Fighting Medical Debt

The last post in this topic was posted 737 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I'm new to this group, but I've been doing some reading here for a few days.  I currently have medical collections accounts that amount to a little over 5k.  It's truly RUINING  my credit, as I have nothing else on my report besides a car loan.  I've read the tutorial left by whychat and even went over the various instructions left with good instructions.  I'm wondering however, how up to date are these practices?  I've done a lot of reading on various sites.  Some say that trying to fight a medical debt by claiming HIPAA violations is a major waste of time, and can sometimes backfire on you in terms of negotiating power when trying to settle for a lower rate.  At this point though, I'm willing to give anything that's proven a try.  I have a few accounts that I never received a bill for originally, and others that are just small amounts that could be paid outright.  I'm also curious if processes like this work for walk-in clinics like Patient-First/Urgent Care  Although they aren't considered a hospital, they are considered an emergency room in a sense.  So does this mean that they also have to comply with Section 501(r) of the Affordable Care Act?

I am curious about another thing as well.  I had an account with a provider, they sent me a bill originally for $25.  I recklessly forgot to pay it and it went to collections.  However, once it got to collections I saw that an addition fee of $75 had been added to the account.  There was no explanation as to why.  When I called the original service provider, they told me that they charged a fee because it was sent to collections.  It this legally allowed?  Can they decide to charge addition fees or interest for accounts that are outstanding?

follow the guides ( they are up to date and so far NOBODY has reported ANY unwanted results from following them )

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

The initial step ( after opting out and deleting old addresses) is to send each CRA the initial dispute letter, list ALL medical accounts as they appear on the report you are disputing.

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Meanwhile, get your EOMBs ( explanation of medical benefits) from your insurance Co.(s) for the dates of the medical services on the reported accounts.

IN GENERAL-- accounts on your reports that are over 2 years old ( dating from the date of medical service) are being reported by CA's who are NOT authorized to collect or report as they are not in a CURRENT business relationship with the OC and have obtained your account data from either another CA or a data miner.

Once you have completed the initial steps and have some results, come back to THIS post for individual instructions on procedures to follow depending on those results.

• 1 month later...

The first letter ( after opting out and deleting old addresses) you should have sent was to the CRAs==

The initial step ( after opting out and deleting old addresses) is to send each CRA the initial dispute letter, list ALL medical accounts as they appear on the report you are disputing.

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Are you saying you have received no response from any of the CRAs ( credit reporting associations=Experian,Equifax,Trans Union)??

Yes.  I opted out, and sent the 3 separate letters out by priority (the envelopes were around $25).  I no longer have the receipt given (this is a huge mistake on my part) but it was sent back in December.  I wasn't sure on how long I should be waiting before expecting to receive some sort of reply.

It is unfortunate that you didn't follow the instructions and retain the receipts for the priority mail. You would have been able to look up their delivery data on line. You say you no longer have the receipts "given"?? How did you mail them?? You should have (if you followed the directions) the priority mail tracking #s on the letters you sent.

Here is how to send priority mail letters:
Go to the PO and get a dozen flat rate priority mail envelopes (6X10 is the easiest to use)
You can either buy them prepaid with the postage ($7.35) or buy the priority mail stamps separately.
Get a stack (they come in a book) of FREE USPS tracking forms.
Whenever you send a letter, affix your copy of each receipt to the hard copy of the letter you have sent.
You will, of course, be entering that PM tracking # in the heading of each letter.
You can also print a priority mail label on line with a USPO account. Make sure you do NOT add signature requirements. You can fit the label on a 6x10 envelope by folding under the bottom.

The last post in this topic was posted 737 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.