Master 2021 Approvals and CLIs Thread (Post Yours!)

cv91915

The recent credit line increase to Chase Amazon cardholder was Chase is absolutely afraid of being abandoned by Amazon. Chase doesn't like to be ditched. 

So, they increased the credit limit of the Amazon card without the cardholder's request. Haha...this is a significant increase in credit limit. :)

Welp, app'd Paypal Credit to buy something, but only got a $700 limit.  Odd, because I sit on about $300k in total limits and my credit is basically perfect.

Obviously a mistake, so I go for a CLI.  Denied.

I call in, closed.  Call next day, closed.  Finally call in today, realizing I already have a card with Synchrony (JTV), and it's at $10k...maybe they just don't like the exposure.

Get CSR to drop JTV card to $5k.  Get transferred and ask for Paypal CLI.  Denied.

Fine.

Close both cards.  Eff the noise; I'm obviously not the right customer for Synchrony, and they're not the right lender for me.

Closing my JTV shopping account as well.  Collateral damage...feel the pain of who you associate with I suppose.

19 hours ago, brainchasm said:

Welp, app'd Paypal Credit to buy something, but only got a $700 limit.  Odd, because I sit on about $300k in total limits and my credit is basically perfect.

I call in, closed.  Call next day, closed.  Finally call in today, realizing I already have a card with Synchrony (JTV), and it's at $10k...maybe they just don't like the exposure.

Get CSR to drop JTV card to $5k.  Get transferred and ask for Paypal CLI.  Denied.

Fine.

Close both cards.  Eff the noise; I'm obviously not the right customer for Synchrony, and they're not the right lender for me.

Closing my JTV shopping account as well.  Collateral damage...feel the pain of who you associate with I suppose.

There's a reason they are referred to as "Suchrony".  The only card that I have is the Amazon store card, and that's only because I get the 5% back on all my purchases.  I would REALLY have to be overwhelmed to open another.

2 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

There's a reason they are referred to as "Suchrony".  The only card that I have is the Amazon store card, and that's only because I get the 5% back on all my purchases.  I would REALLY have to be overwhelmed to open another.

Concur.  My experience is that their account management practices (statement issuance, transaction accuracy, etc.) are pretty sound.  I've had Amazon Store and Care Credit in place for about 6 years (and a Walmart that was in place for 7 years prior to acquisition by Cap 1), and have never had any significant issues post open.

However, they're underwriting and credit limit policies are all over the place ... almost seemingly random.  And anecdotes from those who've called for recon are a sorry mixed bag as well.

Back when the Synchrony "shopping cart trick" was a "thing", I thought to myself, "not the first time I've seen people indiscriminately grab at crap" ;)

On 11/30/2021 at 3:39 PM, brainchasm said:

Fine.

There's always Affirm if you want to split your leotard purchases into 4 E-Z payments.

15 minutes ago, digitalscotch said:

Credit Score: Exp 609 TU 611 EQ 626

What’s my next move?

I would recommend finding a source of FICO scores to know where you actually are.  :)  

The skores that Kredit Carma gives away have no value.  

17 minutes ago, digitalscotch said:

BK7 Discharged Sept 2021

12/6/21 CapOne Plat MC $3000

Congrats on emerging from that and into a new chapter (no pun intended ;) ).

Is the Capital One card the only one you currently have open?

If yes, you definitely want some additional quality cards (go slower to get better cards, vs. hurrying up and taking what you can get). 

In order to help we'd need to ask who was IIB so we don't bore you with useless suggestions.  :D 

11 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I would recommend finding a source of FICO scores to know where you actually are.  :)  

The skores that Kredit Carma gives away have no value.  

I got my scores from my Experian account - are those legit or should I get a fico subscription instead? 

11 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Is the Capital One card the only one you currently have open?

Yes, this is the only card I have open. It's the first one I attempted. I was pleasantly surprised at the credit limit. 

I am considering opening a secured line of credit at my credit union and/or another card of some type. I would love some guidance on who to open and timing. I want to use whatever strategy will boost my credit rather than randomly open a bunch of cards that aren't really helpful. 

Any suggestions?? 🙂

2 hours ago, digitalscotch said:

I got my scores from my Experian account - are those legit or should I get a fico subscription instead? 

I was mainly questioning the TransUnion and Equifax scores. 

Experian is a FICO 8, that's useful.

Yes, this is the only card I have open. It's the first one I attempted. I was pleasantly surprised at the credit limit. 

Capital One is a good place to start!  Glad you were able to pick that up.  If the card has an AF and/or no rewards, you may be able to PC (product change) and take a step up after a year.

I want to use whatever strategy will boost my credit rather than randomly open a bunch of cards that aren't really helpful. 

13 hours ago, cv91915 said:

In order to help we'd need to ask who was IIB so we don't bore you with useless suggestions.  :D 

:) 

In general, look for cards that you can keep over the long-term.  One of the biggest assets to your credit is longevity of the history, so opening cards now that you have to close and replace later is a bit counterproductive (unless it's your only option, of course) because each new card hits your AAoA (average age of accounts).

There are a couple of commonly-recommended secured cards, one from SDFCU and one from Bank of America.  They both graduate to unsecured, and the Bank of America one even pays rewards.  You could even PC this later.

I'm not saying that secured cards are your only option, just one suggestion in the absence of knowing who was IIBd.

Tried my luck at BOA again big FOAD again. Account open 6 years still at the starting limit $3900 🤣.  Maybe not helping that i shut down checking and savings accounts a year ago to avoid below balance fees.  Never looking back!  Have $220k credit limit with 22 cards. 720+ fico 8s all 3. 

See ya BOA ! Lol I'll try again in 6 months for the humor/absurdity factor

On 12/9/2021 at 3:53 PM, digitalscotch said:

Included in my BK:

AMEX - persona + biz
Cap One - personal + biz
Chase - personal
Discover - personal
BOA - personal secured @ 10k

You can kiss Chase and Amex goodbye - Chase permanently or close to it. My XDW did a less-the-full debt settlement with Chase years ago and they still held a grudge against her. Amex seems to forgive after about 10 years or so these days. It used to be Amex was forever also.

I burned Discover in the 1990's when they were still Greenwood Trust. Through the mergers and spinoffs in the early 00's I got back in with them in 2006.

• 1 month later...

Decided today to try getting a CLI to my Lowes card via website. Original limit was $8k and have had card at least one year. I regularly make purchases and had an existing balance of $2300. 

Request 1) $8 -> $20k; approved

Request 2) $20k -> $25k; approved

Request 3) $25 -> $30k; approved

After requesting 3 times over 2 mins I decided to stop. I figured I have a $30k Home Depot card ($14k balance currently) so they could at least match that.

Btw does anyone know if there are any ramifications from hitting it over and over?!

My fico scores are around 780-800. 

On 12/16/2021 at 9:51 AM, DebtFreeIn04 said:

Tried my luck at BOA again big FOAD again. Account open 6 years still at the starting limit $3900 🤣.  Maybe not helping that i shut down checking and savings accounts a year ago to avoid below balance fees.  Never looking back!  Have $220k credit limit with 22 cards. 720+ fico 8s all 3. 

See ya BOA ! Lol I'll try again in 6 months for the humor/absurdity factor

BoA seems impossible to get CLIs. I’ve had a card with them that was at $6k for 10+ years and then they decided to bump it to $17.3k out of the blue. In the past when I requested it was always denied, so I stopped. I have several cards in the $20-30K from respectable institutions yet they seemed to always hold out. 

16 minutes ago, drewx2 said:

BoA seems impossible to get CLIs. I’ve had a card with them that was at $6k for 10+ years and then they decided to bump it to $17.3k out of the blue. In the past when I requested it was always denied, so I stopped. I have several cards in the $20-30K from respectable institutions yet they seemed to always hold out. 

You are posting in last years thread. This is the one for 2022...............

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?/topic/627059-master-2022-approvals-and-clis-thread-post-yours/

20 minutes ago, drewx2 said:

Decided today to try getting a CLI to my Lowes card via website. Original limit was $8k and have had card at least one year. I regularly make purchases and had an existing balance of $2300. 

Request 1) $8 -> $20k; approved

Request 2) $20k -> $25k; approved

Request 3) $25 -> $30k; approved

After requesting 3 times over 2 mins I decided to stop. I figured I have a $30k Home Depot card ($14k balance currently) so they could at least match that.

Btw does anyone know if there are any ramifications from hitting it over and over?!

My fico scores are around 780-800. 

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?/topic/627059-master-2022-approvals-and-clis-thread-post-yours/