6 hours ago, hegemony said:

confirmed. this is a change to this particular level of visa signature cards and not specific to US Skank, etc.

That it's not related to a specific bank's benefits should be a given (at least until now; I feel like the jury is out on this one).  What I find noteworthy is that rental CDW has been a default VI/MC benefit for 20+ years now.  When I engaged in a google search for some background info from VISA or the various credit card blogs (or something from the issuers themselves), I came up empty.  I can't even ascertain which VISA card levels are eliminating the benefit. 

Of particular concern is the possible degradation of rental CDW from primary to secondary coverage on "premium" travel cards.  One hopes to not have to avail oneself of this benefit, but the advantage of primary coverage in not needing to file a formal claim with your insurer, and the fact that (in my limited experience, at least) a claim resolved through your card issuer's insurance carrier won't be reported to the insurance databases (such as CLUE), is precious.

Setting VISA aside for the moment, prodded by this thread, it just came to my attention that Citi Aadvantage Executive Mastercard, with World Elite benefits, eliminated it's rental car coverage benefit in September (seems like a number of Citi cards were included in this benefit reduction). 

This is significant because this credit card is one of two held by Bev that matches her name as it appears on her driver's license (a consequence of the need to put her Aviator account in a matching name so that airline mileage is properly credited to her FF acct ... which in turn must tie to her full legal name used for travel identification). 

< Just so it doesn't seem like I'm holding back some secret, she uses her maiden name for all other personal/business purposes ... which is a permitted variation of her full legal name as specified on our marriage license. >

She rarely rents on her own these days for personal use (business rentals are put on a corporate car).  But, it happens that she's off to Boston tomorrow am for 3 days (then joining me in NV for the balance of the week; well, I'll in MS while she's in MA and we meet up Wed pm in Reno) .  We just did a last minute scurry to switch her rental over to the remaining credit card with an id that matches her driver's license ... < no surprise here > ... her Barclays Aviator.

On 11/13/2020 at 5:50 PM, hegemony said:

confirmed. this is a change to this particular level of visa signature cards and not specific to US Skank, etc.

I'm not going to challenge that statement.  What I'll note is that VISA notes Auto Rental CDW as one of the basic benefits build into it's VISA "Traditional" Card.

https://usa.visa.com/pay-with-visa/cards/visa-credit-cards/visa-traditional-credit-cards.html

Truth is, I don't think I've seen any tiered VISA card refer to a CDW benefit as being a consequence of that tiered status (vs a std VISA benefit).

Based upon the actions of the creditors noted here, VISA issuers apparently have the ability to strip out that benefit (admittedly, this may be something new).  I'm surprised that CDW continues to be listed as a "VISA Traditional Card" benefit, given this.

2 hours ago, hdporter said:

I'm not going to challenge that statement.  What I'll note is that VISA notes Auto Rental CDW as one of the basic benefits build into it's VISA "Traditional" Card.

https://usa.visa.com/pay-with-visa/cards/visa-credit-cards/visa-traditional-credit-cards.html

Truth is, I don't think I've seen any tiered VISA card refer to a CDW benefit as being a consequence of that tiered status (vs a std VISA benefit).

Based upon the actions of the creditors noted here, VISA issuers apparently have the ability to strip out that benefit (admittedly, this may be something new).  I'm surprised that CDW continues to be listed as a "VISA Traditional Card" benefit, given this.

This elimination of the coverage takes place on 02/01/2021. Until then the coverage is still in effect. The statement Visa states is true as of today.

3 hours ago, StantheMan said:

This elimination of the coverage takes place on 02/01/2021. Until then the coverage is still in effect. The statement Visa states is true as of today.

I'd appreciate some clarification and/or broader perspective.  The elimination of coverage impacted certain Citi Visa cards in Sep 2020.    It's been posted here that US Bank will follow suit effective 2/1/21.  Is there a broader announcement of benefit removal to which you're privy?

3 hours ago, hdporter said:

I'd appreciate some clarification and/or broader perspective.  The elimination of coverage impacted certain Citi Visa cards in Sep 2020.    It's been posted here that US Bank will follow suit effective 2/1/21.  Is there a broader announcement of benefit removal to which you're privy?

Beginning early 2021, your U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Card will include ID Navigator Powered by NortonLifeLock™ and Postmates benefits.
Here’s what is coming:
6d3e2d78-5b18-436f-b261-df75e7df1d76.gif
NortonLifeLock™
Receive complimentary access to ID Navigator Powered by NortonLifeLock,™ providing you with the tools to help keep you informed of potential threats to your identity.

Postmates
Access special offers and discounts with Postmates. Get food, drinks, groceries and more delivered right to your door.
Here’s what is changing:
▸ Effective February 1, 2021, the following benefits will no longer be available: Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Extended Warranty Protection and Purchase Security.
More details about these new benefits will be available in early 2021. Continue to enjoy all the valuable benefits that come with your card.
Edited by StantheMan
16 hours ago, hdporter said:

sorry for the short drive-by post; supposedly visa pricing is changing as it is trying to better distinguish its products. 0 years ago gold versus platinum meant something, today siggy is the new platinum. FWIW, the roll-off of CDW is also a function of issuer changes as citi removed it from MC products some time ago.