Their Finances Ravaged, Customers Fear Banks Will Withhold Stimulus Checks

I received emails from Citi and Crap1 today with loads of information on how to prepare for the potential of getting one of these welfare checks. From citi:

You may be entitled to a Stimulus Welfare Payment as part of the recent Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021. According to the Treasury Department, electronic Direct Deposit payments have already started being deposited and will continue into next week. For payments made by check or debit card, the Treasury Department will start mailing them this week and may continue over several weeks.

How Can I Prepare?

2 hours ago, hegemony said:

I received emails from Citi and Crap1 today with loads of information on how to prepare for the potential of getting one of these welfare checks. From citi:

I'm getting all kinds of messages too.  Yesterday Wells Fargo warned me about the potential of long lines at branches, and had other useful info like:

"You can make a deposit at an ATM or with our mobile app."  

Apparently you have to tell people this.

Edited by cv91915

I've also got tons of messages from banks I have accounts with. I've been deleting them. The problem with me is they're wasting their time sending me these emails. I don't qualify because of the income limitation (the same as last time). It doesn't bother me, but should people of all incomes get this helicopter money? If you make more, you've already paid more in taxes.

Anyway, let everyone enjoy their money.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:23 AM, cv91915 said:

Exactly how does a bank stop the US Treasury from mailing a stimulus check?

If you received your tax refund by direct deposit into your bank account last year, they simply deposit your stimulus check into your account electronically. I think some banks are seizing those deposits before the account holders can access them and applying the amount to past due accounts.

2 hours ago, Burdell said:

If you received your tax refund by direct deposit into your bank account last year, they simply deposit your stimulus check into your account electronically. I think some banks are seizing those deposits before the account holders can access them and applying the amount to past due accounts.

If the payment is made by direct deposit, there is no check.