranoid fear, especially when you take into account how few people have a digital signature that looks remotely like an actual pen-to-paper signature. 

Don't be paranoid.

6 hours ago, Killbadcredit said:

cV91915, see your point, didn’t see that before. Thanks for replying.

Marv, Thanks for your help.

Centex, Good point also.

Like I said I don’t want to make mistakes that why I ask first.

Thanks everyone I thank you.

Always better to ask if you're unsure.  :) 

4 hours ago, centex said:

Subject to certain attestations about purpose, yes...most States make the information available.  It is not always EASILY available, but the DL information is often available.

Ahhh okay, cool. I learn something new every day!

• Admin
2 hours ago, Killbadcredit said:

I’m lost on the conversation above, can someone educate me please. Thank you 

Killer, not to worry, it's Joe, aka Lander our old nemesis trying to wreak havoc on our forums.  If you see any of his posts, I recommend they be ignored.

• 2 weeks later...

when dealing with any entity that you supply information to that you do NOT want used in any way except as intended add a statement such as "I am supplying this (insert doc name here) to you as requested to be used for (insert purpose here) only.  Any other use is not authorized by me at this time.  Should you need to use this information for any other purpose except as intended here please notify me in writing at my designated address which is (insert address here)  immediately prior to it's use. "   Sign your name

That’s good to know, this topic isn’t talked as much in my opinion.

Also when you send your driver license and social card it could get lost and wind up in the wrong hands.

Next thing you know someone has your info with your signature.

Can we block our signature if we send our social security card as proof? 

3 hours ago, Killbadcredit said:

That’s good to know, this topic isn’t talked as much in my opinion.

Also when you send your driver license and social card it could get lost and wind up in the wrong hands.

Next thing you know someone has your info with your signature.

Can we block our signature if we send our social security card as proof? 

I'll simply note that between my wife and myself, we've encountered fraudulent use of our cards a couple of times each over the year.  The accuracy of the signature involved was NEVER a factor.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 7:29 PM, Killbadcredit said:

When I sent my DL info to Lexis Nexis to request my full file disclosure, they required my DL but I made sure I blacked out the signature line. So Im sure you could send it without the signature line, they dont need it anyway.