Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

AmEx, Citi Dangle Bevy of Perks to Antsy Premium Card Customers

AmEx, Citi Dangle Bevy of Perks to Antsy Premium Card Customers

In online forums, customers are swapping stories of the success -- or lack thereof -- they’ve had in getting retention offers when they’ve called to cancel or downgrade pricey cards. Some Sapphire Reserve customers, for instance, say they’ve received statement credits of as much as $250.

The discussion re CSR and retention credits extended to cardholders calling to downgrade or cancel prodded to review my card standing (even though this isn't the first time the topic has been raised).

I knew my charging was down significantly, but hadn't realized just now much.  In 2019, I put approx $40k through the card.  In 2020, that dropped to $16k.  That's surprising when you take into account that I don't charge air travel on the card, and our "order in" dining has likely doubled.  But, no doubt, there are a lot of travel expenses that simply haven't been a factor in 2020.  I just had no idea it was $20k+ worth!  (Well, I know my Avis charges dropped by about $5000 last year ...).

Planning on an early am call to Chase ...

I agree with the last sentence in that article. Amex did pivot well. I had two premium cards when the pandemic started and planned to close one of them. I ended up keeping the Amex because they quickly expanded their benefits, while the other issuer did nothing and therefore I closed it. 

14 hours ago, hdporter said:

The discussion re CSR and retention credits extended to cardholders calling to downgrade or cancel prodded to review my card standing (even though this isn't the first time the topic has been raised).

I knew my charging was down significantly, but hadn't realized just now much.  In 2019, I put approx $40k through the card.  In 2020, that dropped to $16k.  That's surprising when you take into account that I don't charge air travel on the card, and our "order in" dining has likely doubled.  But, no doubt, there are a lot of travel expenses that simply haven't been a factor in 2020.  I just had no idea it was $20k+ worth!  (Well, I know my Avis charges dropped by about $5000 last year ...).

Planning on an early am call to Chase ...

Updating w/ Result of call:  Closed the account.  Approx $400 refund of annual fees due (75% based on Oct renewal). 

CSR said there was no retention offer on file; none avail were I to escalate the call.  (I wonder if the fact that I solely use the card for travel/dining and have consistently redeemed at a 4%+ cashback rate was a factor.)

There's no question in my mind that we'll ultimately return to Chase Sapphire Reserve.  We'll probably switch it over to Bev to earn another SUB.

2 hours ago, hdporter said:

Updating w/ Result of call:  Closed the account.  Approx $400 refund of annual fees due (75% based on Oct renewal). 

CSR said there was no retention offer on file; none avail were I to escalate the call.  (I wonder if the fact that I solely use the card for travel/dining and have consistently redeemed at a 4%+ cashback rate was a factor.)

There's no question in my mind that we'll ultimately return to Chase Sapphire Reserve.  We'll probably switch it over to Bev to earn another SUB.

sounds like a smart move. On JPMR I've already gotten $60 (doordoosh) and $300 travel credit and I am getting the pusaton credit ($120 total) and my global entry needs renewing this year ($100) so I'll be at $580 before the value of UR, chase offers, and the (not very highly valued) United Club. Spouse has C$R and will max the doordoosh, travel, and pusaton credit but will need to hunt for additional bennies to offset the AF this year.

Edited by hegemony