Collections has started

Hi, I've gone into a bit of credit card debt that I cannot pay. 4 separate cards totalling around 25k. Amex has just emailed me saying that my account has been transferred to Zwicker & Associates for collections. I have basically no assets, just a cheap old car and household items. I moved out of the country a year ago and unfortunately have had trouble with work due to Covid and starting over here, so I ran up my credit cards. How should I respond to the coming collection letters and what are my options from here? Thanks so much.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:21 AM, Ilcasdy said:

Hi, I've gone into a bit of credit card debt that I cannot pay. 4 separate cards totalling around 25k. Amex has just emailed me saying that my account has been transferred to Zwicker & Associates for collections. I have basically no assets, just a cheap old car and household items. I moved out of the country a year ago and unfortunately have had trouble with work due to Covid and starting over here, so I ran up my credit cards. How should I respond to the coming collection letters and what are my options from here? Thanks so much.

The question is are you planning on coming back? if not as long as you don't have US based bank accounts or investment accounts, nothing they can really do unless you work for an American company that gets paychecks from the states.  They may try to place a lien on your cheap old car which i doubt is a huge worry. So you should be safe, not much they can do for credit card debt. It's not like Korea where they literally come and take your household items.

The court cannot force you to pay credit card debt if you're living overseas, but creditors can go after any money you leave behind in a checking, savings, or investment account. And if you continue working for a U.S.-based employer, they can garnish your wages

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By blackinkv2
      Hi everyone, I hope this is in the right place. I was dumb during college and used the paypal credit as a way to fund other activities and I disregarded the payments (bad information, originally thought they wouldn't report to my credit). So now they have transferred it to midland credit. They have sent me letters for settlements of 5k with payment payments etc. After checking CK, the debt is currently 1 year old and has impacted my credit score. I don't have the money to pay the full amount back. What are some of my options?  

Thank you taking the time to read this.
    • By Wealthwomaninthemaking
      Hello, I received a Collection letter in the mail today. I called and the woman on the phone stated can you pay a lower payment and I said yes. I know this was a mistake. But she said she will check with her manager and call me back. The collections is from a 2017 hospital bill. But there is nothing on my credit from this agency or the hospital. My questions are do I pay this debt that is not on my credit? If I do pay is will the company report to the credit bureaus? Or do I send a validation letter? I’m leaning towards not paying it but I don’t know if it will go on my credit even though it has not in 3 years? Any advice would help. Thank you!!
    • By Igor
      Hi All - I am new here.

We are looking for help on how we can move our high APR CCs to 0% with a BT to new cards.

We have the following CCs with CL info. We are looking to do BTs to 0%. We opened a couple cards but got low CL, asked for a higher CL but were denied. We opened up US Bank cards to do BTs but got CL of $500 - 600. I tried asking US Bank to increase our CL to no avail. I thought we can leverage our open CL's on other CC, meaning I can lower the CL on a Citi card with 0% util and they would give me more but the CCC said it would not help.

One thing I noticed, we had been saying we earn $45k but we did not realize we earn $80k...

We are not sure what to do next.

I assume we should move around some CL or balances to bring the CS back up, then open a new card or raise the balance on a card with a BT offer, and do the BT.

I will look into getting the CR's to review if anything is not supposed to be there.

Meanwhile, these are the cards for me and DW.
      ME, FICO 726 owe CL CL utiliz. APR % rate until Notes FICO 726 (was 750 in Nov)   Bank of A 0 17200 0%           Chase Freedom 9550 13000 73% 15.24         Citi AA MileUp 0 13200 0%           Citi Double Cash 3600 3900 92% 0 6/16/2022  New                       DW - FICO 689                 Bank of A 4030 6900 58% 18.99         Bank of A 4200 6000 70% 22.99   0% until Feb 15, 2021     Citi Double Cash 2430 2500 97% 0 7/3/2022 New
          (Citi AA MileUp
      0 19700 0%      
      Closed)

What can I make more clear?
      TIA for all advice!
    • By jwals48
      Almost 40 days ago I sent in 3 dispute letters to all 3 CRA's. I received nothing back from EQ, EX sent me a copy of my report with no changes or notes, and TU deleted 4 accounts. Is there any way to leverage TU to help with the other CRA's? Thank You for any help!
    • By nikkihouse
      I tried to schedule an appointment with my doctor the other day, I was informed I have a past due bill that was sent to collections in 2014. This bill has never shown up on my credit. I called today and asked they send me an itemized bill, I’m not sure if this debt valid or not. I had insurance in 2014, I wonder if there was a misstep with the doctor’s office sending the bill to insurance company then contacting me for the remaining payment. I do not want to take the chance of paying on something (if it’s not valid) then it shows up on my credit. 

Should I follow this path (if it’s valid) of paying the debt with a bank check or money order with an endorsement on the back "for deposit only to the account of (name of Dr.) using https://whychat.me/hipltr.html insert "a?" Should I contact my insurance company from 2014 to see what was paid and what was not? Not sure how to proceed since I haven’t been contacted and this is not on my credit. I've used WhyChat's method before but not in a situation like this.  

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jleonard2004

Important Information

Guidelines