Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

An Amex AU with a previous Charge off

Greetings Everyone,

So I recently added myself as an AU to my family's Amex. I previously had a 13k Amex Charge off. I wanted to ask about setting up Amex Log-ins for this AU card I now have . Since my original log-ins are attached to my account that has been Charged off. Will adding this AU card to same online account will trigger any shut down from Amex?

What is the recommended way of going about having that online access?

BTW, that you were able to be added denotes you are off the amex blacklist. That was my first step to getting back in with amex 10 years post BK.

how long ago was your charge off?

2 hours ago, Fred030 said:

Greetings Everyone,

So I recently added myself as an AU to my family's Amex. I previously had a 13k Amex Charge off. I wanted to ask about setting up Amex Log-ins for this AU card I now have . Since my original log-ins are attached to my account that has been Charged off. Will adding this AU card to same online account will trigger any shut down from Amex?

What is the recommended way of going about having that online access?

Not sure what you mean. How do you add yourself to your family's Amex? A person is the principal cardholder, not a family. Do you mean another member of your family (wife, brother, sister?) is the principal and they added you?

2 hours ago, hegemony said:

BTW, that you were able to be added denotes you are off the amex blacklist. That was my first step to getting back in with amex 10 years post BK.

how long ago was your charge off?

Charge Off was from 2016. Lately Amex have been asking me to pay the balance and reinstate my account. I never bought into it. But now that I am AU, I am still hesitant because I don't want to trigger something.

1 hour ago, cashnocredit said:

Not sure what you mean. How do you add yourself to your family's Amex? A person is the principal cardholder, not a family. Do you mean another member of your family (wife, brother, sister?) is the principal and they added you?

Sorry for confusion. Yes DB added me as an AU and Amex sent me a metal gold card. I believe they switched from plastic to metal. Should I create a new log-ins?

1 hour ago, Fred030 said:

Sorry for confusion. Yes DB added me as an AU and Amex sent me a metal gold card. I believe they switched from plastic to metal. Should I create a new log-ins?

Ah. Got it.  I think Hege's point that they vetted you when you got the AU card likely means you are safe. OTOH, this exact situation hasn't come up before IIRC. Should you do it please post your experience for others similarly situated.

7 hours ago, shifter said:

FYI many years ago when I was on the blacklist the first time, my wife added me as an AU and a week later they reviewed her account and closed it. 

Did you get the card and then her account was closed?

3 hours ago, Fred030 said:

Did you get the card and then her account was closed?

Don't believe I ever got the card. It was pretty much immediate shutdown. 

10 hours ago, shifter said:

Don't believe I ever got the card. It was pretty much immediate shutdown. 

What I read, if they send you an AU card, you are good to go.

Do you have Amex now?

You have come a long way, however, I could not see you talking about regaining an AMEX (Primary or AU) in your thread.

No this was back in 2008 during my first rebuild. We're both on the Amex BL now for the long haul. 

On 11/18/2020 at 5:12 PM, Fred030 said:

Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't read that AU approval as any indication that you're off the Amex blacklist 4 years after incurring an unresolved (unpaid/unsettled) CO with them, and would treat the approval as a glitch.

I would suggest keeping a low profile with them until such time as you decide you might want to pay the CO in full.  And, yes, I recommend creating a new account profile for your AU card.

Now, having said this, there are sporadic reports of individuals being removed from the Amex blacklist early by virtue of having established an AU account through a cardholder with strong standing.  What's not clear to me is whether this is true in the cases where Amex has been burned by an unpaid balance.  If you're tempted to test this out, I'd suggest waiting until your 2nd AU card anniversary.  Or, if that feels unnecessarily conservative, maybe you want to chance it at a year.  While @shifter's anecdote is dated, I find it very good reason to exercise caution here.

14 hours ago, hdporter said:

Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't read that AU approval as any indication that you're off the Amex blacklist 4 years after incurring an unresolved (unpaid/unsettled) CO with them, and would treat the approval as a glitch.

I would suggest keeping a low profile with them until such time as you decide you might want to pay the CO in full.  And, yes, I recommend creating a new account profile for your AU card.

Now, having said this, there are sporadic reports of individuals being removed from the Amex blacklist early by virtue of having established an AU account through a cardholder with strong standing.  What's not clear to me is whether this is true in the cases where Amex has been burned by an unpaid balance.  If you're tempted to test this out, I'd suggest waiting until your 2nd AU card anniversary.  Or, if that feels unnecessarily conservative, maybe you want to chance it at a year.  While @shifter's anecdote is dated, I find it very good reason to exercise caution here.

I am not positive yet that I am off the list after burning them for an amount north of 12k. I have made a new account profile. Though it is new profile, it brought up my original MSD. That is indicative of this fact that AMEX knows who this AU is. It has been a week and account is good and running.

I am hoping to stay low for now and see for 90 days. 

Before I attempted AU, Amex did send me a letter last month asking to pay past due balance attached to the gold card and get my account reinstated. I have not bought into it yet.

If I see any developments, I will report back.

On 11/22/2020 at 3:11 PM, hdporter said:

IME getting added as an AU after years of being rejected as an AU was the first sign I was off the BL.