Next step after dispute on dirty CA

I really want to stick it to this CA since it is now out of SOL. Backstory : in 2018 this CA called my job and spoke to the security guard and told them that I needed to call them back so they can serve me paperwork. 

I was scared and called them back and I was so pissed. The lady said they were getting ready to garnish my wages and I told her she was lying because SC is a non garnishment state. 

They never attempted to call me after that but they are on my credit report, reporting every month as a factoring company. Only on Experian. I just disputed with the special letter and it came back “remAins”. 

What now? I really want to stick it to them. I don’t trust them to send them one red penny. 

3 hours ago, JGHouseHunter said:

The default happened early 2017. 

2017 + 7 = 2024. So it can be reported for another three years or so. 
Although you mentioned wage garnishment. That would require you to have been sued. Which would change things (not for the better).

Let’s assume that this unnamed CA was BSing you about garnishment and this is just a typical CO account. It can be reported as long as it it reported correctly. 
You’ll need paper copies of your reports from the CRAs to know for sure who is reporting and exactly what is being reported. 

Once you get your reports properly, update the post with exactly what is being reported (excluding PII, obviously) and assistance can be provided. Without that info, it’s not possible to give useful advice. 

Hopefully the dispute you mentioned wasn’t done online. 

11 hours ago, CreditSucksNot said:

SIGH.  I knew that.  FYI:  If it is reporting as a "factoring company" it is not a collection agency.  The debt is likely sold to a junk debt buyer.

WHICH JDB is reporting?  

Oh... Lewis McDonnell and Associates. 

I am pulling out my report and will post the details below. 

The CA was definitely BSing. They never sued me, I checked the county records before I called them back. Thats how I knew to call the on their bluff about the wage garnishment. They never contacted me after this call. In fact i don't recall ever receiving a letter from them.

They are only showing on my Experian Report which i have a paper copy of. I submitted the dispute directly to Experian using Why's Special Letter SOL program . 

Here are the details

OC: LoanMe 

Comment: Purchased by another lender

The date of last payment looks like it may be Oct 2016  - I can't tell looking at this report

CA or JDB?: Lewis McDonnell & Assoc

Type: Debt Buyer

Term: 1 month

*it appears that the balance is increasing every month. 

Let me know if you need any additional information for useful advice. 

The 2018 conduct generally won't be actionable unless your State law allows those actions to be brought at this late date.  Further, actionable does not always mean sanctionable in the absence of a showing of harm. 

What is NOT clear here is whether you actually tailored a written dispute TO the data furnisher.  A letter to Experian did nothing to really preserve your rights. 

3 hours ago, centex said:

The 2018 conduct generally won't be actionable unless your State law allows those actions to be brought at this late date.  Further, actionable does not always mean sanctionable in the absence of a showing of harm. 

What is NOT clear here is whether you actually tailored a written dispute TO the data furnisher.  A letter to Experian did nothing to really preserve your rights. 

I have not sent a dispute to the data furnished yet.  Based on what I’ve read, this should be my next step. Do you agree?  

7 hours ago, JGHouseHunter said:

I have not sent a dispute to the data furnished yet.  Based on what I’ve read, this should be my next step. Do you agree?  

If it were me, I would be sending a very specific letter tailored to the account.  If you have State law that is beneficial to your efforts, then you include that as well.  DO NOT send generic tripe!