Collections has started

Hi, I've gone into a bit of credit card debt that I cannot pay. 4 separate cards totalling around 25k. Amex has just emailed me saying that my account has been transferred to Zwicker & Associates for collections. I have basically no assets, just a cheap old car and household items. I moved out of the country a year ago and unfortunately have had trouble with work due to Covid and starting over here, so I ran up my credit cards. How should I respond to the coming collection letters and what are my options from here? Thanks so much.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:21 AM, Ilcasdy said:

Hi, I've gone into a bit of credit card debt that I cannot pay. 4 separate cards totalling around 25k. Amex has just emailed me saying that my account has been transferred to Zwicker & Associates for collections. I have basically no assets, just a cheap old car and household items. I moved out of the country a year ago and unfortunately have had trouble with work due to Covid and starting over here, so I ran up my credit cards. How should I respond to the coming collection letters and what are my options from here? Thanks so much.

The question is are you planning on coming back? if not as long as you don't have US based bank accounts or investment accounts, nothing they can really do unless you work for an American company that gets paychecks from the states.  They may try to place a lien on your cheap old car which i doubt is a huge worry. So you should be safe, not much they can do for credit card debt. It's not like Korea where they literally come and take your household items.

The court cannot force you to pay credit card debt if you're living overseas, but creditors can go after any money you leave behind in a checking, savings, or investment account. And if you continue working for a U.S.-based employer, they can garnish your wages

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By NewlySeperate
      I’m newly separated and I’m trying to re-establish my credit and financial independence.  There are 4 collections on my credit report that my husband was responsible for when we were together in 2020.  We both had extensive blood work done by a lab of which he was paying. We separated and he has not been paying so it went to collections and showed up on my report. 

I just disputed them online a few days ago and am waiting to see if they are removed. It has my name and not his. Is it even conceivable they will be deleted?  My score is in the 500 range right now. I don’t have much credit but want to repair and build.
    • By CandiedCredit
      Hi Everyone, I have been at war with the big 3 for a few months now. I have had success with equifax and Transunion removing old addresses. However Experian just will not budge. Ive tried letters and calling and have gotten no where. My question is: Is it possible to dispute baddies off Equifax and Transunion, and once they remove items, to send some sort of follow suit letters to experian to get them to comply if the other two did? This is all hypothetical of course. I have not started disputing yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
    • By c0moneyman
      Wassup y’all, I went through a rough patch in my life when I was 18 and overcharged the freak out of a kohls charge card and it went into collections. I paid it off and now i’m thinking🤔, how can i get that removed off my report since i paid it off. I know i should’ve tried to write a letter to them saying if i pay it off they’ll knock it off my credit but i wasn’t thinking back then. Is it to late to contact them and ask to get it removed if possible? Im not tryna wait 7 years i’m trying to get a house next year y’all.
    • By CandiedCredit
      Hi Everyone, I requested hard copy reports from all 3. I just received my Trans report in the mail. To my surprise my report does not include date of 1st delinquency nor does it show any address identification numbers . Has anyone else had this happen to them? Do I need to request another report? Im so butt hurt, I was eager to get things rolling. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
    • By Diana2021
      Any advice is much appreciated! 

I graduated with my masters in Aug 2020 and havent had a full time job since Dec 2019. My mom was laid off because of covid in March 2020 and I stopped making payments to credit cards after graduating from my masters (Sept 2020) because my student loans stopped coming and my mom could barely make her own mortgage payments. Since Sept 2020, Ive severely damaged my credit and am now in over $27k cc debt. 

I've since moved to Europe and don't plan to come back to the US, at least not for several years, to pursue lower cost education here. 

I don't know how to proceed with my cc debt because I've been told since my credit is already tanked that it wouldnt matter if I pay off my debt, attempt to lower my 23-25% interest rates on my 9 credit cards, or try to negotiate a lower payoff. 

I work part time remotely for a client in the US but the work is random and not guaranteed. The most I've made since I started with her in Dec 2020 was $1100 a month. 

I contacted a debt consolidation law firm in the US but they want to charge me a $750 retainer and then $600 a month for 36 months to pay off my cards. Im waiting to hear if they guarantee these cards will be paid. 

No idea how to proceed and feeling overwhelmed because I want to do the right thing but Im drowning in interest rates and have called two banks to talk with them only to be yelled at and shamed. 

Do you have any advice for me?

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    CreditGuy832

Important Information

Guidelines