Best way to deal with collection account past SOL

Hello all,

New member here trying to deal with a couple of issues on my CR.

I have a collection account showing for an unpaid utility bill at a former address. The bill was apparently sent to my previous address and I never received it. Original amount of bill was ~$300, now with interest the collection agency has racked it up to ~$500. It is past the SOL for my state (California) but will not fall off of my credit report until 5/23.

I have searched and found Why Chats SOL program, is that the best way to handle this? or should I try pay for delete? or maybe some other option.

Thanks

According to California Code of Civil Procedure § 337(1), the statute of limitations for a written contract is four years.

Collection agents violate the FDCPA if they file a debt collection lawsuit against a consumer after the statute of limitation expired (Kimber v. Federal Financial Corp. 668 F.Supp. 1480 (1987) and Basile v. Blatt, Hasenmiller, Liebsker & Moore LLC, 632 F. Supp. 2d 842, 845 (2009)).

Also, Senate Bill 233 (passed 2013) 

The bill would prohibit a debt buyer from initiating a suit to collect a debt if the statute of limitations on the cause of action has expired.

The SOL for being sued has nothing to do with credit reporting.