Equifax Demolished Me Over 1 Address Dispute

Toast73

The last post in this topic was posted 788 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I wish the title was an overstatement.

I disputed an address that was one I had legitimately never seen, in a city I have never been to.

Next day, I log into the dispute platform to get an updated copy of my report.

They managed to delete:

• 9 positive revolving accounts;
  • 2 positive closed auto accounts;
  • 7 chargeoffs; and,
  • The legitimate version of my name.

But left:

• Two chargeoffs, one which is a paid one.

And added:

• A previously removed chargeoff;
  • One previously removed address; and,
  • The illegitimate version of my name.

CK shows a 109 point score drop with the above information reflected. MyFako hasn't updated yet, but must be slow as they showed an update to a dispute involving an account Equifax had already deleted.

To top it off, I get a letter in the mail saying my Equifax dispute is complete.

The dispute? My AU Amex account which Equifax never reported, nor had I ever disputed.

Good times.

Wait...all of this was triggered by an Additional Cardholder account that wasn't reporting?  But that you say you didn't dispute?  That ending falls into the "Wait...WUT?!?!?" category.

But yeah...channeling marv in the sentiment that most disputes are NOT something that should be done online.  

I’ve dealt with the split file situation myself, and your situation sounds a lot like my experience. Unfortunately, I think you might have to file a CFPB complaint in order to get their attention and get it fixed. Someone with authority and know how at Equifax will have to fix this. The split file may have happened due to excess credit pulls via soft inquiries or it may have happened because you disputed the address.

9 hours ago, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

I’ve dealt with the split file situation myself, and your situation sounds a lot like my experience. Unfortunately, I think you might have to file a CFPB complaint in order to get their attention and get it fixed. Someone with authority and know how at Equifax will have to fix this. The split file may have happened due to excess credit pulls via soft inquiries or it may have happened because you disputed the address.

I filed an arbitration case and told them they needed to pay my filing fee because I'm indigent. I was NOT alleging FCRA (which Equifax does not arb cases alleging FCRA), but mishandling my information and a general disregard for the very dispute process they promote. In my arb case, I also allege lack of access to website (although site access is not guaranteed, I included the fact that 98% of the time I cannot access the non-monetary award I was entitled to due to the Breach) and dispute results being sent to my address (for disputes I never initiated on accounts that were never listed on my report to begin with)

I also stressed the fact my information was part of the Grand Ole Breach, and should be handled a bit more judiciously. The RA got it this past Wednesday.

Today, I noticed they re-merged my file, removed the disputed address but reinserted another old address. Ugh.

They still have disputes not addressed from around 50 days ago.

I am going to go ahead and call ADR tomorrow and pay the $200 so this can get moving because I do not expect Equifax to forward ADR $200 anytime soon despite the fact that, provided my request was in writing, they would consider paying the fee if paying it was "burdensome" (not exact language, but same context) to me.

3 hours ago, hdporter said:

Not necessarily the way I would have addressed this ... but it's clear that you got their attention and for that, KUDOS!

Calling their overseas customer support never helped. Whining to the CFPB never helped me, neither.

Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING to reach out.

I am not particularly excited about filing an arbitration case against them, but with the evidence I have retained, I am willing to take this all the way to the appeals process if needed.

All I really want is my file to be right, to NOT have disputes opened up for accounts that never reported in the first place, and my personal information to be corrected to reflect who I am and where I live.

An overkill? Unnecessary measures? Probably. But again, I think their RA is awake now and I will get stateside assistance.

Sometimes the simplistic way is the way to go. I have had success with removing addresses, removing a bankruptcy and combining a split file. I just called the regular customer service line and demanded a supervisor, once the supervisor was on the line I explained I need  special handling in the US. Was transferred to Atlanta and each time spoke to very cordial individuals who solved my issues.

16 hours ago, StantheMan said:

Sometimes the simplistic way is the way to go. I have had success with removing addresses, removing a bankruptcy and combining a split file. I just called the regular customer service line and demanded a supervisor, once the supervisor was on the line I explained I need  special handling in the US. Was transferred to Atlanta and each time spoke to very cordial individuals who solved my issues.

I wish it had it that easy.

I remember in October trying to get special handling stateside.

Two reps told me that "special handling doesn't exist". One went as far as saying THEY were special handling as they sipped their tea and petted their goat from their one bedroom flat in Bengaluru.

I will wait to see what happens; will pay the arb fee today and let it run its course.

2 hours ago, hegemony said:

political posts will get you banned.

Huh?

The poster above me said to wait a specific time to do anything about CFPB.

I asked why - as in, is it easier during that time? Or, is it more advantageous to use the CFPB?

"why is that" is a question, not an insinuation.

And people on CrackBoards have the the right to slam MyFico about what they posts?

But you know, fuck this, I've had enough of you armchair jurists with piss poor attitudes and about 0 common fucking sense.

I see posts about how MyFico forums are so bad, yet half of you wanna-be attorney fucktards treat people with such disrespect that it's sickening.

Fuck this site, and by the way,

MAGA 2020, Fucktard

Edited by Toast73

1 hour ago, Toast73 said:

Huh?

The poster above me said to wait a specific time to do anything about CFPB.

I asked why - as in, is it easier during that time? Or, is it more advantageous to use the CFPB?

"why is that" is a question, not an insinuation.

And people on CrackBoards have the the right to slam MyFico about what they posts?

But you know, fuck this, I've had enough of you armchair jurists with piss poor attitudes and about 0 common fucking sense.

I see posts about how MyFico forums are so bad, yet half of you wanna-be attorney fucktards treat people with such disrespect that it's sickening.

Fuck this site, and by the way,

MAGA 2020, Fucktard

???? you completely misread my reply. If I had replied with a substantive content on why @IndyPoolPlayer suggested you wait, I would have violated the TOS. Let's just say it has to do with changes that some think will be coming to the CFPB along the lines that it will once again grow a pair of balls.

The last post in this topic was posted 788 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.