Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Submitted complaint through CFPB.

Hi,

I submitted complaints through CFPB to dispute negative items on my credit report. It has been over 30 days and most of the creditors have not responded. DOsent that mean items should be deleted for taking too long to respond. Also had chase respond today asking that I call them to give them more info to locate and verify my account. How should I respond? Thanks.

welcome to CB!

can you explain what you mean by filed complaint via the CFPB. was this a complaint WITH the CFPB or did you somehow do an online dispute with the four major CRAs linked from the CFPB website?

also, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Disputes over inaccurate or erroneous information on your reports have to be submitted to the CRAs directly. The CFPB is a financial oversight agency and based on your post, we aren't certain what you've done or what your goals are.

I'm trying to get some two credit card charged off accounts and a collection taken off. One of the collections (LVNV) fell off my Transuinion and Experian but they responded to the disput on the 30th day and are only on my equifax report. Chase card also responded (after 30 days) and are asking me to call them with more info to verify and look up my account.

3 hours ago, arcangelmike said:

Yes, I mailed in disputes to the CRA's first and then on the 30th day, I filed a complaint with the CFPB for not hearing any response. 

Very bad move.  Please read up on Section 611 of the FCRA. if not from a free annual credit report a dispute reinvestigation can take up to 30 days plus 5 days mail time.  Calling the CRA or additional info via a 3rd party gives them an extra amount of time.

The CFPB is certainly a 3rd party if you engage them in an ongoing dispute.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Ok, I was told if you don't get a response for 30 days, I should file a complaint with CFPB. Ironically after filing the complaint, they have started to acknowledge the receipt of the disputes. I wanted to know what I should do next, especially since its been 42 days. 

"609 letters" are almost never discussed here.  In my experience they're promoted by people on YouTube whose primary objective is to sell worthless form letters to unsuspecting consumers.

I hesitated before posting the specific link below because its author is often quoted in credit articles and usually only manages to be 75% right, but I believe that the main points in this specific missive are directionally correct.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/what-is-a-609-dispute-letter/ 

14 hours ago, arcangelmike said:

I sent the CRA's a direct 609 letter. Was not through a third party. I filed a complaint with CFPB after the 30 day period.

In your first post, you stated, “It has been over 30 days and most of the creditors have not responded.”

“609 letters” do not apply to those, such as creditors and collection agencies, that furnish information to the credit reporting agencies.  Therefore, those companies are not required to respond to the letter.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bluesie58 said:

In your first post, you stated, “It has been over 30 days and most of the creditors have not responded.”

“609 letters” do not apply to those, such as creditors and collection agencies, that furnish information to the credit reporting agencies.  Therefore, those companies are not required to respond to the letter.

I could be wrong, but the way I read OP's comments was that the 609 letters were mailed to the bureaus as the intended method of disputing the accounts, but the creditors haven't responded back to the bureaus by either updating the trade line or confirming what's already being reported (and therefore the disputes are still open).

Edited by cv91915

3 hours ago, arcangelmike said:

Yes. I mailed them directly to the bureaus and the creditors have not responded. I did not mail it to the creditors.

What exactly did you say in your letter?  Did you dispute specific information (such as the balance, last activity, etc.), or was it a generic dispute and request for the information in your file?

I would sit back and wait for everything that's in motion to come to a rest, and then regroup.  

Did the trade lines you were targeting actually have incorrect information reporting, or were you hoping just to get them to drop because they're a nuisance the way they're (correctly) reporting?

combination of both Hit Man. I did have LVNV collection drop off my Transunion and Experian, so that's good. Chase replied to the CFPB asking that I call them so they can get more info to verify my account. Not sure if I should call them or just send a validation letter. 

12 hours ago, arcangelmike said:

combination of both Hit Man. I did have LVNV collection drop off my Transunion and Experian, so that's good. Chase replied to the CFPB asking that I call them so they can get more info to verify my account. Not sure if I should call them or just send a validation letter. 

Debt validation letters are for debt collectors, not original creditors, so definitely do not send a DV letter to Chase.

If the Chase trade line, if corrected, would actually be a positive trade line, that would be the only circumstance where I'd call Chase at this point and try to get them to correct their records -- and then update the bureau(s)..  Others may disagree.

Were the disputes based on a paper report or one obtained online?  If it was an online report, then the thirty days does not even apply...you would have given 45 days for a response.  Sending generic tripe is just exacerbating the problem...the cherry on top is asking a federal agency to intervene and then not wanting to do as instructed in response TO that complaint. 

2 hours ago, centex said:

Were the disputes based on a paper report or one obtained online?  If it was an online report, then the thirty days does not even apply...you would have given 45 days for a response.  Sending generic tripe is just exacerbating the problem...the cherry on top is asking a federal agency to intervene and then not wanting to do as instructed in response TO that complaint. 

I think OP was hoodwinked by someone who sold him a line of garbage about 609 letters.  It's unfortunate that there are people out there who do that.

Thoughts on the right path forward?

On 1/5/2021 at 8:11 AM, Bluesie58 said:

I my reading is correct, OP is stating that the reporters haven't responded to the CRA investigation initiated by a dispute filed with the CRA

So, in response to @arcangelmike, you may have unwittingly extended the dispute response time with the follow up to the CFPB.  Concerning that contact, I don't know where your advice to contact them at 30 days post-CRA dispute came from, but I believe I can be confident in saying you won't find such advice in this forum.  Contact with CFPB is best left in most matters for when you've exhausted all other remedies.  These days, CFPB response is unreliable and unpredictable.

If the extended time frame should be 45 days + mail notification allowance (and I'm not claiming it is; not taking the time to review that now), then it's likely best to sit tight until the end of next week and DO NOTHING.  Hopefully by then you'll have a response letter in hand that says the tradelines for those creditors who haven't responded have been deleted.  (Always understand, a creditor may affirm the tradeline data as accurate subsequently, in which it can be restored to your credit report.)