Thought I'd recap a few of the more interesting things I've seen bosses (try) to do that I thought were marginal if not unethical.

Background: I'm an electrical engineer that loves all things techie.

First one happened after I was recruited away from my first job. The company was quite small (<100 peeps) and a competitor but it was a chance to work with technology my prior company didn't want to do.  Within a month of working there the boss asked me to go on a sales trip and the goal quickly became clear was to deprecate the products my prior company was selling. I declined. Vigorously. It was never mentioned again.

Years later, when the biz was much larger and I was by then the manager of R&D, the company hired a new CEO. A few weeks into his tenure I was requested to meet with him in his office. I was surprised that he didn't want to go over anything specific but instead, he called another manager on speakerphone and started chatting. He did this while I was sitting there without mentioning I was present.  WTF?  It appeared to be some sort of "you're one of my inside guys" kind of thing. Yuck.  Later I mentioned this to a few others who said he did the same thing with them.  It got around. He left a few months later. He wasn't missed. The guy that replaced him was great to work with.

What sort of really dumb games have your bosses played?

Some C-levels love being out in the unethical fringes of business. Couple of job ago the CEO was so paranoid he had screenshot software installed on random people's computers. IT would take screenshots and put them in a database only he could access. He thought the engineers were stealing "his" designs.

Then I found out why he was so paranoid - he stole "his" designs from his previous employer. Previous employer tried to sue him for infringement but went BK before it could go to court. He ended up buying said designs and blueprints from the BK trustee at the liquidation auction.

13 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Some C-levels love being out in the unethical fringes of business. Couple of job ago the CEO was so paranoid he had screenshot software installed on random people's computers. IT would take screenshots and put them in a database only he could access. He thought the engineers were stealing "his" designs.

Then I found out why he was so paranoid - he stole "his" designs from his previous employer. Previous employer tried to sue him for infringement but went BK before it could go to court. He ended up buying said designs and blueprints from the BK trustee at the liquidation auction.

Jeez. What a pathetic guy. My experiences were mild in comparison. And the CEO and top execs set the tone. Bad behavior by them just permeates and good people leave. Like an old fish it rots from the head.

Once worked for a place that thought it was a brilliant idea to redo the entire front of the building, landscaping, etc. at a cost of $250k and in the middle of it held a RIF.  So your flowers are more important than your employees...got it.

Also had a boss ask me to go look for someone in the men's room.  Told her no, that if he is in there I am sure he'll be out in a couple of minutes. What was I going to do, go in and say "Hey Sam, can you pinch that off, Betty is looking for you"?

Had a boss recruit and relocate me to another state just to quit on me 2 months later...

Along the Hege lines, had a boss justify the shitty raise pool (I got an above average raise relative to the rest) trying to say it was a tough year when the company made record profit.

I am sure I'll think of more...

Edited by CTSoxFan
On 1/7/2021 at 9:18 PM, cashnocredit said:

Jeez. What a pathetic guy. My experiences were mild in comparison. And the CEO and top execs set the tone. Bad behavior by them just permeates and good people leave. Like an old fish it rots from the head.

And that exactly happened. In one year out of 50 people and 5 of which were related by blood, 10 voluntarily left the company.

16 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

And that exactly happened. In one year out of 50 people and 5 of which were related by blood, 10 voluntarily left the company.

I believe it. At my first company one of the engineers there was the nephew of the CEO/owner. He was a pretty good engineer. Still, there was a lot of chatter that he had some sort of edge because of blood relationship. But I never saw any evidence. I believed the nephew was at a disadvantage because too many just assumed he was given privileges when he wasn't. And I would have known.

Had the owner showed any favoritism it would have been rapidly destructive to the work environment.

The owner was as honest and fair as the day was long and I was reluctant to leave. But my desire to explore new tech just wasn't going to happen there unless I forced it and I wasn't comfortable doing that. But I still remember him fondly and his example shaped how I worked with others.

Oh all of the blood relatives got all of the spoils and privileges of the company. We had an employee handbook. We might as well had two versions - one for the relatives with no rules and one for the rest of the employees that stated everyone gets treated like dirt. I was one of the ten who left in a span of about six months, and a couple years later the CEO decided to fully retire and sold the company to a private equity holding company. I had my schadenfreude when the new owners immediately fired two relatives then fired the 3rd relative (Co. President) a year later. One relative (a cousin) is still there - because he's the only relative who actually worked.

In my early twenties I worked a short time waitressing for a foreigner. When I gave my notice to quit, he tried to short me for a shift. I told him to ask all the employees that I worked that shift. He retorted that he is the boss and he won't ask his employees that. I told him if he doesn't pay me I'll take him to the labor board. He blew up, wrote the check for the proper amount and threw it at me. I said thank you and walked out. LOL!

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 9:36 AM, StarkRaven$ said:

In my early twenties I worked a short time waitressing for a foreigner. When I gave my notice to quit, he tried to short me for a shift. I told him to ask all the employees that I worked that shift. He retorted that he is the boss and he won't ask his employees that. I told him if he doesn't pay me I'll take him to the labor board. He blew up, wrote the check for the proper amount and threw it at me. I said thank you and walked out. LOL!

What a creep.

When I reluctantly left my first job, I gave 30 days notice the first of Dec. And I worked through Dec. Even though I was going to work for a competitor, the company continued to pay me and I was included in the two weeks extra pay at Christmas we got if the company was reasonably profitable for the year. I could easily have been terminated before that. Also kept my company CC until the last day there.

The owner was a model of how to treat employees.

As an aside, we had an unusual, extra, paid holiday. Saint Patrick's Day. Yeah, his background was Irish.

Edited by cashnocredit
18 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

As an aside, we had an unusual, extra, paid holiday. Saint Patrick's Day. Yeah, his background was Irish.

Unfortunately these things rarely happen anymore, except in small companies.  Why?  Because if he gave people St. Patrick's Day off, inevitably someone would complain that they didn't get some other non-governmental holiday off that celebrates another culture and they are being discriminated against.

At our company, we get Good Friday off, but they call it the "spring holiday" to avoid tying it to a religious event and any potential why don't we get XYZ special religious day off...