Credit Card Annual Summaries

Does anyone find these useful?

Summaries like this one are among the reasons I've never bothered attempting to use Quicken, Mint, etc., to "track my spending."  So I tracked it... now what?

7EZe8wD.png 

I look at them if I remember or it pops up, but I don't make a point to review them.

I suppose I could use those to check my spending against my budget estimates to see if I need to adjust my forward spending projections instead of doing it manually, but personally I would rather download the transactions...makes it easier to identify recurring vs. one-off purchases at retailers we go to frequently.

Edited by CTSoxFan

I reviewed mine for the last 5 years on JPMR and in 2020 I spent 60% less than the average of the prior 4 years. The decrease being due to travel expenses reaching near zero in 2020. SAD!!

3 hours ago, nemo said:

I use them as an easy way to verify that I've remembered to document all my tax-deductible purchases.  The way they're divided into categories makes it easy to scan the individual items quickly.

Do you think I can deduct Other?  If so, that's $49.4k in deductions I hadn't anticipated!  :D 

7 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Do you think I can deduct Other?  If so, that's $49.4k in deductions I hadn't anticipated!  :D 

Ha!  I hadn't noticed that from the graphic.  That certainly makes it harder to use the annual summary the way I like to.

My only remaining card from Barclays is my Uber card, which I barely use anymore now that they've killed the rewards.  My other cards tend to have more useful categorizations.

I don't find them to be useful.

I usually have an Excel spreadsheet that I update everyday with my CC spend and payments. When I finished my year-end summary yesterday, I wasn't surprised by how much must I spent on dates (COVID didn't have too much of an effect on that). I was surprised a little bit by how much I spent on groceries; despite more trips to the grocery store this past year, I spent less in total compared to 2019.

It's easier to just export the charges to Excel and do your own sorting.