Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Nothing urgent, just musing and muttering

So with the little bit of housekeeping I was doing with my various accounts, I stopped to add up the revolvers and see where I'm at.

I am $13,600 away from a milestone that I wouldn't mind having, so now I'm just mulling over how I can get there without doing something actively dumb.

I don't reeeally want to open up all my reports for hard inquiries from CLI requests, especially when I know some would flop (like last time, IIRC).

I guess the only real tack I have is to app a new card, but the ecosystem out there hasn't come up with anything compelling that I know of.

What do you know?  Is there a sweet sweet prime card out there I'm unaware of?  I'm already at a couple dozen revolvers; another one is no big deal, but also no real excitement either.

Like I said, nothing of real consequence in this post, just jabbering at the walls and seeing if anyone has any random ideas.

I'd worry more about the impact of AAoA of a new account than CLI inquiries.

That said, an answer to the sweet sweet prime card question will be a function of your current cards and spending patterns.

Also, since many issuers (e.g., Citi, Amex, BOA, etc) do a soft* for a CLI, I'd try this first.

* these three will ask you for special double secret permission for a hard if a soft won't suffice for them.

Definitely points worthy of consideration.

Other things I've just (re)noticed that sorta interest me:

VISA Infinite cards are generally interesting.

I've always sorta kinda wanted an AMEX Platinum, though with low/no travel this past year and probably this year, the needfulness is low.  Also, I was definitely more interested when there were ways to not have to eat that AF...but since Ameriprise stopped their version, my attention has waned.

Finding some sort of non-US card is...kinda interesting?  Even if it was just Canoodia, it'd be something.  Sorta bucket list kind of thing (I already have a healthy hidden tradeline...there's not much left in US credit that gets me to raise my eyebrow).

To answer your asks, my spend is pretty banal.  A Lyft a couple times a week, some video game stuff here and there, groceries like a grownup, fast food like a teenager, fancy dinners (well, not at current) like a gentleman.  The usual bills everyone has or has a version of, etc.

My current cards keep me covered; I can't think of a purchase in the last five years that wasn't optimized by having a card that was better than others for that particular thing.

It's all pretty dialed in.  My candelabra is all shiny and polished and lit up; I'm just trying to find a way to put more ornamentation on it, or some other bizarre analogy. ;)

If $13,600 gets your utilization below a given threshold, a stronger strategy may be to target $2k-$3k for payoff.

If $13,600 crosses some threshold for total credit lines, then I'll stop and note that there are worse obsessions.

2 hours ago, hdporter said:

If $13,600 gets your utilization below a given threshold, a stronger strategy may be to target $2k-$3k for payoff.

If $13,600 crosses some threshold for total credit lines, then I'll stop and note that there are worse obsessions.

It's the second... ;)

10 hours ago, brainchasm said:

Definitely points worthy of consideration.

Other things I've just (re)noticed that sorta interest me:

VISA Infinite cards are generally interesting.

I've always sorta kinda wanted an AMEX Platinum, though with low/no travel this past year and probably this year, the needfulness is low.  Also, I was definitely more interested when there were ways to not have to eat that AF...but since Ameriprise stopped their version, my attention has waned.

Finding some sort of non-US card is...kinda interesting?  Even if it was just Canoodia, it'd be something.  Sorta bucket list kind of thing (I already have a healthy hidden tradeline...there's not much left in US credit that gets me to raise my eyebrow).

To answer your asks, my spend is pretty banal.  A Lyft a couple times a week, some video game stuff here and there, groceries like a grownup, fast food like a teenager, fancy dinners (well, not at current) like a gentleman.  The usual bills everyone has or has a version of, etc.

My current cards keep me covered; I can't think of a purchase in the last five years that wasn't optimized by having a card that was better than others for that particular thing.

It's all pretty dialed in.  My candelabra is all shiny and polished and lit up; I'm just trying to find a way to put more ornamentation on it, or some other bizarre analogy. ;)

The Amex Platinum is NPSL, so it won't accomplish your goal of adding to your revolving limits.  Plus... well never mind, the card isn't really in play here.

It's hard to know what to recommend since we don't know what you already have or where your spending is concentrated, but if you want to scratch the Visa Infinite itch, get a US Bank Altitude Reserve ($750 SUB to use for travel later -- or other lesser redemptions), $400 AF with a $325 travel credit that can currently also be used for dining).  Use the dining credits and you're $675 ahead in year one, even if that's all you get out of the card.

You can downgrade the Reserve to the no-AF Altitude Go after the first year if the Reserve doesn't meet  your needs longer-term.  The Go, among other things, pays 4x on dining, which is hard to find,

Edited by cv91915

Here's the current card loadout with limits, for informational purposes:

Alliant VISA Platinum / $15k - from rebuilding days, empty/unused

AMEX BCP / $28k - current primary CC for groceries and gas

AMEX Everyday / $5k - from rebuilding days, empty/unused

BofA MC Platinum / $10k - recent BT use, empty/unused

Citi MC AAdvantage / $23.9k - previous default CC, empty/unused

Citi Diamond Preferred / $3k - empty/unused

Discover IT / $30k - previous BT, empty/unused

JPM Chase Sapphire Pref / $30k - current default card, hidden TL

JPM Chase Freedom / $8k - regularly used card by fiancee

JPM Chase Amazon / $1k - regularly used on Amazon by both of us

NFCU cashRewards / $41k - current BT card

PenFed Power Cash / $12k - empty/unused

Sears SYW / $4k - small balance from freezer purchase, otherwise unused

JTV (Synchrony) / $10k - small balance from jewelry purchase, otherwise unused

USAA VISA / $16k - CC with primary bank, empty/unused

USAA RateAdvantage / $17k - checking OD protection, empty unused

Wells Fargo AMEX Propel / $25k - empty/unused

Wells Fargo VISA / $7.5k - empty/unused

Apple / $5k - empty/unused

And I think that's about it.  Basically, all but three cards have no rolling balance, and of the three that do, the BT is at 1.99%, and the freezer and jewelry are at 0% and can be zeroed at any moment.

Couple of car notes with NFCU, VA home loan with WF.

Hopefully that informs any recommendations or thought processes, and thanks in advance! :)

I'd hit the love button with Bank of America (99.9k potential), and also one of the Amex revolvers. 

Log in to PennFedd and check for offers.  If they have a pre-approved credit card offer you should be able to call in and have them add the pre-approved limit to your current card (unless something has changed).

I think that would get you well over the line without even opening another card.

If you want to add a card, US Bank has the Altitude Reserve and Altitude Go (benefits mentioned earlier), and the Cash+, which I'm currently flogging for 5% on utilities, streaming, cable, ISP, etc. (thanks again, @hdporter).

Capital One also isn't currently represented, although I wouldn't consider that a serious deficiency, considering:

I don't know why anyone would want to pay an AF for 4x on dining on the Flavor Savor when the Go offers the same with no AF

The Vulture's disguise as a travel card is getting more convincing and it has a SUB, but the AF coupled with the poor transfer ratios to travel partners makes it a steaming bowl-winder with no place in a thinking person's long-term portfolio.

And, of course, everything else they issue under their own logo is garbage unless you're borderline desperate, as many of us have been -- but you are not.

Edited by cv91915

I'll hit up BofA for a CLI, thanks!  I don't really care to do business with them as I think they are a shite bank, but I needed them at the moment back then.

I've been checking PenFed, but I'll check more closely.  I mainly keep that card for the relationship, and hoping for a decent offer for something someday.

I'll research and heavily consider the USBank Altitude Reserve, and see if it's a fit.  USBank is another one that I kind of roll my eyes at them as a bank in general, but rewards don't have to have a face...I looked at the Cash+ for other people/reasons before, but it was largely useless to me (my streaming is free, my ISP is free, I don't do cable, and my utilities are low).

I've always been blech about CapOne.  Their products just aren't that interesting to me, and their triple bureau check just offends my sensibilities.  Petty I know, but I'm in a place where I can choose to be petty.

Getting from boned to rebuilding/recovering to borderline to headed towards fat-cat/monocle-money has definitely been a journey, and I appreciate your acknowledgement. :)  I owe the vast majority of my recovery and my skills learned in that process to creditboards! ❤️

Edited by brainchasm

BofA luv button from $10k to $19k, asked for $50k.

At PenFed, I have nothing available under the Other Offers box except a TurboTax "discount", and car shopping or some such.

7-10 day message on AMEX, so I'm guessing they'll want a HP and my reports are frozen ofc.

A quick check of the Altitude Reserve shows their current offering is expiring on 6/30/21.  I'll look at it again after that, since travel may be back on the menu by then, and they may re-cycle the offer after 6/30, so I could catch it fresh.

Edited by brainchasm

Minor notes to add to clarify my mindset:

I would combine the Citi cards, but they don't do that, so meh.

I would combine the AMEX cards, but they are both from the age of D*, and that would be awful to lose a 20-year card.  I already lost my ZYNC when they discontinued that program.  My poor, poor sparkly-white-Twilight-Edward-Cullen card.

I would combine the WF cards, but the one I would give up is the older one, and the one I would keep that already has the much larger limit is the Propel, and thus the newer one.  I suppose I could ask them to combine the Propel into the older card, and then convert the older card TO a Propel, but I'm afraid they would just look at me sideways and tell me to go away with my weirdo requests.

2 hours ago, brainchasm said:

Minor notes to add to clarify my mindset:

I would combine the Citi cards, but they don't do that, so meh.

I would combine the AMEX cards, but they are both from the age of D*, and that would be awful to lose a 20-year card.  I already lost my ZYNC when they discontinued that program.  My poor, poor sparkly-white-Twilight-Edward-Cullen card.

I would combine the WF cards, but the one I would give up is the older one, and the one I would keep that already has the much larger limit is the Propel, and thus the newer one.  I suppose I could ask them to combine the Propel into the older card, and then convert the older card TO a Propel, but I'm afraid they would just look at me sideways and tell me to go away with my weirdo requests.

Unless things changed within the last year or so, you can combine Citi cards through a call to the EO.  They will pull a hard for the pleasure however, and approval isn't guaranteed.

Edited by CTSoxFan

Yeah, it's nowhere near that critical.

I was looking at this - https://grandreserverewards.com/  because I am a wine nerd, but Las Vegas has zero coverage, partners, or participation in the valley, so it's a big fat non-starter for now.  I realize there are cards for fancylads & fancyladies out there, but it's too bad there isn't something more targeted...I dunno, I'm just palavering.

But like a card (or hell, even just a receipt program) that rewards you for buying fancy/imported cheese, wines from anywhere, better/prime cuts from high(er)-end butchers, etc.  Not true fancylad (read: actual wealthy) but more aspirational.  Like a Treat Yo Self rewards card.  Just spitballing. *shrug*

4 hours ago, brainchasm said:

BofA luv button from $10k to $19k, asked for $50k.

At PenFed, I have nothing available under the Other Offers box except a TurboTax "discount", and car shopping or some such.

7-10 day message on AMEX, so I'm guessing they'll want a HP and my reports are frozen ofc.

A quick check of the Altitude Reserve shows their current offering is expiring on 6/30/21.  I'll look at it again after that, since travel may be back on the menu by then, and they may re-cycle the offer after 6/30, so I could catch it fresh.

Amex typically doesn't ask to pull unless you're surpassing $50k of total exposure (did you ask for that?).  In any case, taking your BCP to $44k (or higher) will satisfy the hurdle you set.  Unfreeze and ok the pull, if necessary. 

2 hours ago, hdporter said:

Amex typically doesn't ask to pull unless you're surpassing $50k of total exposure (did you ask for that?).  In any case, taking your BCP to $44k (or higher) will satisfy the hurdle you set.  Unfreeze and ok the pull, if necessary. 

Ah hell, I DID ask them for the big card to go to $50k, while having the little card already at $5k.

I'll ask smarter next time.  Thanks!

Another separate note, only tangentially related to anything:

I'm currently right at 5/24 (assuming installment TLs don't count).  I will be 4/24 on 2-5-21.

Not that JPMChase has anything I want right now, but it's always nice to have that corner pocket, just in case.

(oh wait, I might be 6/24 if that Apple card starts reporting like a normal card.  Does anyone know if they report?  I have to think they do.)

If I am 6/24, then I won't be 4/24 until 8-2-21.

apple is reporting for me. some have reported success with apple CLI requests (not sure if it is a soft or not) so that may be an option for you to hit your goal.