AmEx Plans New Perks to Lure Platinum Members to Centurion

4 hours ago, hegemony said:

I have neither Platinum or Centurion.  Please promise to shoot me if I'm thinking of spending $10,000 for an initiation fee plus $5,000 per year for one card, because there must be something seriously wrong with me.  If Amex pays me the $10,000 + $5,000 to apply for the card, I'll consider it.  

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'shoot me,' but it would still have to be one hell of a bonus to get me to pay for Centurion.  The key to ANY card with a fee is "can I extract more from the card than the fee is costing me." If the answer is yes, then the fee makes sense.  If not, then it does not make sense.  And the traditional fees mentioned for Centurion put this squarely in a does not make sense category for me.  For others, perhaps they can get the value or it isn't a big enough drop in the annual outlay bucket to worry about.  I could afford it but cannot rationalize it...

2 hours ago, Burgerwars said:

I have neither Platinum or Centurion.  Please promise to shoot me if I'm thinking of spending $10,000 for an initiation fee plus $5,000 per year for one card, because there must be something seriously wrong with me.  If Amex pays me the $10,000 + $5,000 to apply for the card, I'll consider it.  

I think this announcement might be priming the pump for the rumored intermediate card that will be more than plat but fall short of centurion.

I can't imagine justifying centurion... hegemony has long said that "Centurion is for people who spend a lot while JPMR is for people who have a lot."

8 hours ago, centex said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'shoot me,' but it would still have to be one hell of a bonus to get me to pay for Centurion.  The key to ANY card with a fee is "can I extract more from the card than the fee is costing me." If the answer is yes, then the fee makes sense.  If not, then it does not make sense.  And the traditional fees mentioned for Centurion put this squarely in a does not make sense category for me.  For others, perhaps they can get the value or it isn't a big enough drop in the annual outlay bucket to worry about.  I could afford it but cannot rationalize it...

On the topic of "shoot me," years ago I was in the break room with a co-worker. The TV was on and there was a strange/ugly looking woman on the channel the set was tuned to. My co-worker says to me, "please promise to shoot me if I end up looking like that." I then tell her, "OK, where's the gun?" She wouldn't talk to me for a week after that. 😕

Edited by Burgerwars
  • 2 months later...
On 12/9/2020 at 10:20 AM, centex said:

Exactly this.  Supposedly you have to be putting $250k/year plus through the card to get offered Centurion.  If you are spending at that level there is a good chance that the $10k+$5k annual is meaningless to your overall financial picture...but, what benefits can it offer that are worth over $14k more than the platinum benefits...I would venture to guess a large portion of those who get the card do so primarily for the ego stroke.