Question about banks and illicit transactions

Do banks block the card as soon as a fraudulent purchase is recognized by their algorithms, or do they wait for fraudulent transactions to build up? I've had my card used illicitly multiple times, but it was never blocked. I've talked to several of my friends and their cards were blocked before they even knew about it. I'm just kind of confused by this whole deal. Could anyone explain it to me? 

Depends on the bank and the trigger.  I've had card-present transactions kill an account because it was two bucks at an airport vending machine and I have had times where the account was not shut down until the third or fourth online transaction, even when those were legitimate transactions (booking a rental car, airfare and hotel in the span of a few minutes can do that). 

Depends on the bank and the trigger.  I've had card-present transactions kill an account because it was two bucks at an airport vending machine and I have had times where the account was not shut down until the third or fourth online transaction, even when those were legitimate transactions (booking a rental car, airfare and hotel in the span of a few minutes can do that). 

Was it one of those hooker vending machines in Amsterdam?

I've never had a card shut down, but I have had transactions denied until I've called in to confirm it was me. And that's all over the world as a I *never* submit travel notifications.

Discovery locks my account when I try to buy normal things. 

My favorite example was before they retired their Discovery Deals platform.  I logged into Discovery's web site, clicked through to a Discovery Deals merchant and immediately attempted a purchase, and they shut down my card because they suspected fraud.

8 hours ago, PotO said:

Was it one of those hooker vending machines in Amsterdam?

I've never had a card shut down, but I have had transactions denied until I've called in to confirm it was me. And that's all over the world as a I *never* submit travel notifications.

Well, when I say shut down, in the context of THIS thread, I meant frozen until I called...something that is decidedly inconvenience sometimes.  Yet another reason to always travel with options...

As Centex said it really varies bank to bank.  I have had 5 figure charges sail through without an issue and then gotten an alert/approval request for a $50 purchase.  I am sure they looking at your spending patterns, history with the bank, type of transaction, location, etc.

Vending machines and gas pumps are notorious for getting blocked because that is usually the first place someone committing fraud will try to use the card because they are unattended.  Once that works they are off to the races.

Using the card at the same service station or convenience store twice in one day will usually get the card locked down fast, especially if the first transaction is a small amount of $2.00 or less. I guess it's a tactic used by card thieves and cloners to test cards to see if they're still viable.