MyEquifax Dispute Down?

Trying to possibly dispute something online via MyEquifax (Equifax's portal). Getting this message:

You are not able to dispute this information. This may be because you have already filed a dispute and it is under investigation.

If you have not filed a dispute or need more information, contact Equifax at 888-836-6351.

I called, and they said there's a system update going on, and to try later. Sounds like possible BS, so just curious if anyone else is able to access the online dispute page. 

2 hours ago, MarvBear said:

Why dispute online?

I do not know about the Equifax site.  It's been many many years since I disputed anything online.

Thanks. I'd like to hear from someone that does use the dispute portal, since I've never had any issues in the past. 

8 hours ago, zenithar said:

Trying to possibly dispute something online via MyEquifax (Equifax's portal). Getting this message:

I called, and they said there's a system update going on, and to try later. Sounds like possible BS, so just curious if anyone else is able to access the online dispute page. 

What are you trying to dispute?

Disputing online is a bad idea 99.9% of the time. So their system being glitchy probably did you a favor. 

Edited by DPB

Thanks. I primarily use it as a backdoor in between reports I pull. 

What's the best way to update an address on file with Equifax? They're reporting an old address as my current address... and my actual current address as an old address. On my credit report, you can clearly see that the old address (showing as current) was last reported 6 months ago, whereas my actual current address was reported as recently as a week ago. It's been ~6 months since I moved. 

5 hours ago, zenithar said:

What's the best way to update an address on file with Equifax? They're reporting an old address as my current address... and my actual current address as an old address. On my credit report, you can clearly see that the old address (showing as current) was last reported 6 months ago, whereas my actual current address was reported as recently as a week ago. It's been ~6 months since I moved. 

If you are intent on filing an address dispute, follow the instructions for a dispute by mail.

Address disputes can be helpful when there's an old address on your report that's tied to an adverse status tradeline.  Outside of that unique situation, they're largely a waste of time.

Odds are that one or more creditors (account open or closed) still has your old address on file and is reporting it when they update your credit report.  Once you assure that all your creditors have your current address, this situation should correct itself.

Having a recent, but former address show up as your current address on a credit report is of little consequence.  I'm currently straddling a move and have a couple of new credit lines that were opened under my new address (even though I'm still principally residing at my former address).  The "current address" field of my credit reports is in frequent flux.

14 hours ago, zenithar said:

Annualcreditreport.com is currently giving you free access to your reports from the big 3 once per week. No need for backdoor access to your file. 

I pull AnnualCreditReport each week, which is helpful. I just use the dispute screen to monitor updates between reports.

I moved 6 months ago. Just to re-iterate:

• My 'current address' shows as my previous address (which I moved from 6 months ago)
  • The 'last reported' for my real current address shows as January 2021.
  • The 'last reported' for my incorrect current address (i.e. old address) shows June 2020.

So, this is just a matter of their system not updating properly, and being stupid. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, zenithar said:

I pull AnnualCreditReport each week, which is helpful. I just use the dispute screen to monitor updates between reports.

I moved 6 months ago. Just to re-iterate:

• My 'current address' shows as my previous address (which I moved from 6 months ago)
  • The 'last reported' for my real current address shows as January 2021.
  • The 'last reported' for my incorrect current address (i.e. old address) shows June 2020.

So, this is just a matter of their system not updating properly, and being stupid. 

It is also a matter of Equifax being incompetent.   I had the same problem over a decade ago with Equifax.

Have you updated your address with each and every creditor?  All it takes is for ONE to have the old address and it undoes everything else address-related. 

Use the paper report and see who is updating on a regular basis.  Even if it is a closed account, if they are updating, the address they have is what will populate more often than not for the address field. 

2 hours ago, centex said:

Have you updated your address with each and every creditor?  All it takes is for ONE to have the old address and it undoes everything else address-related. 

Use the paper report and see who is updating on a regular basis.  Even if it is a closed account, if they are updating, the address they have is what will populate more often than not for the address field. 

I have 4 open accounts, all which have the updated address. If you see my post above, you'll see that the last reported date for the old address was back in June.  None of the closed accounts on my paper report show recent 'Date Reported' dates. 

Edited by zenithar
2 hours ago, centex said:

What about creditors that ARE NOT on your report at present?  Do you have ANY delinquencies that may still be lurking, even if they are old enough to not be reported? 

No, I've never had any negatives on my report. 

Again, the dates for my addresses clearly show the last report date of June for my old address. I do not have this issue with Experian or Transunion. 

Edited by zenithar

My advice (FWIW):

If it soothes your mind, go ahead with an online dispute of the address field.  The admonitions against using the online dispute mechanism ALL relate to what works best when it comes to the attempt to remove adverse tradeline information.

None of those issues are pertinent here. 

That said, I believe the address discrepancy to be of absolutely no consequence.  Further, I'd make a modest bet that after you secure a correction, whatever recent reporting that shifted your prior address into the "Current Address" field will occur again and you'll be back at "square 1".  I can hardly be confident of that, but the real point is that you may simply be biting onto an ongoing source of aggravation without any real payback in the process.

On 1/19/2021 at 5:53 PM, hdporter said:

My advice (FWIW):

If it soothes your mind, go ahead with an online dispute of the address field.  The admonitions against using the online dispute mechanism ALL relate to what works best when it comes to the attempt to remove adverse tradeline information.

None of those issues are pertinent here. 

That said, I believe the address discrepancy to be of absolutely no consequence.  Further, I'd make a modest bet that after you secure a correction, whatever recent reporting that shifted your prior address into the "Current Address" field will occur again and you'll be back at "square 1".  I can hardly be confident of that, but the real point is that you may simply be biting onto an ongoing source of aggravation without any real payback in the process.

Isn't a consequence when checking my credit, etc? If the address is inaccurate? Or would my credit report still get pulled ok since my current address is listed as an old address?

• Admin

Your credit report will get pulled based on the information you supply.  Credit reporting agencies get furnished information in many ways.  They do not solely depend on your creditors as the only source of information.  Another valuable source comes from inquiry mode, which is supplied by those that placed the inquiry onto your credit file.

As @MarvBear's post suggests, your credit report will be pulled so long as a preponderance of your id details match what's on record and don't match another individual's record.  If a creditor pulls an inquiry with an address not currently on file, as well as with a matching prior address, SSN, and DOB, your file will be successfully pulled and updated with the new reported address.

This is precisely what I encountered in November, when I financed a new car and provided my new address where the car would be garaged (rather than my present home, from which we'll eventually move, 1100 mi away).

Your credit report will get pulled based on the information you supply.  Credit reporting agencies get furnished information in many ways.  They do not solely depend on your creditors as the only source of information.  Another valuable source comes from inquiry mode, which is supplied by those that placed the inquiry onto your credit file.
If your moving some utilities now check your credit and could have placed the information in the wrong field as mentioned above. As for Equifax disputes see below..

Screenshot_20210126-212159_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

You are not able to dispute this information. This may be because you have already filed a dispute and it is under investigation.
If you have not filed a dispute or need more information, contact Equifax at 888-836-6351.

Hi have anyone had any problems with mail in request to the bureau(s) because the pandemic? I’ve noticed no response no updates over 60 days

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk