Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

How to Achieve Removal from Capital One Blacklist

I had a chargeoff with them that I paid off for less than the full amount.

When I go to the prequal site, it doesn't soft pull me, and tells me ""Based on your Pre-Approval form information, we observed activity on a prior Capital One account that is not consistent with our expectations for account usage".

So I assume that means something other than a chargeoff?

I tried to email the EO a month ago about it, and they must hate me, because they never responded.

Any tips would be appreciated. The QS1 is probably my only current hope of having a cashback card until my scores improve.

Any other accounts charged off that they have since acquired?  After all, they got a lot of store cards (including Neiman Marcus and Saks) and also have some of the old HSBC crap accounts (ie. Orchard). 

I've never known CrapOne to blacklist but maybe they wised up in the current climate...

Kohl's card, but that one is paid off as well.

So IDK, perhaps you are right, and they decided to blacklist people who chargeoff. Stranger things have happened....

2 hours ago, Toast73 said:

Kohl's card, but that one is paid off as well.

So IDK, perhaps you are right, and they decided to blacklist people who chargeoff. Stranger things have happened....

There are some who remove people from a blacklist when the bank has been made whole.  Others remove after a decade or so. 

There are some banks worth being in with...IMO, Crap One is NOT one of those banks.  And I say that as someone who, if willing to tolerate the multiple hard pulls for approval, should be approved.  I've got store cards they acquired but expect to never seek out one of the regular credit cards.

11 hours ago, Toast73 said:

I had a chargeoff with them that I paid off for less than the full amount.

When I go to the prequal site, it doesn't soft pull me, and tells me ""Based on your Pre-Approval form information, we observed activity on a prior Capital One account that is not consistent with our expectations for account usage".

So I assume that means something other than a chargeoff?

I tried to email the EO a month ago about it, and they must hate me, because they never responded.

Any tips would be appreciated. The QS1 is probably my only current hope of having a cashback card until my scores improve.

if syphilis told you it did not want to infect you would you keep trying?

10 hours ago, insolent1 said:

Cap-1 is notorious for giving everyone another turn at having one of their cards. Wait until after the 20th of January and reapply.  

My goal was to actually avoid them altogether, and shoot for a prime card with decent cash back. I think I just missed the Penfed cutoff at 632 FICO9, and on recon they basically took my tax returns and re-sent me the initial denial letter.

The Freedom Unlimited has the best cash back for what we do (shop at actual supermarkets, dine out, travel), but my Slate and Freedom were IIB.

The Blue Cash Preferred seems like another good choice, but I need to be 5 years & 1 month from my bankruptcy discharge at minimum to apply with them (that is June 2021).

Discover IT cash back seems nice with the rotating categories. I just paid their CO in full, so maybe they will let me in eventually.

5 hours ago, Toast73 said:

My goal was to actually avoid them altogether, and shoot for a prime card with decent cash back. I think I just missed the Penfed cutoff at 632 FICO9, and on recon they basically took my tax returns and re-sent me the initial denial letter.

The Freedom Unlimited has the best cash back for what we do (shop at actual supermarkets, dine out, travel), but my Slate and Freedom were IIB.

The Blue Cash Preferred seems like another good choice, but I need to be 5 years & 1 month from my bankruptcy discharge at minimum to apply with them (that is June 2021).

Discover IT cash back seems nice with the rotating categories. I just paid their CO in full, so maybe they will let me in eventually.

There is always the option of loading $5-10K into a secured account, which has the added bonus of potential future creditors starting higher than if they saw a report with a sub-$1K line.  There are SOME banks that offer reasonable rewards on a secured account.  You will have to do your own homework in that regard because I don't keep up with all of them...I just know I have seen some of them as I peruse various bank websites. 

Some rebuilding cards that have worked for me:

Discover secured - Graduates starting at 7 months, often with a good CLI. They have a pre-qualifier, which will offer the secured if you can get it. I have seen people denied for previous bad history with Discover, but the pre-qualifier will tell you so you don't have to waste an HP.

BofA Secured - They have a cash back secured card that could graduate in a year or less, but they want your profile to improve before they allow graduation if you have baddies

BB&T - Try their pre-qualifier. My husband got a $2,500 SL with them with many baddies showing on his report.

Comenity - You could try getting one of their store cards (JUST 1) mainly to increase open accounts/available credit

Secured Credit Union Cards - State Department FCU has a good one, DCU has one (although they are strict about it), and NFCU has a good one as well if you can get in (try asking a family member to sponsor you)

It has been my experience with rebuilding that some creditors will deny anyone with any negative items or any unpaid negative items. Chase, Citi, or US Bank are like this. I was actually denied the DCU secured card when I still had unpaid items reporting. After getting your finances back together, you kind of have to go with what lenders will approve you. I think it is very difficult to get back in with any lender to whom you previously defaulted on. Cap1 may be an exception for some people, but generally what centex said is accurate. 7-10 years or never.

Edited by RehabbingANDBlabbing

On 11/18/2020 at 1:11 AM, centex said:

Any other accounts charged off that they have since acquired?  After all, they got a lot of store cards (including Neiman Marcus and Saks) and also have some of the old HSBC crap accounts (ie. Orchard). 

I've never known CrapOne to blacklist but maybe they wised up in the current climate...

My old HSBC crappy Orchard is now a lovely $102,750 CapOne.  

On 11/18/2020 at 4:27 AM, Toast73 said:

Out of sheer curiosity, did you try their preapproval option?  

https://www.discovercard.com/application/preapproval/initial?scmpgn=res_ctr_prq_cstm_anim_dsply&iq_id=res_ctr_prq_cstm_anim_dsply

Might as well link to other prequal ones through DoC. 
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/view-personalized-credit-card-offers/#Smaller_Card_Issuers

Edited by Zanshiro
Adding DoC link