Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Chexsystems and EWS with Suspected Fraud History

Hey guys,

I am new here and nice to meet you all. I have been browsing this creditboards site for some time and it has been very helpful and I must thank you all for that. Without much delay let me explain my situation. So Bank of America has closed my account due to suspected fraud and put me on both Chexsystems and EWS. Basically I remember I much pretty stupid enough trust someone who I have been helping and take money on behalf and received three checks from two clients (who turned out to be fraudsters) and I ended up depositing fake bank cheques (without realizing those are fake). To make matters worse I ended up depositing through mobile, mainly due to COVID-19 and I stayed home and worked during the day and it was hard for me to go to bank. At the end, even though no money has been siphoned off, my bank account got closed. As you already know the process, I tried talking to BOA and nothing worked (even sent a letter to them). I tried opening a new account in Citi but due to EWS i think (my bank account got closed within a week). I asked for consumer report from both ChexSystems and EWS and filed dispute with my explanations with necessary supportive documents. A month later, ChexSystems replied and said the investigations are complete and the suspected fraud entry that BOA reported is legit and will stay on file. I guess I am expecting the same reply from EWS. I am thinking of taking my next phase of action and file a police report and taking all the items I received from them including the fake bank cheques, the packages with address label in those, and my conversation with the fraud clients which are recording in text messages and whatsapp messages. I was wondering whether you guys have better suggestion for me, to get out of the mess.

I already opened an account through Chime (Stride Bank NA) and currently banking with them with no issues. As I am moving to Florida next year (I am thinking of opening a second chance account maybe through BBVA, since I need to have backup account). Also I am planning to buy a car and a house in next year or two and I was wondering whether having records like this (suspected fraud) will have adverse effect while taking any loans. I also work in a company where they offer ESPP at Fidelity. I havent opened up a Fidelity account yet but with a history like this, will I face any issues?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, koshai said:

As I am moving to Florida next year (I am thinking of opening a second chance account maybe through BBVA

BBVA is being acquired by PNC so I would apply PNC rules to this situation

8 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

BBVA is being acquired by PNC so I would apply PNC rules to this situation

Thanks for the heads up. I will try exploring more options. Thanks @StarkRaven$ for the reference. I looked through all of them.

What about brokerage accounts and loan accounts? Also should filing a police report be a better choice or go through a lawyer?

11 hours ago, koshai said:

Thanks for the heads up. I will try exploring more options. Thanks @StarkRaven$ for the reference. I looked through all of them.

What about brokerage accounts and loan accounts? Also should filing a police report be a better choice or go through a lawyer?

Bump for more input to help OP

13 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

Bump for more input to help OP

Yes I think to help your case to be more credible you should file a police report. Here is another thread. If no one else comes on to offer help do a search on the Creditboards site under "fraud"..

I'd begin by going into my local branch to speak with an officer.  Someone at the local level TENDS to be the best starting point.  This is one of MANY reasons to avoid mega banks and stick with the small, local institutions though...they make the EFFORT to know the customer and KYC isn't just some corporate and federal policy in a binder.

So I went to file a police report along with my evidences. I explained everything to them but they didnt take any report since no money has been stolen. They just asked me to talk to the bank and explain to them. So since that is not working for me then i guess I have to talk to a lawyer then.

3 hours ago, koshai said:

So I went to file a police report along with my evidences. I explained everything to them but they didnt take any report since no money has been stolen. They just asked me to talk to the bank and explain to them. So since that is not working for me then i guess I have to talk to a lawyer then.

When did you actually go in and sit down in front of an officer at the Branch?  You are ALWAYS (well, almost) going to be better served by dealing with the people who SHOULD know you.

Edited by centex
typo

1 hour ago, koshai said:

I went today on the branch. Unfortunately I dont anyone from the branch.

So did you speak to an officer of the bank? 

YOUR ACCOUNT AGREEMENT:

Generally states you will be responsible for ALL deposits. Without a goodwill removal by the bank, you are SOL. Banks take a hard line on those types of deposits. **Even though you did not know the checks were fraudulent, you are still responsible for keeping the account in good standing. 

The best move is to deal with nonChex, non-EWS banks. There are many options available while you are in Chex-EWS "jail" for the next five (5) years.

As mentioned above, you could go into the bank and explain your situation, asking for removal. You contact the branch manager when trying a goodwill approach. However, it may be a longshot and there are never guarantees.

What do you think a lawyer could accomplish? 

Edited by tmcgill

12 hours ago, koshai said:

I went today on the branch. Unfortunately I dont anyone from the branch.

You don't WHAT? 

You didn't talk to anyone?  You don't know anyone?  You didn't get relief from anyone? 

You are seeking guidance and we have attempted to offer guidance, but damn...this is like pulling teeth.